PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on eliptical running machines?

wpr101
03-25-2007, 02:33 AM
I use them sometimes because I've got shin splints. How do you think it compares to real running? Two of my friends (1 girl, 1 guy) were telling me how they think it is a machine meant for women. I don't really care either way, but do you think they are useful or should I be doing some other substitute for running?

Mod note: I edited the topic to reflect the semi-correct spelling of "elliptical" because honestly looking at "oliptical" was really bothering me.

TimM
03-25-2007, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I use them sometimes because I've got shin splints. How do you think it compares to real running? Two of my friends (1 girl, 1 guy) were telling me how they think it is a machine meant for women. I don't really care either way, but do you think they are useful or should I be doing some other substitute for running?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried it. The treadmill is bad for me too so I was looking for an alternative. What I didn't like about the elliptical was it felt like my body weight was never fully supported - I was constantly trying to hold myself up.

I settled on the reclinated bike (the type that looks like it has a bucket seat rather than a bike seat). Personally I wouldn't care either, it's just a way to get my heart rate up for a certain amount of time in a controlled way.

theblackkeys
03-25-2007, 04:40 AM
I'd say keep on doing those if you're shins don't hurt during them. Might try switching it up between that and the bike.

kyleb
03-25-2007, 04:56 AM
I use the elliptical fairly often because I get shin splints and because I have previous knee injuries that I don't want to aggrevate anymore than I do with HIIT with my wind sprint program. It seems to work well enough, though you really have to be pumping to get a good high heart rate.

wpr101
03-25-2007, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Mod note: I edited the topic to reflect the semi-correct spelling of "elliptical" because honestly looking at "oliptical" was really bothering me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I was sort of drunk last night. For some reason I forgot that the name of the machine is based off ellipse. I'm a college graduate too. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Yea I might try the bike the next time I go and see how I feel afterwards.

Big TR
03-25-2007, 12:18 PM
I have a Kettler in my home that until 3 months ago was collecting dust for several years. I too get shin splints and have a bum knee but neither are problems with this machine. The resistance goes from next to nothing at 25 watts to ridiculously hard at 400 watts, which means I have no problem getting my heart rate high.

I switch between 1. Going fast on lower resistance to 2. Only one arm on the alternating leg to 3. Going backwards. Jacking up the resistance while using only one arm standing on the alternate leg really makes your arms scream after a few minutes. I have gained some definition in my arms just from this.

I have never had a problem with weight support like TimM discussed. This routine has helped generate a lot of strength in my bum knee. Granted, anything is better than sitting on the sofa.

45 minutes or so a few times a week have me down 20 pounds, to 220.

In summary, ignore your friends if you feel the machine is helping you.

SuitedSixes
03-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Anyoneknow how reliable the calorie measurement is on these things (specifically LifeCycle)?

wpr101
03-25-2007, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyoneknow how reliable the calorie measurement is on these things (specifically LifeCycle)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd assume they are fairly accurate as they ask for your age/weight at the beginning. Since they know your heart rate and the time elapsed I would think it would be a fairly simple calculation. But I don't know how they calculate it.