PDA

View Full Version : Full body Workouts

mattnxtc
04-02-2007, 08:25 AM
I do a lot of isolation/split workouts. I was a soccer player through hs and college and so I never really was introduced to full body workouts. What is a good routine to add in for once or twice a week to get the full body workout in

einbert
04-02-2007, 10:38 AM
my full body strength day is very simple and consists of only four lifts
squat 5x5x5RM-10
deadlift 5x5x5RM-10
benchpress 5x5x5RM-10
military press 5x5x5RM-10

So I mix it up by doing different style squats, ie with my legs wider or narrower. Sometimes I do the bench and military press with dumbbells, and of course I mix the benchpress up as far as flat/incline/decline. Any comments on this workout would be appreciated. I've been doing it every other day. I'm thinking about doing deadlifts only once a week as I don't want to overtrain my back.

Colt McCoy
04-02-2007, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
squat 5x5x5RM-10
deadlift 5x5x5RM-10
benchpress 5x5x5RM-10

So I mix it up by doing different style squats, ie with my legs wider or narrower. Sometimes I do the bench and military press with dumbbells, and of course I mix the benchpress up as far as flat/incline/decline. Any comments on this workout would be appreciated. I've been doing it every other day. I'm thinking about doing deadlifts only once a week as I don't want to overtrain my back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good routine, but I'd look at Starr's Heavy/Light/Medium approach instead of just doing the 5RM-10. That will help with your concerns about overtraining.

Klompy
04-02-2007, 10:50 AM
einbert,

I don't know a lot, but it looks pretty good to me. Shouldn't there be pullups or lat pulldowns in their too?

mattnxtc
04-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Do yall think its better to have a "full body day" or to mix and match it in? I was thinkin of havin like a legs day where i have squats and what not..and then have another day when im doing back and so forth that i do some dead lifts/ military press

would be the 2 and 4 day of the week for me

Colt McCoy
04-02-2007, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do yall think its better to have a "full body day" or to mix and match it in? I was thinkin of havin like a legs day where i have squats and what not..and then have another day when im doing back and so forth that i do some dead lifts/ military press

would be the 2 and 4 day of the week for me

[/ QUOTE ]

Just do full body workouts similar to what einbert posted above. Forget the split routines.

mattnxtc
04-02-2007, 11:43 AM
what does teh 5x5x5rm mean?

einbert
04-02-2007, 12:41 PM
axbxc=a sets of b reps of c lbs (i think)
5RM = 5 rep max (most you can do 5 reps of in a row)
5RM-10 = 5 rep max minus ten lbs

Is your goal to get stronger and gain muscle mass, or is it to maintain? Are you trying to stay light for soccer? My program is geared towards getting bigger and stronger.

Klompy,
I do those too, but not on full body strength day. The five sets each of four lifts (plus warmup lifts) takes me about an hour and is all I do on those days.

Thremp
04-02-2007, 12:41 PM
You want a full body workout to do 2x a week?

Einbert's workout is overly heavy on pressing and weak on legs/pulling. Its also a lot of volume/CNS stim for someone who is beyond a beginner.

einbert
04-02-2007, 12:43 PM
You're saying I should deadlift more than 3x a week? Or more than once a week?
I'm really a beginner, actually. I've only been weight training seriously for about a month.

mattnxtc
04-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Thremp....I am willin to do it more or less depending on what yall think is best?

I guess I should have clarified more.

Was reading up on the 300 movie workouts they did and they focused on a lot of full body exercises. Now most of those specific exercises arent really doable in a normal gym (I go to Golds), but I want to build a routine for full body workouts.

so my goal of the routine is to cut fat, tone. I am like 220 now, but I am physically strong (bench max of like 275-300 range). So droppin like 20 lbs while really toning up is desirable.

Thremp
04-02-2007, 01:38 PM
matt,

Guys from 300 are rather small and some of the people with the biggest gains were juicing their gourds out.

Please don't use the word "tone". Its a kinda nonsensical term. I think what you're trying to say if you wanna lose fat.

For a beginner a 3x-4x a week workout with a decent amount of volume would probably be best. There are some excellent ones on a variety of websites.

