PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 exercises??

Queensgrad
04-12-2007, 08:09 PM
If you were only going to do 5 exercises to hit your entire body what would you do?

#1 Squat
#2 Deadlift
#3 Bench
#4 Military press

For the last pick I am torn between a core movement and something for back like chins or bent over row.

thirddan
04-12-2007, 08:12 PM
personally would replace miliary with chin ups and put barbell rows as number 5...

zer0
04-12-2007, 08:14 PM
dips = #3

skunkworks
04-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Deadlift, Squat, Overhead standing (military) press, bench press, and a tie between barbell rows or chinups.

I think you guys are underestimating the awesomeness of a well-executed standing overhead press.

Point Blank
04-12-2007, 08:44 PM
doing Squats and Deadlifts is a little un-necessary

and unless you are an advanced weightlifter ... weighted dips > bench

also ... you are missing Power Cleans

and you have no movement for your back

and since Deadlifts are more challenging of a movement than a Squats (especially if your upper leg is slightly long)
Squat > Deadlift ... if you can do them correctly Deadlifts > Squats

so something like this

Power Cleans
Squat
weighted chins
weidhted dips
barbell rows

J.Brown
04-12-2007, 08:47 PM
1. Squats
2. Deadlifts
3. Pull ups
4. Standing overhead press
5. Dips

the really beautiful thing about all of these movements is that once a certain level of strength they can all be done for high reps or with weight added on the bw exercies for low reps with equal effectiveness. they can also all be varied a bunch with different grips and postitions such as overhead or front squats, etc. etc.

bench would be 6 and barbell rows 7, but think they are both a bit back from "the big 5"

cheers. J.

Hendricks433
04-12-2007, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] The OP asked the top 5 exercises. Not if you could only do 5 exercises at the gym whats the 5 you would do. Deadlifts are in the top 5.

Point Blank
04-12-2007, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] The OP asked the top 5 exercises. Not if you could only do 5 exercises at the gym whats the 5 you would do. Deadlifts are in the top 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP's question is:
[ QUOTE ]
If you were only going to do 5 exercises to hit your entire body what would you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thremp
04-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Hendricks,

They're probably the most underrated exercise, best if you could only do one exercise, in the top 5 in both formulations and probably a couple other great comments also.

SmileyEH
04-12-2007, 10:32 PM
1# Clean and Jerk
2# Deadlift
3# Squat

who needs the rest?

Thremp
04-12-2007, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1# Clean and Jerk
2# Deadlift
3# Squat

who needs the rest?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bench, so you can shove yourself away from the table when dieting?

Colt McCoy
04-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Clean & Press
Kettlebell Swings
Deadlift
Squat

Side Press, Turkish Get Ups or Pullups

Hendricks433
04-13-2007, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

The OP asked the top 5 exercises. Not if you could only do 5 exercises at the gym whats the 5 you would do. Deadlifts are in the top 5.

OP's question is:

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ] my bad I read the title and his 5 exercises but didnt read it all. His title and what he actually put in the post seem to be a little different but whatever.

MegaRigger
04-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Bench pwns all

Colt McCoy
04-13-2007, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bench pwns all

[/ QUOTE ]

5th Level?

Jetboy2
04-13-2007, 02:52 PM
It would depend on the age, gender, and goals of the individual. Added to that would be their particular state of fitness, including previous injuries and other health concerns.

Seriously, there are no top 5 exercises. An otherwise healthy, skinny, 24 year old wanting to bulk-up has entirely different goals than an overweight, pre-diabetic, 45 year old seeking to lose body fat. So, I would never suggest the same "top 5" exercises.

Colt McCoy
04-13-2007, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It would depend on the age, gender, and goals of the individual. Added to that would be their particular state of fitness, including previous injuries and other health concerns.

Seriously, there are no top 5 exercises. An otherwise healthy, skinny, 24 year old wanting to bulk-up has entirely different goals than an overweight, pre-diabetic, 45 year old seeking to lose body fat. So, I would never suggest the same "top 5" exercises.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question posed was, "If you were only going to do 5 exercises to hit your entire body what would you do?"

Obviously you should respond based on your goals.

Frankly, I don't think most people should be doing much more than five movements in the weight room. And I mean total, not per workout.

Thremp
04-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Jetboy,

There is almost no debate on three of these.

1) Quad dominant
2) Hip dominant
3) Horizontal Pressing

Those three elements should be every program, barring serious injury. Like not having legs... Or arms.

Colt,

I don't really like your inclusion of clean and press, seems unfair since thats pretty much a clean and then a military press. Its like wishing for more wishes. Shady.

Colt McCoy
04-13-2007, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Colt,

I don't really like your inclusion of clean and press, seems unfair since thats pretty much a clean and then a military press. Its like wishing for more wishes. Shady.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

skunkworks
04-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Are we forgetting the Clean and Press and Curl and Shrug? That's like, my favorite lift. Hits every part.

