PDA

View Full Version : Free Weights - Barbells vs Dumbells

mattnxtc
04-05-2007, 10:20 AM
On the suggestion of Colt McCoy I am starting this thread on the goods/bads of using Barbells vs Dumbells when doing free weights.

It is completely my opinion but for starters, I dont think anybody who is new to lifting needs to be doing a lot of Dumbell exercises, especially when it comes to benching and so forth. My initial thought is that their stabilizer muscles arent going to be near developed enough to control the weight and the possibility of injury has to be significantly increased.

<u>Barbells</u>
Pros:
1. Allow for one solid motion
2. Much easier in general to spot someone who is using a Barbell
3. Can disperse weight better

Cons:
1. Doesnt isolate each arm as much which can lead to your dominate arm overpowering the weaker arm (common problem)
2. Will need a spotter more often as there is more risk/less bail out ability
3. limited range of movement

<u>Dumbells</u>
Pros:
1. Focuses more on Stabilizer muscles
2. Wide range of motion available
3. Doesnt allow your dominate arm to take over
4. Easier to bail out

Cons:
1. As I said before, more risky for beginners
2. Form can suffer since concentration cant be focused
3. Harder to spot

Well thats my quick 5 minute thought on it...Im sure others can add I just wanted to get something out there to start discussion...

What else?

TimM
04-05-2007, 11:16 AM
One thing I've read made the case that nothing beats the barbell for the lower body stuff, but for upper body dumbbells have the edge because of pros you mentioned.

The Rippetoe FAQ on bb.com doesn't recommend DBs because of the added difficulty in what is supposed to be a beginner routine.

This doesn't apply to me because I've done DB bench presses and seated shoulder presses for a few years at home with DBs, and had no problems controlling the weights. I'm considering using DBs at the gym at least for the bench because of the no spotter issue, but some reasons I don't want to do this are that I can probably do more weight with the barbell version, and because I've never done barbell BPs (well maybe, not since I was a kid at least). There is also the tradition factor. Barbells are the standard -- everyone will want to know "how much can you bench?" and by this they mean with a barbell.

johnnyrocket
04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
yea well the main thing is that dumbells hit ur stabilizer muscles which are essential. Your body does not get this with dumbells, experienced bodybuilders should use alot more free weights than barbells or machines once comfortable with them. Tim is correct with lower body however, you want to use barbells or machines.

cbloom
04-05-2007, 01:34 PM
My big problem with the dumbell bench is getting in &amp; out of it, since you can't rack the weights. I have to swing the DB's up and feel like I'm putting a lot strain on my shoulders trying to get into the start position.

One of my all-time favorite moves was the DB decline bench, but you can't do that safely without someone lifting the weights to you.

CharlieDontSurf
04-05-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm lost so for like shoulder press etc dumbells are better?

cbloom
04-05-2007, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're a beginner stick to barbell for sure.

mattnxtc
04-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Cbloom: the method I use for DB bench is to pick the weight up and sit down with it on my knees. Then i get a little rocking action and use my knees to basically kick the weight up to the proper position. Its a bit tougher doing flat bench as you fall farther but its worked fine.

Charlie:
Do standing military press for now..it will be a good beginner movement

TimM
04-05-2007, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My big problem with the dumbell bench is getting in &amp; out of it, since you can't rack the weights. I have to swing the DB's up and feel like I'm putting a lot strain on my shoulders trying to get into the start position.

[/ QUOTE ]

How were you doing this? I would sit on the end of the bench, with the dumbbells in my hands and, resting them on my knees, lie back and kind of kick them into position with my legs. Kind of like this but I would have them horizontal from the start, so that there would be no rotating once they were in position.

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/PectoralSternal/DBBenchMount.gif

Dumbbell Bench Press (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/DBBenchPress.html)

cbloom
04-05-2007, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then i get a little rocking action and use my knees to basically kick the weight up to the proper position. Its a bit tougher doing flat bench as you fall farther but its worked fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I do this. The thing is when I do that kick and lie down I'm a little out of control and don't always land in the right spot, and it also uses a lot of stabilizing muscles that aren't really part of the actual bench press.

Like, I can bench up a lot more weight than I can control through that kick-to-ready motion. Also it's sort of a wild jerking motion which is what makes it feel dangerous to me.

You can also wind up with the DB's very low, like in your arm pits, which is a lot deeper than I bench, and it's hard to get them out of there.

TimM
04-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Here's a better articulation of what I thought would be the problem with using dumbbell BPs only, instead of barbell BPs:

LINK (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=30702251&amp;postcount=701)

theblackkeys
04-05-2007, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You decided to do Rippetoe right? Just stick with barbells for all exercises.