PDA

View Full Version : Torn Pec

TheEngineer
04-12-2007, 08:45 AM
I tore my left pec benching a couple of weeks ago.

I completely ruptured my right one four years ago benching 430 (with good form...paused on the bottom, elbows in tight, hips on the bench) and required surgery to reattach it to my arm. It was successful; I finally returned to a >400 bench, only to have this happen.

The "good" news is that I felt it coming this time (learned from last time), so I could ditch the bar without tearing it 100% (but it's still well over 50% ruptured). As the tendon is still attached, I won't require surgery this time. I broke a rib, but the trade-off was good.

This isn't much of a post, really. Just my bad beat. Thanks for reading.

Macdaddy Warsaw
04-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Jeeeeesus. That's pretty badass. "Broke a rib, but whatever"

SixT4
04-12-2007, 09:23 PM
I didn't realise going to the gym could be so painful...

theblackkeys
04-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Jesus Christ. That's all.

TheEngineer
04-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks all. I appreciate the support.

cbloom
04-13-2007, 11:05 PM
This is a thinly disguised brag post.

TheEngineer
04-13-2007, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a thinly disguised brag post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Today, I can bench 65 pounds. I'll be stronger someday but will never attempt a 1 rep max again for fear of a third tear. I can't currently carry a heavy box and am in physical therapy. I checked my luggage on my last business trip because I couldn't lift my carry-on overhead.

A rather [censored] brag, I think.

theblackkeys
04-14-2007, 05:16 AM
Now, is there something you could have done in your training that would have lessened the risk of a ligament/tendon injury? It seems like your muscles were a bit ahead of your ligaments.

TheEngineer
04-14-2007, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now, is there something you could have done in your training that would have lessened the risk of a ligament/tendon injury? It seems like your muscles were a bit ahead of your ligaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I knew to do was to always train with strict form (which I was). I encourage everyone here to train every rep you perform in the gym with perfect form.

As for me it wasn't a case of suddenly getting strong too fast, like a guy juicing up on some insane plan for a year straight. Rather, my strength levels were the result of a lifetime of all-natural, heavy training. I guess it just caught up with me over time. Oh well....that comes with the territory.

Packard
04-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Check out "Dave Tate Bench Press 600 pounds" in a search for good form. Pec tears are usually bad style of benching with the elbows sticking straight out.

TheEngineer
04-14-2007, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check out "Dave Tate Bench Press 600 pounds" in a search for good form. Pec tears are usually bad style of benching with the elbows sticking straight out.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I posted the specifics of my form. I actually patterned my lifting after Dave Tate's description in that article way back when it came out.

My from was fine and my elbows were in nice and tight, certainly closer to my body than my hands were.

Louis Simmons and others from Westside have observed my lifting form and they said it was fine.

Speaking of Tate, he has the same pec history as me, except it's reversed (I had my right pec repaired; my left pec was torn in half but the tendon is still attached, so I decided against surgery as well):

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1051590
• Left pec: I (Dave Tate) tore this muscle at the tendon and needed surgery to repair it.
• Right pec: I (Dave Tate) tore this muscle in half but decided to not have surgery since the tendon was still attached.

checkmate36
04-14-2007, 09:53 PM
So does it turn all black and blue when something like this happens?

TheEngineer
04-14-2007, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So does it turn all black and blue when something like this happens?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. The bruise is very black and blue when this happens. It starts at the middle of the inner part of the upper arm (where the tendon attaches) and goes all the way to the sternum.

checkmate36
04-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Sorry to hear your going to be on the shelf for awhile. Hope it heals up soon.

Maybe the doctor will give you some good stuff for the pain. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheEngineer
04-14-2007, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My from was fine

[/ QUOTE ]

My form was fine, too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheEngineer
04-14-2007, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hear your going to be on the shelf for awhile. Hope it heals up soon.

Maybe the doctor will give you some good stuff for the pain. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. No "good stuff" this time at all. Tears, even complete ones, aren't all that painful, actually. Recovery from surgery is, though, so I got all sorts of good stuff last time.

I benched 85 on it today and it felt okay. Weak and tight (like the opponents at the B&M cardroom closest to me /images/graemlins/grin.gif ), but doable. Should be hitting it pretty good in a couple of months. Just won't do any singles anymore.

checkmate36
04-14-2007, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I benched 85

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL ship it!!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Id be too scared to touch a bench for a year. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

TheEngineer
07-25-2007, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This isn't much of a post, really. Just my bad beat. Thanks for reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad beat #2. The pec tear won't heal, so I'll be getting surgery in a couple of weeks. It's the same surgeon who fixed the other one a few years back, so that's one less concern.

I'll probably be pretty ornery with the anti-poker politicians for a while. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

theblackkeys
07-26-2007, 03:20 AM
I'd just like to reiterate this.
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ. That's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Poppa Smurf
07-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Engineer,

post a picture of your bruise?

Efourdee
07-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Bad beat #2. The pec tear won't heal, so I'll be getting surgery in a couple of weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because you wont stop bench pressing.

TheEngineer
07-27-2007, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Bad beat #2. The pec tear won't heal, so I'll be getting surgery in a couple of weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because you wont stop bench pressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been training and rehabbing per my orthopedic surgeon's instructions, so that's not it. If I hadn't rehabbed it, it would be worse now, actually. I simply had too much damage from the initial injury to recover to the level I needed.

TheEngineer
07-27-2007, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Engineer,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, don't have one. It was completely black and blue from the midpoint of my upper arm (the inside-facing part) all the way to the sternum.

Here's the MRI:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/TheEngineer2007/my_mri-1.jpg

It looks worse than it is; the top muscle tissue is my deltoid.

Anyway, I'll stop whining now; surgery is scheduled and I'll be back to normal soon!

Big Poppa Smurf
07-28-2007, 01:48 AM
Is that white spot the tear?

TheEngineer
07-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Yes.

Big Poppa Smurf
07-28-2007, 12:21 PM
ewwwwww

TheEngineer
08-18-2007, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Engineer,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, don't have one. It was completely black and blue from the midpoint of my upper arm (the inside-facing part) all the way to the sternum.

Here's the MRI:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/TheEngineer2007/my_mri-1.jpg

It looks worse than it is; the top muscle tissue is my deltoid.

Anyway, I'll stop whining now; surgery is scheduled and I'll be back to normal soon!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I had the tear surgically repaired yesterday, so it no longer looks like the picture. I'll post when I bench 400.

Please don't forget about the stuff on the Legislation forum. The feds took ephedrine and prohormones, and now they want Internet poker. As lifters, we need to tell them enough is enough. If I can type letters with one hand, I imagine you all can type with two. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tuff_Fish
08-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Ouch...

That is all..

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tuff