PDA

View Full Version : Gym Pet Peeves

Gobias Ind.
04-12-2007, 05:07 AM
1)First and easily my biggest:
DON'T LIFT RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE [censored] RACK!!!! Jesus, you can't take 3 goddamn steps back and lift in the open area??? I'm tired of having to wait 30 seconds to grab the 25lbs b/c you HAVE to do shoulder flies directly in front of the rack and conveniently block off access to any weights in the vicinity.

2)Water bottle fill-up w/ people behind you. I don't mind if the person is almost done or the bottle is small, circa 12 oz. When you have the full bottle that only professional cyclists and/or pee-wee football centers use, let others get thier sip on. Or better yet (as is the case in my gym) go to the far less-occupied water fountain to fill up.

3)Not a big deal, but I've been annoyed from time to time. Girls (or gay men substitute generally) who are nazi's about the aerobic machine schedule. Now, granted, if the gym is packed, by all means we need to abide by the schedule . . . we're not savages. But when the gym is empty and there are 10 of 15 ellipticle machines free, don't tap me on the back and tell you've reserved this machine. Grab another machine you anal [censored]!

slickpoppa
04-12-2007, 10:06 AM
1. People who do bidep curls in the squat rack (especially at my crap gym where there is only one racl).
2. People who walk around the locker room with their dick hanging out. Wrap a goddamn towel around your waist.

Colt McCoy
04-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Fat chicks in spandex.

Thremp
04-12-2007, 10:16 AM
1) Random advice givers.
2) People who ask you a ton of feking questions.

death_blooms
04-12-2007, 11:27 AM
1. People who Grunt/Yell loudly.
2. People that slam weights when they can easily set them down.
3. People who step infront of the mirrors and lift right infront of your view while your midset.
4. Weights laying all over the place for no reason.

Hendricks433
04-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Colt, who is that in your avatar?
btw kids sitting in the power rack texting with weight on the bar. Who walks around a weight room texting while smiling and giggling to himself?

mattnxtc
04-12-2007, 12:35 PM
People who use crappy form to lift heavy weight and then act like they are badass because they can lift heavy.

TimM
04-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I guess I should be happy with my gym because I get none of this. I'm sure I could find some of these things if I look hard enough, but it's not enough to bother me. I suppose it helps that I go weekdays during work hours though.

ImAKing
04-12-2007, 01:45 PM
annoying ppl that come up to you in the middle of a lift and start talking to you, and [censored] up your consentration

Thremp
04-12-2007, 01:51 PM
nth) People whining about dropping weights when deadlifting, C&Jing, etc when they have no bumper plates.
nth+1) Barring chalk.

mattnxtc
04-12-2007, 02:27 PM
on the flip side...people who arent lifting all that heavy who slam weights down so people think they are that intense or were lifting that heavy

TxRedMan
04-12-2007, 02:36 PM
guys that SCREAM.

slamming weights.

[censored] who think they're benching 315 when their ass flys a foot off the bench during the rep.

people who blatantly lie about how strong they are right to your face and then proceed to prove themselves wrong while asking you for a spot.

guys who act territorial in the gym.

guys who get pissed off when they ask me how many sets i have left on bench and i tell them at least 8. you can work in if you want.

TOTAL IDIOTS WHO THINK THEY SHOULD INJECT THEIR ROIDS AT THE GYM. WTF WTF WTF. AND LEAVE SYRINGES IN THE TRASH CAN. YOU [censored] IDIOTS.

guys who are naturally lean who act like they achieved something.

meh.

death_blooms
04-12-2007, 02:36 PM
I was talking about people dropping weights on machines, cables, dumbbells, tossing them off the bars to the floor b/c they are too lazy to sit them down and other excercises where it isnt that hard to ease them down. It is obvious that deadlifts, snatches, C&J's and others are slammed down and make noise with out bumper plates.

zer0
04-12-2007, 02:54 PM
wipe down the [censored] bench you sweat hogs

Thremp
04-12-2007, 03:07 PM
death,

I wasn't thinking about you. I was day dreaming about these basketball players at the gym who think they're hot [censored] when they can overhead press half their BW for reps. Woohoo. I'm glad you bench a ton, too bad that is useless for you.

