PDA

View Full Version : Feeder Workouts

ImStraight
03-26-2007, 05:39 PM
This subject is open for discussion and is no way authoritative.

Feeder workouts are low volume, low intensity workouts designed to increase recovery. Examples of this include the 100 rep program that Chad Waterbury outlined previously. Any of the West Side Barbell gajillion sled workouts or some of the Eastern European stuff (similar but not exactly the same).

The basic idea consists of doing several additional workouts each week for certain bodyparts to promote active recovery through a variety of means. This can include sled work or bodyweight exercises or many other different activities. But essentially eschews sitting around doing nothing while brutally sore.

Thoughts? Results?

Doug Funnie II
03-26-2007, 09:36 PM
My track friends talk about doing something similar to these after heavy squat days and swear by them. I started doing them once I encorporated squats into my workouts because having all the muscles in your legs super sore for 5 days didn't seem like the best way to train. The program which I started doing (of my own invention, may be horribly wrong) basically goes as follows:

Heavy leg day- 5 sets of squats, 2 of which are working sets followed by supersets of hamstring curls with standing weighted calf raises to failure followed by a rotation of thigh aductor (sp?) and leg press to failure and sitting calf press.

Next day I'll do 3 sets of 20 bodyweight calf raises in addition to my normal back workout, as well as 3 sets of 20 bodyweight squats.

Following day no legs but still normal chest workout.

Following day I'll do 1/3 my normal squat weight but instead of stopping just past parallel I'll go as deep as I can for 3 sets of 10 in addition to lots of calf and hamstring stretching. Also shoulders, and forarms.

Next day is off.

Then its time to start my heavy squat day again.