PDA

View Full Version : It's April - how are your fitness resolutions coming along?

Warik
04-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Well Q1 2007 is over. Have you all been keeping your fitness resolutions or did you give up months ago? Tell your story. Here's mine:

Started my lifting program weighing 178lbs at 11.3% bodyfat. My goal was to reach 195lbs at 10% bodyfat. I also wanted to increase my strength big time. Just finished 11 weeks of training yesterday (skipped a week due to all-over body pain/soreness after my first snowboarding trip ever). Here are my results:

Weight: 190lbs (+12 lbs)
Bodyfat %: 11.3% (+0%!)
Lean Weight: 168.53lbs (+10.64lbs)
Fat weight: 21.47lbs (+1.36lbs)

Squat: 350 for 5 reps (+75lbs)
Bench: 240 for 5 reps (+55lbs)
Deadlift: 310 for 5 reps (+50lbs)
Military Press: 145 for 5 reps (+30lbs)
Barbell Row: 200 for 5 reps (+45lbs)

Very happy with my results overall except now my pants barely fit and I'll have to buy new ones. Planning to put on another 5lbs and then start doing cardio (probably H.I.I.T.) to trim down to 10%. I'm hoping to get there by summer time.

How'd everybody else do?

kerowo
04-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Since Christmas I'm down 20 lbs and went from riding my bike on the trainer for 45 minutes to doing 22 miles on the bike paths at close to 15 miles an hour. I'm about 2-3 weeks ahead of my goal for June.

kyleb
04-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Mods, can you move this to the playground? Warik PM'd me and asked me.

Snupoker
04-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Started at 203 and about 20% body fat. (I'm 5'10)

Down to 185 and ran a half marathon in February.

Looking to get to 170 by middle of June.

theblackkeys
04-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Is that normal to have squat numbers higher than deadlifts?

What kind of squats do you do? Ass to grass? Parallel?

edfurlong
04-01-2007, 11:53 PM
I tried to go to the gym tonight for the first time in a really long time, but they were closed.

24 hour fitness my fat ass.

Thremp
04-01-2007, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its not normal.

IronFly
04-02-2007, 12:04 AM
I was on pace for my goals, but then I tore my ACL a month ago. I haven't worked out or had the heart to weigh myself since then. <sigh>

DeMaci
04-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Having a higher squat than deadlift is not normal at all.

Warik
04-02-2007, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it is not; however, I have/had a bulging lumbar disc and have been very cautious about increasing my deadlift weight. I injured it in October of 2005 and didn't lift for 3 months. Before that I was squatting 305 for 6 reps and deadlifting 365 for 4. When I started lifting again in January of 2006 my deadlift was a massive 30 (yes, thirty) pounds. I built it up to 260lbs over the course of last year, then brought it from 260lbs to 310lbs on the Bill Starr Intermediate 5x5 program.

Although a strong lower back is important for heavy squats and plays a huge role, the role is not as huge as for heavy deadlifts. That, in addition to the fact that my legs are disproportionately huge in comparison to the rest of my body is why I squat more than I deadlift.

My deadlift will eventually catch up. Or not. I'm not particularly concerned with any number other than the one on the scale.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a squat unless my hamstrings touch my calves.

kidcolin
04-02-2007, 01:35 AM
Awful. I've been working long hours, eating crappy, and have hardly worked out. Basically sucking at life.

I apartment sat for my sister this weekend and ate at Tommy's Joynt 4 times over a 3 day spans. That is NOT good for you.

However I'm getting up at 6 tomorrow to do sprints and my apartment is now free of junk food, so no more screwing around for me.

theblackkeys
04-02-2007, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it is not; however, I have/had a bulging lumbar disc and have been very cautious about increasing my deadlift weight. I injured it in October of 2005 and didn't lift for 3 months. Before that I was squatting 305 for 6 reps and deadlifting 365 for 4. When I started lifting again in January of 2006 my deadlift was a massive 30 (yes, thirty) pounds. I built it up to 260lbs over the course of last year, then brought it from 260lbs to 310lbs on the Bill Starr Intermediate 5x5 program.

Although a strong lower back is important for heavy squats and plays a huge role, the role is not as huge as for heavy deadlifts. That, in addition to the fact that my legs are disproportionately huge in comparison to the rest of my body is why I squat more than I deadlift.

