PDA

View Full Version : hotbacon's log

hotbacon
04-09-2007, 07:23 PM
so i figured i'd be a cool kid and write a log, mostly so people can critique what i'm doing.

right now my goal is just to add strength and turn my 185 lbs frame into a more solid (muscular) one.

anyway, food wise i'm trying to stay somewhere around maintenence

exercise wise i'm doing a full body workout monday, wed, and fri. and some cardio/abs tue/thurs

just got done lifting. here's how's my day has looked so far:
9 am bfast meal1: big bowl of oatmeal, banana, orange, 4 egg whites, 4 turkey sausages.

around noon i was out and couldn't eat (i usually eat lunch at this time), so i broke down and ate a chocolate bar

got back at 1, got a foot long tuna from subway on wheat with lots of veggies

4 pm meal 3: had about 25% of that sub left, so i ate that and had tons of water

5 pm workout-
squats 8x3
wide grip pull-ups - 4x4
bench - 4x4
db shrugs - 4x6
calf raises - 4x6

btw, when i was doing squats, the guy who won the body building contest for my college came up to me with some buddies and they all told me that i'm going way too far and shouldn't ever go past my knees, because it takes the pressure off the muscle and puts it onto the joints. i thought it was funny.

anyway, got done at 6 and had 1.5 scoops of whey proten w/ skim milk and a bag of sprees

gonna go eat dinner now. (7 pm)
planning on eating some broccoli, salmon, and natural peanut butter.

theblackkeys
04-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Who/where did you get your workout program from?

hotbacon
04-09-2007, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i made it myself, but i thought of it from looking at the starting strength program and reading at many places that in order to get big, i should get good at: squats, deads, pull ups, and bench press

so i kinda mixed those two thoughts together i guess and came up with what i'm doing now. i probably shoulda gone with a pre-made workout from someone who knows what they're talking about, but w/e.

anklebreaker
04-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Starting strength already incorporates those.

theblackkeys
04-10-2007, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i made it myself, but i thought of it from looking at the starting strength program and reading at many places that in order to get big, i should get good at: squats, deads, pull ups, and bench press

so i kinda mixed those two thoughts together i guess and came up with what i'm doing now. i probably shoulda gone with a pre-made workout from someone who knows what they're talking about, but w/e.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just for reference, I do 51 and 61 reps respectively on my two workouts (if I include pullups and dips). You did more than 100 reps on one day.

So I'm probably lifting closer to my 1 rep max than you are (I have to be), you are doing more volume. I'm not saying it's bad, just different.

hotbacon
04-10-2007, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just for reference, I do 51 and 61 reps respectively on my two workouts (if I include pullups and dips). You did more than 100 reps on one day.

So I'm probably lifting closer to my 1 rep max than you are (I have to be), you are doing more volume. I'm not saying it's bad, just different.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, my base lifts (squats, press, pull up) have 56 reps total.
then i have those two extra little isolation exercises that give me 48 reps between the two.
i've always looked at it as i'm going to the gym mostly to do those 3 base lifts, and then i add in the 2 isolation exercises like many people add abs to the end of their workout.
so i guess i don't really count the isolation exercises as part of my "load." i dunno. is this wrong to think this way?

theblackkeys
04-10-2007, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, my base lifts (squats, press, pull up) have 56 reps total.
then i have those two extra little isolation exercises that give me 48 reps between the two.
i've always looked at it as i'm going to the gym mostly to do those 3 base lifts, and then i add in the 2 isolation exercises like many people add abs to the end of their workout.
so i guess i don't really count the isolation exercises as part of my "load." i dunno. is this wrong to think this way?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not an expert, so I wouldn't know. It seems like you can handle the two accessory lifts.

I was more curious about what the rest of the program looks like. What do you do in a week/other workouts? How does progression work?