Colt McCoy
04-12-2007, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't thinking about you. I was day dreaming about these basketball players at the gym who think they're hot [censored] when they can overhead press half their BW for reps. Woohoo. I'm glad you bench a ton, too bad that is useless for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Useless why? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thremp
04-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Colt,

Because they aren't left tackles?

Maybe they should be spending more time in squat rack or doing plyo's instead of talking about how studly their arms are?

TxRedMan
04-12-2007, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Useless why? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

bench press is pretty useless in a lot of activities.

i'd rather military 400 and bench 200 than bench 500 and military 200. of course that's likely impossible, but that kind of shoulder strength would be insane. this is assuming i was just a normal guy who wasn't hung up on BP'ing a lot of weight, though.

Colt McCoy
04-12-2007, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Colt,

Maybe they should be spending more time in squat rack or doing plyo's instead of talking about how studly their arms are?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fair enough. You didn't say they were doing overhead presses at the exclusion of other movements. Personally I think upper body strength is a good thing to have in any sport.

Colt McCoy
04-12-2007, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'd rather military 400 and bench 200 than bench 500 and military 200. of course that's likely impossible, but that kind of shoulder strength would be insane. this is assuming i was just a normal guy who wasn't hung up on BP'ing a lot of weight, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we agree on something then. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think all you have to do is look at carryover. Benching a lot tends to benefit overhead pressing a lot less than vice versa. Plus it's just a much more functional movement. I mean how often are you pushing against something with a stable surface behind you. It's a pretty weird movement really.

Thremp
04-12-2007, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Colt,

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fair enough. You didn't say they were doing overhead presses at the exclusion of other movements. Personally I think upper body strength is a good thing to have in any sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, overhead pressing isn't terribly important in most sports in this country.

At best it is 3rd or 4th most important lift, and no athlete should be really prioritizing it year round.

Though I was confusing and obv its better to be strong than week.

skunkworks
04-12-2007, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer to be month.

Thremp
04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer to be month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Engrish often?

I would use a famous quote, but it resulted in a banning. Though not the race I usually get 2p2 vacations for.

Colt McCoy
04-12-2007, 04:34 PM
I can't tell who's leveling who.

chesspain
04-12-2007, 05:16 PM
People who walk past me with maybe one foot of clearance while I'm lifting.

Ben86
04-12-2007, 05:21 PM
oh my god ive wanted to do this for some time.

1) How many sets do you have left? "A lot" [censored] you buddy how about a number?

2) If I'm lifting infront of the mirror 5 yds back from it and someone comes up in front of it.

3) Doing biceps on the cable cross. There is only 1 cable cross at my gym, and you can do a curl anywhere.

4) The Spring-Break Abs crew. You can't get abs if they are covered in fat and it definitely wont happen in two weeks so stop taking over the gym in late febuary.

5) Do not lift infront of the rack where noone else can grab weights. Don't do it. No, don't.

That was fun, I might come back with more later.

5)

Rearden
04-12-2007, 05:37 PM
1) Anyone using a squat rack for curls

2) Anyone being loud enough that I can hear you clearly (I use an mp3 player with good earbuds turned up very loud)

3) People I have never seen doing anything other than curls, bench presses, or situps (I work out at a college gym; there are many many regulars who never stray from those exercises)

BONUS...
THINGS I LOVE:

1) Hot women doing any sort over powerlifting or capably doing anything other than stability ball crunches and curls with brightly colored plastic weights....yesterday I saw a girl doing heavy cleans....mmmmm

SmileyEH
04-12-2007, 05:44 PM
For those of you that hate grunters/screamers. When I do cleans, squats, or dls within a few pounds of my max I often yell or grunt or whatever - I don't try to to show off or anything. Does this really bother people that much? This would happen maybe twice a week.

Dids
04-12-2007, 05:46 PM
1- being pitched a session with the personal trainer mid set.

