PDA

View Full Version : Sixes' Fitness Log

SuitedSixes
03-22-2007, 01:22 PM
I've been posting my questions, plans, goals, and supplements in other threads, so I thought I would condense it all into one. There are getting to be so many of these that I don't know if anyone will find it interesting, but it may help me to have some accountability.

Background: I'm 34, divorced and have 1/2 custody of my daughter. I've been a poker pro for the last two yeas, I have also started a screen printing business, and work at a golf course three days a week so the State can take my money for child support.

My dad is 64 and the longest-living male in my family. He has already had quadruple bypass, lymphoma, a pacemaker installed, and a stent as follow up to the bypass. I was very athletic for the first 20 years of my life, but my appetite continued despite the drop-off in physical activity.

On February 26, when I began all of this I weighed 250 (I'm 6'1").

Diet: I'm working very hard to not call this a diet. I've had two or three 50+ pound losses over the last 8 years that I just regained, so I am making a conscious choice to make this a lifestyle change. My really bad habit is Dr. Pepper, and I haven't had one in over three weeks. I am mostly about convenience, so I have been having 6 small meals throughout the day: either a protein bar, a frozen dinner (South Beach Diet or Healthy Choice), or Muscle Milk shake. I'll have cereal with skim milk occasionally for breakfast. The only problem I have had sticking to this has been in social situations or when my daughter wants to go out to eat. I am trying to stay below 2000 calories, and on most days I probably don't even get 1400. I have been taking Hot Rox Exxtreme and just started taking Betagen.

Exercise: I live outside of town and belong to Gold's Gym. The one closest to me (1/2 hour away) is very small. The kettlebell thread piqued my interest and I bought one last week. I really enjoy it, and feel like I am really pushing myself when I use it. I have never had much upper-body strength but my legs have always been strong. I have done tabata kettleball swings on Monday and Wednesay this week, and feel like they are really pushing me. I will do strength exercises with the KB the other three days a week. Bruiser had a great thread in the El Diablo forum about skills you're working on. A friend of my dad's good do 5 one legged squats (pistols) at the age of 76, so my lower body workout will be geared towards building the strength to do that. I'll follow the suggestions in The Naked Warrior and this article. (http://health.msn.com/dietfitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100150894)

My body doesn't break down uricic acid so if I get my blood chemistry out of whack it crystallizes on a joint (gout) and hurts like hell and can knock me off my feet for as long as a month. Any running at my weight triggers an attack, so I have just been going on long (2-4 mile) walks until am light enough for my joints to take more of a pounding. I have a few stressful situations going on in my life, and in the past I would just eat to cope, but now I'll just go outside and walk away the tension and it really helps.

Progress: I weigh 237 today, all of my pants are too big, and I'm on the last hole of all my belts (the skinny way, not the fat way). I am nowhere near where I want to be, but I do feel better and have more confidence . . . which is really what this is all about for me.

There's a water park near my house and I want to be able to take my daughter there this summer and not be embarassed to take my shirt off.

Here's my before picture:

http://usera.imagecave.com/BSwing23/brian.jpg

1C5
03-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Good for you, will follow the thread! You were one of the 1st posters to help me in stt's years ago on 2+2.

Good luck sixes!

Colt McCoy
03-22-2007, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Muscle Milk shake....I am trying to stay below 2000 calories, and on most days I probably don't even get 1400. I have been taking Hot Rox Exxtreme and just started taking Betagen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why Muscle Milk? It's a weight gainer and loaded with carbs and calories. Why not switch to a more diet friendly shake?

SuitedSixes
03-22-2007, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Muscle Milk shake....I am trying to stay below 2000 calories, and on most days I probably don't even get 1400. I have been taking Hot Rox Exxtreme and just started taking Betagen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why Muscle Milk? It's a weight gainer and loaded with carbs and calories. Why not switch to a more diet friendly shake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm taking Muscle Milk Light. 195 calories per serving.

SuitedSixes
03-23-2007, 10:19 AM
3/23/2007

Weight: 235 (-15 lbs.)
Body Fat: 32.1% (75 lbs.)

Yesterday's Workout:

Throughout the day GTG with ab wheel (I really suck at that thing).
5 minutes of Turkish Get-ups (I'm still very awkward with the transition coming back down, so I used a 15 lb. dumbbell rather than my kettlebell.)

Kettlebell Cycle (5X through)
5X Squats
5X Cleans
5X One-legged step ups.

At the end my legs were very wobbly. The definition in my legs already is amazing. I wear boxer briefs that used to be skin tight on my legs, and now they fit like normal boxers. My body analyzer thing says that I am properly hydrated, but I am getting killer cramps in my calves so I'll drink more water and take some potassium.

Colt McCoy
03-23-2007, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wear boxer briefs that used to be skin tight on my legs

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the visual. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SuitedSixes
03-23-2007, 04:20 PM
I did my planned 4-minute Tabata workout using Figure 8 kettlebell exercises this morning. It kicked my butt, but now I feel like I need to do something more.

I get fairly obsessed with working out when I do it, and I don't want to get burned out, but I also like the feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day, and I just feel like I should do something more today.

Wu36
03-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Good to see you here SS, I always liked your STT posts. Sad to say you might be sick in the head if you still want to train after a tabata. That or I'm just a huge bitch, so I'll believe the former.

SuitedSixes
03-24-2007, 10:24 AM
3/24/2007

Weight: 234 (-16 lbs.)
Body Fat: 31.8% (74 lbs.)

