PDA

View Full Version : 200 Pushup Prop Bet

TonyDanza
04-12-2007, 03:10 PM
I need advice on whether to take this prop bet, the stakes and what the odds should be. The bet is that I can't do 20 sets of 10 pushups with 1 minute break in between sets. I would have to do this today at work. The original bet was 5:1 on $1000 (i.e. I put up 1000 to win 5000). This offer was rescinded by the other party and they are currently contemplating what the next offer should be.

Background: I USED to work out a lot. A regular part of my routine would be 20 sets of 10 or 10 sets of 20 pushups with between 20-45 seconds of rest in between. There was never anyone watching my form, so it slacked at times. I have not worked out regularly in approximately 2 years. I am 30 years old now, 6'3", 200 lbs. Recently, I worked out for about 2-3 weeks at the beginning of March, stopped for about 3.5 weeks and have worked out twice this week. In other words, I'm not in good shape and am a little sore from my Tuesday and Wednesday workouts. My questions to you are:

Any additional advice would be appreciated... Thanks!

Colt McCoy
04-12-2007, 03:18 PM
I don't get how anyone here would have a better idea of whether you can do this than you have personally?

But I thought this was going to be a bet on 200 straight pushups. 20 sets of 10 with a minute between? Meh. Take his money.

zer0
04-12-2007, 03:22 PM
well, if you could do it before, you know what it takes. i dont see how anyone here could give you an answer that you couldnt give yourself

Thremp
04-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Depends how far down you go. 90 degrees arm slightly outside shoulder width... I think you're not amazingly +EV or -EV

TonyDanza
04-12-2007, 03:26 PM
I agree that I should have the best idea of whether or not I can do this. I used to be able to do it, but my work out discipline has fallen off. My new question is this:

Is this really that hard for someone that is in average physical condition? I personally don't think the first 10-15 sets will test me that much, it's the last five.

Colt McCoy
04-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Last November I did 231 in 12 sets. Between sets was probably about two minutes, maybe less. At the time I was working out sporadically so I'd say it's very doable.

TonyDanza
04-12-2007, 03:42 PM
I ended up pussing out. He changed the terms such that I would have to do 10 sets of 20 (I negotiated 2 minutes rest) and the odds were only 300:250. After doing only one set of 20, I realized I'd be toast after the 5th or 6th set and I know he'd be a nit about form. Thanks for the advice.

MuresanForMVP
04-12-2007, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I ended up pussing out. He changed the terms such that I would have to do 10 sets of 20 (I negotiated 2 minutes rest) and the odds were only 300:250. After doing only one set of 20, I realized I'd be toast after the 5th or 6th set and I know he'd be a nit about form. Thanks for the advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with the old terms, this would still be very hard for someone to do.

BreakfastBurrito
04-12-2007, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this really that hard for someone that is in average physical condition? I personally don't think the first 10-15 sets will test me that much, it's the last five.

[/ QUOTE ]

About 5 years ago a meathead I knew from high school told me this was a great pec workout and that you think it'd be easy but you'd feel the burn like crazy by the end. I've been doing the workout off and on since then. When in shape it's doable but definitely challenging. When out of shape I burn out as early as set 10. How strict you are with form matters a ton. A person in average physical condition would likely struggle mightily to do this, especially with strict form requirements.

Colt McCoy
04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
especially with strict form requirements.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I did it I did change my hand and elbow position from set to set to change the emphasis. I'm not talking about using bad form, just different kinds of pushups.

tdarko
04-12-2007, 04:48 PM
How strict are the requirements for what counts as 1 push-up? This seems like it would be important.

I have another question too. Is it tougher to do sets of 10 to get to 200 than to do more reps each set?

Colt McCoy
04-12-2007, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it tougher to do sets of 10 to get to 200 than to do more reps each set?

[/ QUOTE ]

Much easier I's think.

TonyDanza
04-12-2007, 05:07 PM
The bet is back on at even money for $100, 20 sets of 10. I think I'm in trouble. I don't have the confidence I did at lunch. I'm thinking about running to GNC right now and getting some type of supplement/energy drink.

Ben86
04-12-2007, 05:11 PM
I can't judge this for you without knowing you but this sounds very do-able even for an average joe. I could be biased because I am a gym fanatic but I think the 1 minute break will be your saving grace.

A little advice:

BREATHE. inhale down, exhale up. Stretch well beforehand. Do NOT workout the day of, the day before, or two days before. (May be too late for that.)

Don't do perfect push ups if you dont have to, i guess this is angle shooting but get away with whatever you can.

Change your stance if you feel like you wont make it, do a set with your hands placed further in, this will use your tris more than your chest, then put them out wider for a set. I would use this near the end if you start really struggling.

Goodluck!! sounds like an easy payday

TonyDanza
04-12-2007, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Goodluck!! sounds like an easy payday

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to be embarrassed when I don't make it, but my logic that it shouldn't be that difficult is this... 20 sets of a moderate to easy lift (which I would characterize 10 pushups as) with one minute rest is very doable, even if you are out of shape. Unfortunately, I think he is going to be a nit on form (not as much as if he had $5K invested but enough to annoy me). Hopefully, working out the two previous days (not today) won't hinder me too much. I've been stretching and drinking water all afternoon. T- a little over an hour. I'll report back afterwards.

Ben86
04-12-2007, 05:35 PM
The last thing you want is him to say "do that one again that doesnt count" in your 8th set or whatever. This definitely must be agreed upon before you start (form).

TonyDanza
04-12-2007, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The last thing you want is him to say "do that one again that doesnt count" in your 8th set or whatever. This definitely must be agreed upon before you start (form).

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a 3rd party judge. I'm going to make sure we stipulate that his word is the only one that counts and that everyone else should STFU. The bad news is we have a lot of loud mouth a-holes at my firm, who won't listen. The good news is the judge did pushups at a bar once and he definitely got away with some suspect form.

tdarko
04-12-2007, 06:15 PM
I love this firm you work at. One of your clients comes prancing through the door asking about their case or whatever and you're going to tell them, "sorry hun we were busy preparing a push-up prob bet all day yesterday, get off my back!"

Rootabager
04-12-2007, 08:11 PM
20 sets of 10 shouldnt be too hard. Good luck and update us on how it goes!!

zer0
04-12-2007, 08:17 PM
as mentioned, halfway through the sets bring your arms a little closer to take the strain off your pecs for a couple sets

einbert
04-12-2007, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There was never anyone watching my form, so it slacked at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, just wow.

TonyDanza
04-13-2007, 12:54 AM
I made a terrible showing. I barely got half way through. It was a huge wake up call as to how out of shape I am in. That said, I made a follow up bet. Double or nothing in two weeks. If I lose that, I have a double or nothing option 2 weeks later. That said, I need advice for what my workout should be for the next 2 weeks. I'm thinking a heavy upper body workout with a strong emphasis on pushups. My cardio will be all swimming. I anticipate doing 500+ pusups/day every other day with a minimum of 200 per day. I should probably google Herschel Walker's workout to get up to speed. I definitely embarrassed myself quite a bit. The real Tony Danza woulda been ashamed. Nuff said.

Ben86
04-13-2007, 01:31 AM
aww sorry to hear that man. if its beating your buddies id go for chest/tri/core workouts and do cardio. of course doing this same event until fail for 11-12 days would be very very good for your results too.