2- the trainers not taking the initial "no" for an answer

3- getting ads for my own gym on my car

My gym is pretty douchebag free, also it's huge so there's not often a problem wating for stuff even if somebody is being d-baggish about lingering on it or sitting there having a 15 conversation without actually doing a set.

Ben86
04-12-2007, 05:46 PM
its fine for big lifts unless its unreasonable like BAAAAIIII LOOK AT ME AIAIAIAIAAAIIAHYCAHA

skunkworks
04-12-2007, 05:52 PM
I grunt a bit when pushing out that last set (or when negotiating a difficult rack after a hard set). I don't give a [censored] about what other's think because I think I earned the right to yell if I'm busting my ass.

Ben86
04-12-2007, 05:56 PM
preach it!

denco
04-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Fat-strong people...the one's you see who move a ton of weight but have a thick layer of fat on them. They generally think that they own the gym because they put up 3 or 4 plates on the bench. But really they are just fat which sucks for them. The only thing worse than a fat-strong person is a fat-strong person who thinks they can walk around the gym in a beater. Put on a shirt fatty.

latefordinner
04-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Guys that wear their swimsuits into the shower. If you're that insecure about being seen naked just take a shower at home.

People who flex and prance in front of the mirror. If you want to use the mirror to check your form that's fine, but flexing and smiling like you're on camera makes you look ridiculous.

death_blooms
04-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Smiley - I posted that I cant stand it when people that grunt or yell. The type you are talking about doesn't bother people at all, we all do that at times. Its the people that ROAR at the top of their lungs for attention or grunt really loud 8-10 reps in one of their sets just so the gym turns to look at them.

We used to have a kid at our gym that suffered from invisible lat syndrome (walks with arms out like his lats are massive when in fact he really had none) who would yell and scream so people would look at him. He even threw up in the middle of the gym one day after doing squats when it was obvious he could have exited the area before doing so just for attention.

PITTM
04-12-2007, 06:51 PM
by far the worst are the dudes who put as much weight as possible on and then just have such horrendous form theyre obv doing nothing helpful for their bodies. there are a couple dudes who are always using the curl machine, they set it to the highest weight and then stand up, grab the bar and pretty much jump in the air and land on their butt to get the weights to go up. girls seem impressed by this. maybe just all humans are retarded?

slickpoppa
04-12-2007, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Guys that wear their swimsuits into the shower. If you're that insecure about being seen naked just take a shower at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are mad cause you don't get to see other guys' penises? THAT is your pet peeve?

Thremp
04-12-2007, 07:11 PM
All,

We scream for attention (we being my friends and I), this is in tribute to a legendary roid head who went to our school 2 years ago. He went from being ~150 lbs weakling to a ~190lbs balding chicken legged douchebag in ~3 months. A huge insane douchebag who could OHP 1.5x BW and bench 2x. Regardless, keep in mind grunts/screams/moans might not be for you to bring attention to them, but instead of a historical figure.

cbloom
04-12-2007, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For those of you that hate grunters/screamers. When I do cleans, squats, or dls within a few pounds of my max I often yell or grunt or whatever - I don't try to to show off or anything. Does this really bother people that much? This would happen maybe twice a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, if you're doing big weights and you have to grunt it's cool. I think we all hate the Monica Seles grunters who moan out a RAAAA for every rep of their bicep curls.

cbloom
04-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Peeves :

1) At my last gym the worst thing was definitely all the gay old men who would hang out totally naked in the locker room. Ugh.

2) When I've got big weights on the rack and you ask to work in and take them all off. [censored] ask how many sets I have left and you can just do something else for a minute!

3) People who spot for bench and stand with their groin right in my face when I really don't even need help.

4) People who figure it's okay to come to the gym smelling like [censored] and being totally filthy because they're going to shower afterward.

Rootabager
04-12-2007, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are mad cause you don't get to see other guys' penises? THAT is your pet peeve?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha I was about to post this. Im glad I read the rest of the thread before I did. You beat me to it!

skunkworks
04-12-2007, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Peeves :

1) At my last gym the worst thing was definitely all the gay old men who would hang out totally naked in the locker room. Ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]
BBV.

theblackkeys
04-12-2007, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. People who Grunt/Yell loudly.
2. People that slam weights when they can easily set them down.
3. People who step infront of the mirrors and lift right infront of your view while your midset.
4. Weights laying all over the place for no reason.

