PDA

View Full Version : The Wall

kidcolin
03-29-2007, 07:33 PM
So I'm currently in pretty putrid shape. I'm 5'9", I weigh 180, and I deal with a fair amount of aches and pains from leading the office life. I was at one time a good athlete. I used to weigh 155-160 when I was younger. Played all sports, blah blah blah it's the same old story you hear a jillion times. I'd like to get back to that, maybe more in the 160-165 range, and become much stronger in my upper body.

Anyway, on to my point. I currently eat pretty well, and I'm trying to exercise more. I think I'm going to join this gym (http://www.fourthpowerfitness.com/index.jsp).

Here's my dilemma, though. I hit a major wall, often right around 5 or 6 o'clock, everyday. I typically leave work anytime between 5 and 7 o'clock. If I become serious about this, I could work it so I start coming to work at 8 instead of 9 so I that I would usually leave work right at 5 (barring the occasional but unavoidable late nights). I find it difficult to motivate myself to do ANYTHING when this happens, even simple stuff like doing the dishes when I get home. So if I want to start working out right after work, I need a plan, otherwise I'll be throwing my money away.

How many of you experience this? How do you deal with it? Tips, tricks? All comments appreciated.

SmileyEH
03-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Maybe take some sort of stimulant right before the end of the day. Cup of coffee or two, can of coke, red bull etc. Also, looks like you picked a great gym, taking the crossfit courses will be well worth it.

thirddan
03-29-2007, 07:43 PM
um, how about don't be a pussy?

skunkworks
03-29-2007, 07:46 PM
kidcolin,

You should see me when I get off work at 5-5:30. My drive home is only 15 minutes, but some days when I haven't been eating great or getting enough sleep, I'll drift asleep while waiting at intersections. Once I get home, I'll dick around on my computer until I get hungry enough to peel my ass off my seat.

In the past month or two though, I've discovered the joy of well-timed stimulants used in moderation: Monster Lo-Carb energy drinks. When I don't feel like I have enough energy or motivation to work out, I'll slam 3/4ths a can and then eat something light (banana, milk, etc). This usually gives me more than enough energy to finish up my day strong.

Typically, I loathe to rely on something like that to get me going (ex-smoker FTW), but if it makes the difference between working out or getting fat on the computer, how can I really object? I assuage my guilt by only doing this when work beats the [censored] out of me; if I'm feeling good after work, I'll head straight to the gym sans stimulants. I figure that using it sporadically will help it keep its effectiveness.

kerowo
03-29-2007, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh yoot.

Find a gym on the way home from work and go there from work before going home.

kidcolin
03-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Awesome TD. Cuz it's not like people never deal with this thing.

Smiley,

Thanks.. coffee might not be a bad idea. I used to drink a TON of coke and now generally avoid it. I was curious if just plain diet might have something to do with it. When I'm on top of my eating, I generally eat: 3/4ths cups of oatmeal in the morning (w/ raisins), some OJ and milk. I drink coffee when I get to work. 8 ozs of yogurt ~11 a.m. For lunch it's a salad and some deli meat (chicken or turkey). Afternoon snacks include fruit (an apple, banana, or both. I've read bananas make you sleepy) and a Clif bar. Lots of water too. That's my food intake before leaving work. Too little? Not enough of something?

Has anyone tried 5 hour energy (http://www.5hourenergy.com/)? Thoughts? I hear their ads on the radio quite a bit and they make it sound awesome but who knows.

kidcolin
03-29-2007, 07:54 PM
skunk,

Good thoughts. I too try like hell to avoid stimulants (other than the morning coffee, but mostly I just love coffee). I've never been into red bull or monster, but your suggestion has merit.

thirddan
03-29-2007, 08:00 PM
meh, whatever...your post made it seem like you werent motivated to go to the gym, if you aren't motivated to go to the gym no amount of coffee or spike or crack will force you to go when you could just go home and go to sleep or watch tv...

skunkworks
03-29-2007, 08:09 PM
thirddan, not everyone can starve themselves and still work out like you /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ultimately, you want to feel good about working out and have it become part of your ritual, because making workouts a conscious decision rather than routine allows you to come up with all sorts of BS excuses not to go. At least my own mind is tricky like that.

kidcolin
03-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Not sure where you got that from, at all. it's not about motivation.. it's about having energy right when I leave work. Whenever you're in that energy rut it's tough to do anything. You're yawning, your mind's wandering. It's exactly like what skunk alluded to.