TonyDanza
04-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Squat
Bench
Pull ups
Straight leg deadlift
Clean & Jerk

These are my answers to make sure I hit my whole body. They are not what I consider the five BEST exercises.

thirddan
04-13-2007, 07:47 PM
heh, do The Bear Exercise...

power clean from the ground to an overhead press leave bar behind so that you can do a back squat to push press...then return to ground...maybe start with a front squat clean for kicks...whole body one exercise...

gol4pro
04-14-2007, 01:10 AM
Stupid question because all of the lifts that have been mentioned in this thread have a purpose, and are for the most part great lifts.

BUT, if I can only go with 5....

Dead, Squat, Bench, Power clean, Pull ups.

kyleb
04-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Squat, deadlift, bench, front row, cable rotation.

This is somewhat sport-specific for me, though.

Thremp
04-14-2007, 02:21 AM
Cable rotations still pretty much suck.

crazygoose
04-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Bench Press
Deadlifts
Squats
Chip ups
These really cover almost every part of the body: chest, legs, core, lats, shoulders, and arms. I think the 5th should be something you really want to focus on. Personally, big traps look wicked. So I'm going to throw in shrugs. I guess rows were kind of left off so maybe bent over row should be #5 for a perfect balance.

ThankgodforRB
04-14-2007, 03:26 PM
1) Bench Press
2) Alternate Dumbell Curls
3) Preacher Curls
4) Hammer Curls
5) Forearm Curls

SmileyEH
04-14-2007, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Bench Press
3) Preacher Curls
4) Hammer Curls
5) Forearm Curls

[/ QUOTE ]

cable tricep extensions!!!!

Hendricks433
04-14-2007, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
1) Bench Press
3) Preacher Curls
4) Hammer Curls
5) Forearm Curls

[/ QUOTE ] EL
OH
EL

TxRedMan
04-14-2007, 03:58 PM
if you could only do five...

squats
incline barbell bench press
bentover barbell rows
barbell curls
military press

deadlift becomes less valuable imo if you're doing heavy rows and squats. a lot of overlapping.

igetjokes
04-14-2007, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) Bench Press
3) Preacher Curls
4) Hammer Curls
5) Forearm Curls

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dumbell kickbacks?

Packard
04-14-2007, 04:57 PM
1. Squat
2. Bench
3. Deadlift
4. Row
5. Chins

Legs and back are the 2 biggest main muscle groups, so they get 4 out of the 5 top rankings.

kyleb
04-14-2007, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cable rotations still pretty much suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess. They are the one exercise in the gym that best replicates the two-phase mechanics of hitting, and to a lesser extent, throwing a ball. So, I gotta do it.

jah7_fsu1
04-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Cable rotations do not suck, they just wouldn't be a top 5 total body movement given that they don't work a large amount of muscle mass.

kyleb
04-14-2007, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cable rotations do not suck, they just wouldn't be a top 5 total body movement given that they don't work a large amount of muscle mass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I agree. I think they aren't great exercises for the random person, but it's a pretty good range of motion and best replicates the muscle movements of baseball.

I figured I'd chime in with the top five exercises I do that are applicable in my life at the moment. I don't work out in the gym to work out, I work out to increase performance on the diamond.

Blarg
04-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Deadlift
Squat
Military Press
Chin-up
Shadow-boxing

Thremp
04-14-2007, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I agree. I think they aren't great exercises for the random person, but it's a pretty good range of motion and best replicates the muscle movements of baseball.

I figured I'd chime in with the top five exercises I do that are applicable in my life at the moment. I don't work out in the gym to work out, I work out to increase performance on the diamond.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, its SPP.

pal=m
04-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Queensgrad,

The way you framed your question, I would add the bent over row as your fifth lift. Chins are good also, but go with the row if you must do only one. The row hits more muscle than the chin which seems to be your objective based on your post (hitting the most muscle in as few lifts as possible).

Some of the more powerlift-style lifts the other posters suggested are excellent lifts. But they should really be done as a separate program if you're going to do them i.e., a different cycle.

Good luck,
pal

PS: What are your goals with lifting? Mass, tone, sport-specific, women? The answer to that question can influence your selections.

Queensgrad
04-16-2007, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Queensgrad,

The way you framed your question, I would add the bent over row as your fifth lift. Chins are good also, but go with the row if you must do only one. The row hits more muscle than the chin which seems to be your objective based on your post (hitting the most muscle in as few lifts as possible).

Some of the more powerlift-style lifts the other posters suggested are excellent lifts. But they should really be done as a separate program if you're going to do them i.e., a different cycle.

Good luck,
pal

PS: What are your goals with lifting? Mass, tone, sport-specific, women? The answer to that question can influence your selections.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am super busy and trying to maintain as much strength/muscle mass while I trim down. I am 6'2" and 240lbs, and play a lot of basketball. I was under 190 when I played varisty for my university 5 yrs ago and it hurts my knees now to run and jump with so much weight. I need to get down close to 2 bills ASAP, but I want the strength I have gained with the increased size. So i figured to do a full body workout 2-3 times per week along with 4-5 days of cardio (combination of basketball and running with my dog).