[/ QUOTE ]
I grunt when I'm squatting and slam the bar into the power rack when I'm done with a set. I have to slam it so I don't hurt myself "placing" it onto the pins. Is this annoying as well?

Gobias Ind.
04-13-2007, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1) How many sets do you have left? "A lot" [censored] you buddy how about a number?

2) If I'm lifting infront of the mirror 5 yds back from it and someone comes up in front of it.

3) Doing biceps on the cable cross. There is only 1 cable cross at my gym, and you can do a curl anywhere.

4) The Spring-Break Abs crew. You can't get abs if they are covered in fat and it definitely wont happen in two weeks so stop taking over the gym in late febuary.

5) Do not lift infront of the rack where noone else can grab weights. Don't do it. No, don't.

5)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a complete dick, but I disagree w/ some of these:

1)There are better ways the guy can tell you he has a lot left and would just prefer to work the machine/bench/cable crossover himself. None the less, he's giving you the long con on it.

3)Dude, sometimes you want to work biceps from different angles . . . see cable crossover

MissOt
04-13-2007, 03:46 AM
am i the only one who gets annoyed seeing 300+lb fat guys in jumpsuits doing tricep extensions or something similar?

cbloom
04-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Actually no one has written this but one of the most annoying things in every gym are the personal trainers. They lead their lame ass clients around, they're always chatting up a storm with the client about some sort of nonsense. They usually have them on totally retarded workouts where they go around the whole gym and use 100 different machines and seem to always get in my way. Then they get out the exercise balls and the balance board and have the client do that [censored] right in front of the squat rack. Then they pull out a yoga mat and drop right in the middle of the gym somewhere and get down on the ground and start doing nonsense. Sigh

Thremp
04-13-2007, 12:09 PM
nth) Someone asking to work in on an exercise that requires excessive set-up. Example: You are squatting... Someone asks to work in. You agree. He proceeds to reset everything for rack pulls. HYACHACHACHACHA die.

thirddan
04-13-2007, 12:22 PM
he isn't a trainer, but the dude that works the desk on night shift most days will randomly storm the weight room put like 6 plates on a hammer stregth bench do like 4 reps then storm out and not unload...pretty lame...

BenJammin'
04-13-2007, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer to be month.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahaha

gwhiz_612
04-13-2007, 05:30 PM
1.) People who sweat like pigs and don't wipe the equipment, or wipe it off half ass with a quick swoop of a paper towel.

2.) People who ask for a spot and then do more reps than they should, meanwhile your throwing out your back trying to get their weight up.

3.) Too much eye contact. Please quit looking at me.

chesspain
04-13-2007, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he isn't a trainer, but the dude that works the desk on night shift most days will randomly storm the weight room put like 6 plates on a hammer stregth bench do like 4 reps then storm out and not unload...pretty lame...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf?

thirddan
04-13-2007, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes he is a douche, and he wears a wifebeater even though he could stand to lose 15 lbs and some days he has a visor on...i want to punch him in the face...

anklebreaker
04-13-2007, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes he is a douche, and he wears a wifebeater even though he could stand to lose 15 lbs and some days he has a visor on...i want to punch him in the face...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he some sort of mutual acquaintance or something?

thirddan
04-13-2007, 09:10 PM
ankle,

doubtful, don't think chesspain lives in la...i think he was just confused at the douchiness and i was just ranting cuz the guy is a douche and i have to see him 5 days a week /images/graemlins/frown.gif...gonna try morning workouts starting next week though (not cuz of the douche)...

traz
04-15-2007, 02:22 PM
People who do a set and then stay on the station they're at while they rest (ie, dips/pullup bar)...I hate having to ask people if I can get a set in, when I know they're not f'ing using it

chesspain
04-15-2007, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People who do a set and then stay on the station they're at while they rest (ie, dips/pullup bar)...I hate having to ask people if I can get a set in, when I know they're not f'ing using it

[/ QUOTE ]

In my health club, there are "Etiquette" signs posted, which include the rule of not resting at a machine.