My deadlift will eventually catch up. Or not. I'm not particularly concerned with any number other than the one on the scale.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a squat unless my hamstrings touch my calves.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you hurt your back doing squats or deads? If so, what was the cause?

How is the Bill Starr intermediate program? That's the one with periodization?

Warik
04-02-2007, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you hurt your back doing squats or deads? If so, what was the cause?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hurt my back deadlifting after a long layoff without warming up sufficiently... then made it worse by doing the remaining 2 reps. oopsy. A mistake I'll never make again.

[ QUOTE ]
How is the Bill Starr intermediate program? That's the one with periodization?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, advanced is the one with periodization. Intermediate (http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm) is the linear progression one.

nation
04-02-2007, 05:14 PM
kidcolin,

"Awful. I've been working long hours, eating crappy, and have hardly worked out. Basically sucking at life."

aren't you the guy who tore me a new ahole for not having a great diet? at least i was taking the initiative to try to not be a fatass. i don't know if you're overweight or anything, but you probably shouldnt have been such an ass when you're not doin that great yourself dietwise. i may not be doing the best job, but i'm trying my best.

all,

i'm doing well. started at 260 on jan 1, and i'm 224 now for a 36 lb loss.

-nation

kidcolin
04-02-2007, 05:37 PM
nation,

I'll play the Thremp card on that one. What I said had merit and added value to the thread. And I just fell off the wagon recently (hence April started crappy). Also, try not to take everything so personally. I didn't tear you a new a-hole by any means, and you bringing it up as an "in your face" 3 weeks later is beyond petty.

fwiw, I'm overweight, but only 20 lbs. I woke up at 6 this morning (before the alarm!), ate a spoonful of peanut butter and some raisins and drank some green tea, ran my wind sprints (4 30 second sprints, 1 to 1.5 minute rest), then had a breakfast of oatmeal and OJ. Yogurt as a morning snack. Salad full of beets, broccoli, zucchini, spinach, etc and a few ounces of turkey for lunch. For dinner I have some chicken marinating right now and I'll have avocado, onions, and garlic to have with it. So I'm trying to get back on track.

But yeah.. me = pwned.

nation
04-02-2007, 05:48 PM
kc,

I don't want to drag this out, just was pointing out that you were unnecessarily condescending and harsh while I treated you with nothing but respect despite my resistance to advice.

Note that my log was there for information about what I was doing, not a plea for help. No need for the attitude when you yourself have not been following your own advice.

Thremp
04-02-2007, 06:45 PM
kidcolin,

WTF? What is the Thremp card?

kidcolin
04-02-2007, 06:58 PM
No offense intended. I was referring to how some have got on you about giving advice but having a less than stellar fitness record (J Brown and others), and my point was that's irrelevant. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

nation
04-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Thremp,

you can be a huge prick when you respond to others questions and comments, i.e. you'll say "that sucks" instead of explaining what should be done better. you also have a tendency to act superior to everyone while you mess up in your diet and exercise too.

thirddan
04-02-2007, 07:15 PM
i think this forum is a great place to post a log and get some motivation and a pat on the back...but don't come here for your fitness/exercising advice, go to t-nation or bodybuilding.com...just my opinion...

nation
04-02-2007, 07:26 PM
thirddan,

the pat on the back stuff is completely missing! i post on another fitness forum, and everyone treats each other with respect. none of the condescension that is here appears in that forum, and most members there are very fit as it's a bodybuilding site. virtually no unfit posters, the exact opposite of the posters here, yet HERE is where there's attitude.

absolutely unreal, because you'd think everyone would understand that any attempts to get healthy should be nurtured and not ridiculed.

thirddan
04-02-2007, 07:31 PM
nation,

meh, i think there is some, i think fitness is something that needs harsh motivation since its very dependent on hard work and motivation and its something so easy to cheat at and give up on...imo i keep fitness goals based on harsh crit similar to the way people used to coach poker strat here when dynast/clark/ulysses used to give advice, be harsh and people remember...

Thremp
04-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Nation,

No doubt I mess up as well. I post my log so everyone can see what I do. I think I've made it clear that its low on my priority list as compared to other things. That being said I think I'm fairly close to where I want to be (at this stage in my life). I am decently sized on my frame and I lift almost solely for "beach muscles". I just wanna look good nekkid, but want to develop strength at the same time.

kidcolin
04-02-2007, 07:41 PM
nation,

maybe people are condescending towards you because you derail threads (this one) and bring up petty crap from weeks ago. I briefly skimmed that thread, I had two mean, crappy posts (basically the same post) and later apologized for it. The rest was all good questions. You can't go whining about lack of encouragement and then bring up an old thread just to get back at me or whatever (especially in another, completely unrelated thread). It works both ways. To some degree, it's hypocritical, even. "Unreal", as you would say.