For a while I was just doing long runs and push ups/crunches and had no problem sticking to that, but I'd often do it later at night after I got home, ate, and got my energy back up. With the gym that's not an option, as it's not open then, nor is it optimal. I'll be going right after work. I just know I've got a tendency to be tired then, I'm sure others have experienced the same thing, and I asked for some ideas.

Oh the humanity.

thirddan
03-29-2007, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thirddan, not everyone can starve themselves and still work out like you /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ultimately, you want to feel good about working out and have it become part of your ritual, because making workouts a conscious decision rather than routine allows you to come up with all sorts of BS excuses not to go. At least my own mind is tricky like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, maybe its my diet making me bitter...but the way i see it (i obv can't speak for others) is that people that come up with "excuses" like they are too tired after work to go to the gym are the same people that go to the gym for two weeks and then stop...people maintain training either because they really enjoy health/fitness or because they are very motivated (aren't pussies)...

kyleb
03-29-2007, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No more of this. You've been warned.

theblackkeys
03-29-2007, 09:05 PM
What times of the day do you typically eat, and what do you eat? That and sleep probably have a lot to do with the wall.

Edit: Just finished the rest of the thread, it doesn't sound like diet. Perhaps take a nap at work if possible?

Green Kool Aid
03-29-2007, 09:14 PM
i dont know if you have time for this, because im a college student so i have infinite free time, but before i go to the gym i often take a 20 minute nap which really gets me ready to go.

kidcolin
03-29-2007, 09:17 PM
GKA,

When I was in college I could've won a napping world championship. Enjoy it. I don't have time anymore.

On my way home from work I'm going to pick up some 5 hour energies unless they cost too much. I'll try those out.

XxGodJrxX
03-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Those energy drinks have a whole lot of calories. Just go to walmart and buy some caffeine pills. They are like 40 for $1.50, and they have NO CALORIES.

nation
03-30-2007, 12:52 AM
sugar free redbull has 10 calories

SuitedPair
03-30-2007, 10:42 AM
How about in the morning?

I just started working out and the only time I have available is in the morning and it’s been working out great. I set the coffee pot to start brewing about 10 minutes before I get up and work for about 45 minutes while drinking coffee to wake up and then go work out. It was hard to change what time I get up, but after about 2 months I adjusted and wake up before the alarm goes off.

Colt McCoy
03-30-2007, 10:58 AM
I have this exact same issue. I usually work 8-5, but my commute is about an hour. It's not so much physical exhaustion as mental by the time I get home. I'm just burned out. My solution has been to work out as soon as I get home and then relax, using the relaxation as my reward. That way I sort of mentally compartmentalize the workout as part of the work day.

cbloom
03-30-2007, 01:12 PM
kid,

I used to have this exact problem. It was more a mental exhaustion for me than physical, when I got off work I just wanted to drink and relax cuz work killed me. The solution was just to work out earlier - you can work out over your lunch hour and then just have a big meal shake after the workout and still make it in 1 hour no problem. If you're a morning person, work out before work (not for me).

Later on I got jobs where I could mostly set my own hours, so I'd usually work out in the afternoon before my energy died and then just work an extra hour each day. I'm pretty sure it made my work day more productive too because it gives you a nice break.

StaticShock
03-30-2007, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sugar free redbull has 10 calories

[/ QUOTE ]

FTW!