Guy Incognito
04-15-2007, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually no one has written this but one of the most annoying things in every gym are the personal trainers. They lead their lame ass clients around, they're always chatting up a storm with the client about some sort of nonsense. They usually have them on totally retarded workouts where they go around the whole gym and use 100 different machines and seem to always get in my way. Then they get out the exercise balls and the balance board and have the client do that [censored] right in front of the squat rack. Then they pull out a yoga mat and drop right in the middle of the gym somewhere and get down on the ground and start doing nonsense. Sigh

[/ QUOTE ]

Add on to this list the trainers that wander around offering "free sessions" to all the hot chicks.

cbloom
04-15-2007, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In my health club, there are "Etiquette" signs posted, which include the rule of not resting at a machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where am I supposed to rest? There are no seats in the gym except the machines. F'ing resting is part of a good workout.

cbloom
04-15-2007, 05:47 PM
I almost lost it in the gym today. I was at the squat rack warming up with just the bar, about to start my sets. Some girl walks up and asks if I'm using the rack, I say yeah but you can work in. I rack the bar and sit pace around to loosen up a bit. She shows up a wood box, a physio ball, and two male friends. WTF WTF. She starts doing pullups in the rack (it's got an overhead bar), her friends drop down on the floor right in front of the rack and start doing pushups. WTF WTF RAGE IS BUILDING. Fortunately the guy in the other rack finished his set and I just went over there.

thirddan
04-15-2007, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where am I supposed to rest? There are no seats in the gym except the machines. F'ing resting is part of a good workout.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, i rest right in front of my station, sometimes pacing in ront but always within reach...this is expecially important if i have specified rest times...if im supposed to do a set, rest 45 secs then do another set no fuckign way am i stepping away and letting someone in...dont care if it makes me a dick...

zer0
04-15-2007, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, i rest right in front of my station, sometimes pacing in ront but always within reach...this is expecially important if i have specified rest times...if im supposed to do a set, rest 45 secs then do another set no fuckign way am i stepping away and letting someone in...dont care if it makes me a dick...

[/ QUOTE ]

no doubt about it, if you walked away from the station at the gym i go to between sets, you'd never be able to complete that workout. i can go fill up my water bottle between sets of squats, come back and someone has it unracked, setting up their lift. completely sucks, but its a new gym and they ran a [censored] load of promotions, it seems like a lot of people who don't know any better

skunkworks
04-15-2007, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no doubt about it, if you walked away from the station at the gym i go to between sets, you'd never be able to complete that workout. i can go fill up my water bottle between sets of squats, come back and someone has it unracked, setting up their lift. completely sucks, but its a new gym and they ran a [censored] load of promotions, it seems like a lot of people who don't know any better

[/ QUOTE ]
That's why I leave a towel at the station, as a way to let them gently know, "Back the eff off."

Ben86
04-15-2007, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

5)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a complete dick, but I disagree w/ some of these:

1)There are better ways the guy can tell you he has a lot left and would just prefer to work the machine/bench/cable crossover himself. None the less, he's giving you the long con on it.

3)Dude, sometimes you want to work biceps from different angles . . . see cable crossover

[/ QUOTE ]

On #1 it really helps if I can get a number, because if its 3 maybe ill wait. If its 9, I'll go do something else and come back. If its 4 I might hurry to get my next thing done so I can catch him when hes done. I get nothing out of " a lot ".

3) I'm being sincere here. It's annoying mainly because we have one cable cross, and doing bi's one arm at a time takes a while. But an honest question, what angle can you get with a cable cross that you cant get with a dumbell?

Thremp
04-15-2007, 07:33 PM
cbloom,

You don't have to say yes.

Rootabager
04-15-2007, 07:46 PM
I dont like looking at fat people.

zer0
04-15-2007, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm being sincere here. It's annoying mainly because we have one cable cross, and doing bi's one arm at a time takes a while. But an honest question, what angle can you get with a cable cross that you cant get with a dumbell?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://aelinik.free.fr/croscable.jpg

nothing wrong with waiting your turn.

