PDA

View Full Version : Strength defined as .....

Rearden
03-29-2007, 09:32 PM
What for each of you is most likely to make you go "wow that dude is strong"?

Bench #, Squat #, Deadlift #, Clean and Press #, looking in general big, etc.

Though there are somewhat established criteria as to what strength goals are in relative terms of bodyweight (2x bodyweight on y exercise for example) Im just curious what individual takes are on this.

IMO Squat and Deadlift numbers are significant here relative to the size and weight of the person... I dont pay too much attention to bench likely because in high school our entire football squad generally could bench more than they could squat... ah proper training

Another topic would be what for you guys defines someone as in shape... physical performance, Bodyfat %, what else or in what combination?

I just think its interesting how some level of subjective evaluation enters into even pretty rigid criteria like the strength numbers game

slickpoppa
03-29-2007, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Bench #, Squat #, Deadlift #, Clean and Press #, looking in general big, etc.

Though there are somewhat established criteria as to what strength goals are in relative terms of bodyweight (2x bodyweight on y exercise for example) Im just curious what individual takes are on this.

IMO Squat and Deadlift numbers are significant here relative to the size and weight of the person... I dont pay too much attention to bench likely because in high school our entire football squad generally could bench more than they could squat... ah proper training

Another topic would be what for you guys defines someone as in shape... physical performance, Bodyfat %, what else or in what combination?

I just think its interesting how some level of subjective evaluation enters into even pretty rigid criteria like the strength numbers game

[/ QUOTE ]

With respect to strength, I tend to value well-roundedness and functional strength. I've seen plenty of pencil-legged bench monkeys, and I've also seen really old school guys who could DL 600lbs but had absolutely no pressing strength. I'm the most impressed by elite strong man competitors becuase not only do they have explosive strength, but they also have incredible muscular endurance and underrated cardio for men of their size. I think professional powerlifting has become very lame since the advent of bench shirts, squat suits, knee wraps, etc. Don't get me wrong, those guys are ridiculously strong even without all that equipment, but seeing a guy wearing a bench shirt and moving 1000 lbs 6 inches is just not as compelling to me as watching someone lift giant boulders over his head. Oly lifting is much cooler than powerlifting as well IMO.

As far as good benchmarks for strength, I think the following is a pretty good barometer for a strong mo-fo:
Bench = 2x BW
Squat = 2.5x BW
Deadlift = 3x BW

Of course thats only a very rough guide as people have different body types and strength is not linear with respect to bodyweight. I don't know as much about oly lifts, but those are probably better indicators of raw explosiveness and athleticism.

As far as how I define someone being in shape, its hard to say. I tend to see things through the lens of competing in sports, and different sports and positions within those sports have very different physical demands.

cbloom
03-30-2007, 01:22 PM
BTW if you really want to test strength the Olympic lifts are way better because there's not really any cheating - either you do a clean lift or you don't. A lot of guys claim huge bench numbers where they're cheating like crazy.

delta k
03-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Meh, to define strength that way is pretty bad, in my opinion, because everyone does not have the same type of 'strength' goal in mind. Sport specific training might make you better at your sport without increasing your bench to massive numbers. And those guys with huge bench/dead/squat might not be able to do anything with it because they're so jacked up.

Hmm...now that I start thinking more, I guess strength could be defined in a way like that, for those who are lifting SPECIFICALLY for strength. But how many of us are? I'm lifting to get in better sporting shape for basketball/baseball, to get stronger for rugby and to get cut up and look better naked (which is probably the goal of 95% of people).

So I guess I wonder, how many people lift specifically with STRENGTH as their goal? I'd be fine if I never lifted a pound heavier than I am now if I knew that I looked and felt the way I wanted and performed the best I could, which I guess suggests that strength, as defined by 2x my BW on the bench isn't my number one goal. but maybe it's yours, i dunno.

cbloom
03-30-2007, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So I guess I wonder, how many people lift specifically with STRENGTH as their goal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only powerlifters. That doesn't mean it isn't a useful thing to measure and know about yourself, though. For example, you can clearly see when you have imbalanced development if your squat/bench numbers are out of whack.

diddle
03-30-2007, 03:59 PM
anyone who can snatch 225# or clean 315# is strong and athletic.

StaticShock
03-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Strong:
Bench - 1.5 X BW
Squat - 2 X BW
Dead - 2.5 X BW

In shape:
Bench - 1 X BW
Squat - 1.5 X BW
Dead - 2 X BW
Pullups - 10 in a row
Run an 18:30 5K

kyleb
03-30-2007, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Deadlift, Squat, Clean, and Bench numbers in proportion to their bodyweight. Genetic makeup varies so much that it's tough to give a straight multiplier.

Thremp
03-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Rearden,

I've thought about this for a while. Are you asking 1) Numbers that make up go "Wow" 2) Or numbers that are respectable for a fairly strong dude?

In shape... This tougher, usually per body comp anyone who looks "shredded" gets a nod from me. Or is able to play any pick-up sport without getting winded (I guess this also comprises a huge skill element, but meh... Being fit enough to overcome your lack of skills in some departments while still not getting exhausted is enough for me.) I'm not really impressed by guys running really fast etc unless you're as good as top level high school runners.