The reply you just made to Thremp was totally uncalled for. He asked me a question, I answered it. I meant exactly what I said, no more, no less. Why you felt compelled to answer for me is beyond my understanding.

"because you'd think everyone would understand that any attempts to get healthy should be nurtured and not ridiculed."

To some degree, maybe, but when the attempts are awful and ill conceived, should they be nurtured? I say no. Sure, you don't have to say "you suck" in reply to it, but you should certainly point out what's bad about it. Which is what everyone did in your thread, to which you replied "nah it's cool I cycle between 800-1600 calories and eat lots of powerbars." If you want to be nurtured, be willing to listen.

nation
04-02-2007, 07:53 PM
kc,

ok, 1. thats really stupid to say i derail threads. sure i went offtopic here, but i had something to say.

2. i replied to thremp because i've been pissed off about this forum for awhile. this could be a fun forum, but some regulars are copping holier than thou attitudes in their replies and it's really old and annoying, hence why i have given no updates. you might say my diet is bad, but at the very least it's information and data.

3. that's at least the 3rd time you have completely ignored something i wrote and manipulated my words to make me sound like my diet is crap. i specifically pointed out that i was on vacation and had powerbars on a few busy days. you're the definition of being intellectually dishonest.

kidcolin
04-02-2007, 08:05 PM
"ok, 1. thats really stupid to say i derail threads. sure i went offtopic here, but i had something to say."

No.. it's not. Just because you have something to say doesn't mean this was the place for it. If you want to pwn me, PM me. Or start an "*** OFFICIAL THE GYM PWN THREAD ***" and nail me for all the forum to see.

"2. i replied to thremp because i've been pissed off about this forum for awhile. "

Again, this is still a thread derailment (and just sorta dick in general, which based on your other posts, seems to be something you're against). Just PM him. Or start a "****OFFICIAL THE GYM HOLDING HANDS AND LET'S BE FRIENDS****" thread.

"you're the definition of being intellectually dishonest."

Actually, taking the "powerbars" part of my statement (which is largely just a joke) as the crux of my statement is just as intellectually dishonest. Obviously everyone's point in that thread is that you should eat more. The only reason people got on you about the powerbar thing is because you posted in a manner like you were tearing ass through this diet. Something like "sick day.. just 3 powerbars and some green tea" (don't exactly remember, but along those lines)... like that was awesome or something. Anyway I'm rambling. Clearly wasn't my point.

Thremp
04-02-2007, 08:11 PM
All,

I doubt I will pull 4 wheels before now and graduation. I think I can come semi-close and will give it my best effort, but looks like it isn't going to happen. Will have to work on this when I get back from Europe likely.

I didn't really set concrete goals as most of mine are to look studly which is coming along semi-well. The introduction of O-lifts have given a previously not noticed boosts to my traps. Hopefully my neck will disappear in a year or eight. Still way too fat vacation time will be devoted to cutting. Will report when I hit beach with sunglasses to see if random girls stare (The real test).

nation
04-02-2007, 08:15 PM
kc,

whatever man. you can keep saying i'm just derailing this thread, but my points are valid and pretty soon it's going to be a few guys tag teaming uninformed posters who are just trying to get healthy for the first time in their lives.

SmileyEH
04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
kc,

whatever man. you can keep saying i'm just derailing this thread, but my points are valid and pretty soon it's going to be a few guys tag teaming uninformed posters who are just trying to get healthy for the first time in their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nation,
I hardly remember how this all got started, but the problem is not that there are uninformed posters coming to get healthy - thats great. It's when someone comes in asking for advice and then just ignores it, although personally I don't care whether you eat 1 powerbar a day or 8. I mean I'd love for everyone to eat healthy and do clean and jerks from the age of 8 but thats not going to happen, and honestly whether someone takes my advice or someone else's isn't that big a priority for me. I like this forum because it gives me a chance to talk about something I'm interested in and learn some new stuff.

Whether kc was out of line really or not shouldnt really be a huge deal, he apologized now lets move on.