Ben86
04-15-2007, 07:56 PM
i see. do those curls really work the muscle differently than a standing barbell curl?

zer0
04-15-2007, 07:58 PM
yes, it does. its actually a very good isolation exercise for biceps

Hendricks433
04-15-2007, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I almost lost it in the gym today. I was at the squat rack warming up with just the bar, about to start my sets. Some girl walks up and asks if I'm using the rack, I say yeah but you can work in. I rack the bar and sit pace around to loosen up a bit. She shows up a wood box, a physio ball, and two male friends. WTF WTF. She starts doing pullups in the rack (it's got an overhead bar), her friends drop down on the floor right in front of the rack and start doing pushups. WTF WTF RAGE IS BUILDING. Fortunately the guy in the other rack finished his set and I just went over there.

[/ QUOTE ] lol wtf? I would snap if someone did this crap to me. Was she atleast hawt?

amulet
04-16-2007, 01:22 AM
not reracking drives me crazy. the people who leave a bar, dumbbells, etc., wherever they use it instead of putting it back. they wouldn't do this at their home. if a gym suspended the pigs the first time, and kicked them out the second time, everyone else would start reracking very quickly.

cbloom
04-16-2007, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
cbloom,

You don't have to say yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess I won't next time. I try to be nice and people f**k me over so now I have to be a jerk. And so the world turns...

TxRedMan
04-16-2007, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

two things; i have a membership to a health club and they have these great exercise bikes w/ a different pedaling position than most, and arms rest, heart monitor etc. there's only two of these specific bikes, and yesterday an older guy was asleep sitting in one. well, his head was tilted and his eyes were closed. the other bike was taken. i went and got on the bike next to him and it woke him up and he looked a little annoyed at me and left. maybe he was just startled, i dont know.

second thing; when i'm on a bench/machine, i rest between sets. and i rest on the bench. i'm not going to stand up and let someone just hop in, but if you ask you can work in.

NoRiverRats
04-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Great thread. Amen to all those who mentioned people who slam the weights down when they don't have to and people who stink.

1)Trainers who don't put away plates or dumbells
2)People who don't ask, they just jump on your machine/bench while you are resting between sets
3)Especially women who, because they think they are hot and can get away with, take your machine/bench between sets while you are getting a drink even when they are told by the person at the next machine/bench it being used and when my towel is sitting on the edge of the machine/bench(happened last week, I am still POed).
4)people who put dumbells in the wrong place on the rack, when the rack is marked from 5lbs to 125lbs.

That's all for now.

the crabs
04-16-2007, 11:36 AM
What the hell does working in mean?

I was at the gym with my brother and and some dude asked me If he could work in while I was at my BP and I just said "Do you mean can you work out?

He walked away.

mattnxtc
04-16-2007, 11:51 AM
workin in means he joins in on your machine so that as you finish and leave he is already workin on his set so that he isnt wasting time waiting on you to finish completely.

thirddan
04-16-2007, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I was at the gym with my brother and and some dude asked me If he could work in while I was at my BP and I just said "Do you mean can you work out?

He walked away.

[/ QUOTE ]

working in - you do a set then he does a set then you do a set repeat...basically he become the dude that is at your station when you are resting /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cbloom
04-16-2007, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

4)people who put dumbells in the wrong place on the rack, when the rack is marked from 5lbs to 125lbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, how [censored] hard is it to put things in order? And where the [censored] are the 35's ? Somebody put a damn 45 in the slot and I can't find them anywhere!!!

thirddan
04-16-2007, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, how [censored] hard is it to put things in order? And where the [censored] are the 35's ? Somebody put a damn 45 in the slot and I can't find them anywhere!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't really care if they are in order or not as long as pairs are together...its a huge pain if i need 35's but only one is on the rack and i have to scout around the room looking for the other one only to find that it is behind some kind of stepper step under the smith machine across teh room...

jah7_fsu1
04-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Honestly, I could list so many gym pet peeves it isn't funny. I try to tune out everything around me though or else I will feel like ripping someone's face off.

