PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Muscle Mass/Weight Diet xpost from oot

water fowl
03-28-2007, 06:21 PM
So I finally got the inspiration to start a 2 day workout routine. day 1 is all upper body and day 2 is obv lower body and some workouts to increase my vertical "Plyometrics"(sp?). I am about 6'4" and weight approx 185-190. Any reccomendations of things to add into what I eat?

Currently eat on a regular basis..

Brocolli, everyday
occasional protien bar, after workout
chicken plain cooked, daily
Tuna, semi daily
Hard boiled eggs. Not sure if I should just eat white or both white+yolk... Insight here?
cereal for breakfast
lunch is usually brocolli+rice+chicken
yogurt

And of course other non significant things scattered in.
I think that I am on the right track with high protein food but I know I'm going to get sick of eating the same stuff daily and would like to have a better variety. Any Help with things to add to gain muscle mass?

AZK
03-28-2007, 09:01 PM
a post workout shake consisting of lots of protein and sugar.

Colt McCoy
03-29-2007, 08:30 AM
If you're really trying to gain weight/mass, you're eating way too clean. Your body needs fat to build muscle.

Doug Funnie II
03-29-2007, 12:33 PM
There's little benefit to eating >50 grams of protein in a sitting so maybe instead of eating a whole package of tuna, split it up. I try to eat 7-8 meals per day, each with ~25 grams of protein which amounts to a lot of peanut butter sandwiches, whole grain pasta, and cottage cheese.

SmileyEH
03-29-2007, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's little benefit to eating >50 grams of protein in a sitting

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? A normal dinner for me is 2 chicken breasts which is probably around 200 grams of protein. I'm confused.

skunkworks
03-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Smiley: 2 chicken breasts is 200g of protein???????? If they're boneless/skinless, they're maximum 70g-80. But yeah, the idea of "your body can only digest X protein in Y time" is kind of horse [censored].

Thremp
03-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Skunk,

Depends on the size of the breasts. I've bought some that were probably like >8oz and there was no way I was finishing it in one sitting with the rest of what I was eating. But yeah, a tiny little breast you get frozen from Tyson isn't gonna have 100g of protein.

You're exactly right. That "You can absorb so much at one sitting" stuff is more or less crap. You nitrogen retention will be worse than before, but its more or less immaterial.

SmileyEH
03-29-2007, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Smiley: 2 chicken breasts is 200g of protein???????? If they're boneless/skinless, they're maximum 70g-80. But yeah, the idea of "your body can only digest X protein in Y time" is kind of horse [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

2 chicken breasts for me is usually a little over a pound. Either way you're right this (http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-chicken-breast-meat-only-raw_f-Y2lkPTMwNzk5JmJpZD0xJmZpZD02ODI3NSZwYXI9.html) says 105grams/pound raw.

Doug Funnie II
03-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to accidentally give out bad information. The true point of my post was that if you're eating often enough, the extra protein is wasted. For instance as I said above I take in ~25 grams of protein at 8 points during the day. This keeps my nitrogen levels balanced as alluded to by Thremp. If I were to up my protein consumption to 50 grams 8 times a day I would see gains hardly any faster, if at all (I'm 5'8 150 so 200g/day is sufficient and 400 would be unnecessary). Basically 2 meals of 100 grams is better than 1 meal of 200 grams, but 4 meals of 50 grams is better, etc. So if you're below the amount of protein that you should be getting in a day then by all means, get that last 100 grams before bed. However, if you've already gone above and beyond the 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight convention, the consumption of extra protein is basically a waste of money.

anklebreaker
03-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Chicken Breast Fillets, Skinless

Calories in 100g of breast fillet:
Calories 116.0kcal
Carbohydrate 0.0g
Protein 21.8g
Fat 3.2g

Calories in a breast fillet (140g): 162kcal

SmileyEH
03-29-2007, 05:30 PM
I don't understand this protein per lb of bodyweight stuff. I want to keep my macronutrient profile around 40/30/30 protein, carbs, fat.

So if I am trying to eat 4k calories a day then 1600 of them will come from protein which is 400grams. I weigh 180lbs so that is more than 2g/lb of bodyweight, how is the protein I am eating wasted? If I'm tryin got bulk up than I need to eat alot. Anyway, perhaps I'm missing something but I never really understood that rule.

water fowl
03-29-2007, 06:07 PM
It didn't really come out correctly from the OP, but those are things I Include in my daily eating (not limited to those items). I Eat at least 1 meal a day at our school cafeteria things like meatloaf, pasta, macncheese, various sandwhiches tacos etc.

But from the posts I've read, you're saying that it's better to eat a larger amount of food with some protein items scattered in as opposed to high protein healthy food in smaller amounts?

Hope that made sense.

kyleb
03-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Doug Funnie is just trying to say that it is significantly better to eat your meals in a spaced out fashion for nutrient timing, and that overloading on protein produces diminishing returns after a certain point.

cbloom
03-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Yeah, if your goal is to consume 400g of protein, you will get better usable protein absorption if you each 16 spaced out meals of 25g each, rather than 4 meals of 100g each. Or that's the wive's tale anyway. Pretty hard to eat that many micro-meals in practice unless it's a shake.