IIRC I've done this program before. http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=508031
I liked it.

einbert,

No, your program is unbalanced. You have on your upper body a horizontal press that is balanced somewhat by deadlifts, but you have a vertical pressing movement that isn't balanced by anything. Most people who have worked out before but not seriously usually need the opposite of this. As a beginner you'll need more volume, but your program is interesting as you're doing the 5x5x5 which should lead to failure every exercise, which isn't really necessary. I'd just consider using one of the other various workouts in the world instead of designing my own. (I "design" my own. But follow protocols for my full body workouts that were designed by someone else)

mattnxtc
04-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Thremp...fwiw I have been lifting for a while though not usually doing full body workouts. But your right, from what I have read, the full body workouts are best for fat loss which is my goal...does this change anything for you?

Thremp
04-02-2007, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thremp...fwiw I have been lifting for a while though not usually doing full body workouts. But your right, from what I have read, the full body workouts are best for fat loss which is my goal...does this change anything for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

My body has been responding to full body workouts very well. YMMV

And not really. There are a ton of great full body workouts. I think most beginners should start with them and see how they progress and then change if their goals need it.

theblackkeys
04-02-2007, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
squat 5x5x5RM-10
deadlift 5x5x5RM-10
benchpress 5x5x5RM-10

[/ QUOTE ]
do one set of deadlifts, it's enough.

kylephilly
04-02-2007, 03:13 PM
subscribe to muscle and fitness if you can find it for 4 bucks a year on bestdealmagazines.com

so many good tips on working out, dont let the cover fool you there is alot of knowledge in there

Colt McCoy
04-02-2007, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
subscribe to muscle and fitness if you can find it for 4 bucks a year on bestdealmagazines.com

so many good tips on working out, dont let the cover fool you there is alot of knowledge in there

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

anklebreaker
04-02-2007, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please don't use the word "tone". Its a kinda nonsensical term. I think what you're trying to say if you wanna lose fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I thought that's what kyleb was refering to when I saw the sticky: "A note on tone:"

AZK
04-02-2007, 06:24 PM
I basically do what einbert does, only i having pulling exercises in there and dead lifts...i don't know why you wouldn't want these in your program.

nutsflopper
04-02-2007, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
squat 5x5x5RM-10
deadlift 5x5x5RM-10
benchpress 5x5x5RM-10

...I don't want to overtrain my back.

[/ QUOTE ]

srsly?

mattnxtc
04-02-2007, 07:18 PM
hey thremp thaks for the link to the workout..im gonna give his 7 week deal a try and see what results i get

mattnxtc
04-02-2007, 08:55 PM
well I did the first day workout and definately feel it from a full body standpoint though I dont feel all that tired from it...hopefully it gets much harder

Thremp
04-02-2007, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well I did the first day workout and definately feel it from a full body standpoint though I dont feel all that tired from it...hopefully it gets much harder

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not really the right mindset for workouts. I could design a workout that would leave you "smashed" but probably is ineffective.

mattnxtc
04-02-2007, 10:19 PM
o i know...just didnt feel like I did as much as im sure i did..I need to work on my form with the deadlifts though

cbloom
04-02-2007, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thats not really the right mindset for workouts. I could design a workout that would leave you "smashed" but probably is ineffective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm just learning this. I used to do a bunch of ad-hoc lifts and I felt an amazing "pump" and soreness and thought I was kicking butt, but the amount I was lifting went up very slowly. Now I'm doing Rippetoe and I never get a pump and don't feel that sore, but the amount I'm lifting just keeps going up. I think your body lies to you.

mattnxtc
04-03-2007, 08:21 AM
thats about the same for me cbloom..after my normal split workouts, the workout didnt feel like it was that hard though my back and legs are hurtin much worse than my upper body right now. I was pretty pleased with my benching though and the rest of this week should be a killer workout

XxGodJrxX
04-03-2007, 09:15 AM
When it comes to full body workouts, my favorite that I have used so far is HST. It is probably not suitable for rank beginners. YOu can find the details HERE (http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html)

Also, check out Waterbury's stuff on T-NATION (http://www.t-nation.com). I just started ABBH right now. It seems alright so far.