On a similar (maybe) note, my biggest pet peeve in the strength and conditioning message board world is this:

"I'm trying to LOOSE some weight, what can I do?"

I visit a few strength boards a whole bunch and post on this and it's prevalent at all of them.

FatBottomedGirls
04-16-2007, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I could list so many gym pet peeves it isn't funny. I try to tune out everything around me though or else I will feel like ripping someone's face off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ease up on the steroids. Juice will make the jewels shrivel into sun-dried tomatoes.

jah7_fsu1
04-16-2007, 02:15 PM
FBG: Lol, not juicing...thought about it before but never have.

Really, the gym just annoys me (commercial gyms I've been at). Misinformation is a very scary thing at gyms. I've seen people correct people's form with even worse form which might cause injuries. I've seen personal trainers (many of whom I've worked with) pimp out supplements that were crap. Overheard and heard way to much horrible advice that is dangerous to people. The worst thing in the gym is fairly in shape people telling newbies to do certain things or take certain products without knowing a persons history and that person taking it as gospel and then ending up hurt or sick.

MERCER
04-16-2007, 03:20 PM
The guy who lifts weights. Not just weight but whatever the machine can have on it. And he only can do 2 reps at that weight but he does them anyway and walks to the water fountain ever 2 minutes and then stands around in the way talking for 20 minutes. It's like hit the treadmill and lose those man boobs.

Rant Over

jm

Rootabager
04-16-2007, 09:46 PM
You guys are all way too uptight. Just go in and do your thing. I have been to alot of gyms over the years but nothing ever bothers me that much.
If weights are in the wrong place I just find them and use them.

"I'm trying to LOOSE some weight, what can I do?"
Why would that even bother you. You def need to chill out. Im sure your a blast to be around.

"he isn't a trainer, but the dude that works the desk on night shift most days will randomly storm the weight room put like 6 plates on a hammer stregth bench do like 4 reps then storm out and not unload...pretty lame..."

That's hilarious. I would just laugh at this guy every time he did it.

"Add on to this list the trainers that wander around offering "free sessions" to all the hot chicks."
Wow, trainers want to bang hot chicks. I like to bang hot chicks too. Why would this bother you. Are you jealous they are not talking to you?

"2)People who don't ask, they just jump on your machine/bench while you are resting between sets
3)Especially women who, because they think they are hot and can get away with, take your machine/bench between sets while you are getting a drink even when they are told by the person at the next machine/bench it being used and when my towel is sitting on the edge of the machine/bench(happened last week, I am still POed)."

Dont be such a wuss and tell them your using it. If someone does that to me I just say "woah there buddy." Your pet peeve is that your a pussy.

Ppl always say this around spring break time. Why would you care if they come in. Usually it's alot of good looking girls working out before spring break that you can look at while your in the gym.

etc etc etc

Basically you guys are a bunch of whiny bitches.

Jym Newbie
04-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Wondering why you came into a gym pet peeves thread?

Rootabager
04-17-2007, 12:02 AM
To see what everyone was bitching about obv.

TheEngineer
04-18-2007, 08:25 PM
1. Lifting right in front of the rack. Last time someone did this I threw my 40 lb dumbbells from waist-high to the spot between his feet and the floor. /images/graemlins/grin.gif He was blocking a few of us...the other guys laughed pretty good.

2. Curls in the squat rack when there isn't another rack available.

3. People who fill up their ENTIRE water bottle at the water cooler without letting me get a quick sip. Sumbitches.

4. People who drive up to the front of the gym, find someone putting gear in their trunk, then WAIT with their turn signal on for five freaking minutes for the close spot. Hey tubby, you want to know why you look like that? Try walking a few extra steps. It's the damn gym!!

5. Lazy people who use the left-hand door of a double-door entry just because someone just exited. Hey tubby...you can't pull open a door? Fine, but at least don't act like the squat rack is a phone booth and the bench press is a great place to sit and watch the game.

