PDA

View Full Version : Shin pain running on treadmill

shakingspear
03-23-2007, 09:38 AM
For some reason when I run on a treadmill I get pain in both of my shins. The pain doesn't hinder my walking in any way (I'm not limping around afterward or the next day), but I can feel it if I try to run again or play soccer or whatever. I don't run on an incline and the treadmill is usually at 7.5. I have decent running shoes.

I don't get the same pain when I run for distance outside or when I'm playing soccer. Anyone have a similar experience? Is the obvious answer: "Don't run on treadmill anymore?"

CappyAA
03-23-2007, 09:49 AM
You probably have shin splints, which you can get from high impacts between your feet and the ground while running. I tend to get this too if I run on a treadmill or hard pavement. Try changing your cardio up a little bit by biking, using an elliptical machine, stair climber, or whatever. If you feel the need to run, try running on grass or a track.

theblackkeys
03-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Shin splints, try not running for a bit. If it hurts when you try running again, stop.

I hate shin splints.

shakingspear
03-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Cool. Thanks for the help guys.

StaticShock
03-23-2007, 09:08 PM
OMG treadmills are injury machines - please don't use them for anything other than a brief warmup. It's springtime now almost everywhere so it's time to get outside.

dms
03-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Rest, icing, and anti-inflams until they get better and then strengthening your calf muscles and the muscles in the front of your legs (along with streching) will help to prevent them from coming back.

mediumpimpin
03-24-2007, 03:50 AM
Ive had shin splints for like 5 years. The severity of the pain fluctuates, sometimes I have to take a few days off.(I run 3 -5x a week 2-5 miles. Dms advice is good, however I don't see mine ever completely going away which sucks. When they are real bad I will use the elliptical.