6. Too many others to mention.

Hendricks433
04-18-2007, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
5. Lazy people who use the left-hand door of a double-door entry just because someone just exited. Hey tubby...you can't pull open a door? Fine, but at least don't act like the squat rack is a phone booth and the bench press is a great place to sit and watch the game.

[/ QUOTE ] you serious?

john voight
04-18-2007, 10:07 PM
guy clogging up a bench machine because he is too busy reading a newspaper/magazine/book in between his sets.

TheEngineer
04-18-2007, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a peeve if I witness from across the room or anything, of course. I meant when someone walks right in front of me to exit out the wrong door just because he's too lazy to open the right one.

Actually, it's not that strong of a peeve. It just made for a nice set-up for the rest of the post.

MikeRice
04-18-2007, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

He walked away.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be on to something on the verge of genius sir!! I think I need to start playing dumb at the gym and see what happens when people ask questions.

traz
04-18-2007, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

He walked away.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be on to something on the verge of genius sir!! I think I need to start playing dumb at the gym and see what happens when people ask questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed that post, but that's actually pretty hillarious

Colt McCoy
04-19-2007, 08:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
guy clogging up a bench machine because he is too busy reading a newspaper/magazine/book in between his sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's keeping you away from the machines, he's doing you a favor. Go find some freeweights.

saucyspade19
04-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I was lookin to do skull crushers, all the adjustable benches were taken so I went to an empty flat bench and got to work. Indian kid comes over to me and starts talking, I take off my headphones, and he wants me to move to an adjustable bench across the gym that just opened up. I was confused at first, then I was like sorry no deal, but if you wanna work in, be my guest. He did not understand, and instead decided to stand next to me for the duration of my sets.

john voight
04-19-2007, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's keeping you away from the machines, he's doing you a favor. Go find some freeweights.

[/ QUOTE ]

due to my torn rotator cuff, it is very difficult for me to lift w/ free weights at the moment.

In a few months though ill be up for it.

Colt McCoy
04-19-2007, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

due to my torn rotator cuff, it is very difficult for me to lift w/ free weights at the moment.

In a few months though ill be up for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well until then you'll just have to realize that people who use machines are tools so you can expect them to act like tools. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fels krone
04-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Apartment weight room: [censored] heads that stole the 35 and 40 lb dumbells.

Also when they turn the air conditioning up too high, I dont like doing non-cardio in the cold.

Re_fill
04-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Hello all, new to the forum, actually here to learn to play Hold'em but this looks like a good place to be making my first post because I have few Gym peeves,of which most are aimed at commercial Gyms. So in no particular order.

A Gym with no Squat/power rack.
A Gym with a Sqaut/power rack but no-body ever usues it!
A Gym with no Trap bar or Shrug Bar.
A Gym with no weight plates less than 0.5 lbs in weight.
A Gym full of Televisions! WTF!
A Gym full of members who have trained there for over a year and are still lifting the same poundages!
Most( not all) Gym instructors.
People who do the following, presses behind the neck, Squat with a board under there heels to name but a few.
Wrist straps, weight belts and knee wraps.Save your money and buy some Chalk!
The leg press. Stop traing your ego and learn to Squat.
Bad excercise technique, sloppy form, heaving and jerking!People who bollock on about the latest muscle building supplement and barley eat 2000 kcals a day.
All the muscle comics at the reception desks! ( a very sad world to be found in them)

So there you have it. A few of my peeves to name but a few about commercial Gym's who will milk your bank accounts for there monthly membership fees promise you the world with there crap instruction and generally leaving most of there members short changed! And you compalin about Rake!

And to sign off here is my favourite food supplement available on the market today. SQUATS & FOOD!

theblackkeys
04-29-2007, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What if they have previous knee injuries?

Rearden
04-29-2007, 04:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What if they have previous knee injuries?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or what if your gym is a college gym and doesnt allow chalk? :-( (I then have to use gloves and sometimes wrist straps for heavy deads)

anklebreaker
04-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Why isn't chalk allowed?

Thremp
04-29-2007, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why isn't chalk allowed?

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes a huge mess.