Yesterday's Workout:

Did the aforementioned Tabata figure 8 workout and continued to do ab exercises throughout the day. I used to have to suck in my gut to get my pants buttoned, now I just hop a little bit and they fall to the floor. I need to buy new pants, but I think I'll just buy a smaller belt for now and wait another ten pounds before shopping for more.

I read that in order for a man's abs to be visible he needs to be below 11-10% bodyfat. That would put me at 175. I imagine I am going to add muscle in the next few months as well, so I am shooting for 185 which is just 10 pounds under what I weighed when I played football and think is very attainable.

Here is my testimonial for Betagen: This is the second day after my first hard leg workout in years. My legs aren't the least bit sore.

SuitedSixes
03-25-2007, 10:49 AM
3/25/2007

Body Fat: 32% (74 lbs.)

Yesterday's Workout:

Did a kettlebell circuit X5 consisting of:

Chest Press RL X5
Military Press RL X5
Tricep Kick-Backs RL X5
Upright Rows X5

Then bicep curls 3 X12

I feel pretty worn out, so I'm looking forward to a day off. If anything, I may just go for a long slow elliptical workout.

I discovered Sugar Free Red Bull yesterday. I can't stand the regular stuff, but this was pretty good.

SuitedSixes
03-26-2007, 08:31 AM
3/26/2007

Body Fat: 31% (73 lbs.)

This was a frustrating weekend for me not seeing any reduction on the scale. I assume that the betagen and water wain is to blame. I know this is the typical "being results oriented) situation, but it still bugs me.

It has been exactly one month since I have had a Dr. Pepper. It has been over a month since I have eaten any fast food.

bluef0x
03-26-2007, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It has been exactly one month since I have had a Dr. Pepper. It has been over a month since I have eaten any fast food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats! Don't look at the weight and body fat % as results, start looking at your routine + diet as the "results." Continue avoiding the soda + fast food and you will drop plenty of weight.

diddle
03-26-2007, 03:45 PM
my weight fluctuates 5-10lbs throughout the day so don't worry about slight changes. The mirror doesn't lie.

SuitedSixes
03-27-2007, 09:04 AM
3/27/2007

Body Fat: 32% (75 lbs.)

Yesterday's Workout:

First thing in the morning I did Tabata figure 8's. In the afternoon, after work, I did the Man Maker from ETK (20 swings / Jog 50 yards / Rinse / Lather / Repeat) for 10 minutes. At night I was bored, so I put my kettlbell in a backpack and went for a 2.5 mile walk.

That was probably too much, but I don't feel bad today although my feet are a little bit sore.

My sleeping habits have really started to suck. I have no problem falling asleep at night, but once I wake up in the morning, I can't fall back to sleep. I have consistently been waking up 30-60 minutes before my alarm for the last two weeks.

1C5
03-27-2007, 10:25 AM
how many hrs a night of sleep are you getting?

SuitedSixes
03-27-2007, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how many hrs a night of sleep are you getting?

[/ QUOTE ]

5 - 6.5

SuitedSixes
03-28-2007, 08:50 AM
3/28/2007

Body Fat: 30.0% (70 lbs.)

Yesterday's Workout:
First thing in the morning I did Tabata Figure 8s. Then at night I did this cycle X5:

Dead lift X5
Pulls X5
Cleans X5
Snatch X5

SuitedSixes
03-29-2007, 10:29 AM
3/29/2007

Weight: 232 (-18 lbs.)
Body Fat: 29% (67 lbs.)

Yesterday's Workout:
Tabata Figure 8s in the morning
10 minute Man Maker in the afternoon
Jogged 1 mile / walked 1 mile at night.

Yesterday was a pretty big day for me. Someone at work called me "in shape," I ran a mile without stopping or any foot pain in the morning, and I found a hard bump on my hip which turned out to actually be my hip bone (hello long lost friend)!

I have read all the articles on Tabata, and understand why it works, but I think I am going to switch primarily to long moderate aerobic exercise (jogging and elliptical machine). My thinking is that after an hour on the elliptical machine (or 10 minutes of jogging) my heart is still beating faster than an hour after doing Tabata. I will stll do Tabata a few days a week, but for more of a conditioning exercise than for the fat loss value.

nation
03-29-2007, 10:49 AM
i'd really like to see a face pic of you now to compare to your old one ala dids.

SuitedSixes
03-29-2007, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'd really like to see a face pic of you now to compare to your old one ala dids.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll work on that, my computer and my camera aren't compatible.

I haven't seen my girlfriend since I started all of this. I expect that I will see her for her daughter's birthday on April 21st.

Here is my stated goal: I will have less than 50 pounds of body fat (need to lose 17) by April 21, 2007.

Also, I will be out Hot Rox Exxtreme in a week. I really don't feel that it has been that effective. Can anyone recommend something else for me to try?

SuitedSixes
03-30-2007, 10:03 AM
3/30/2007

Weight: 233 (-17 lbs.)
Body Fat: 29% (68 lbs.)

Workout:
Elliptical Machine for 60 min.
Felt really beat last night, so I thought I'd go to bed early. Woke up at 3:45 AM anyway, but got in yesterday's upper-body workout

5X

Chest Press LR X5
Overhead Press LR X5
One arm row LR X5
Upright row X5

Yesterday was a good day, mentally, for me, but physically I was pretty beat. I had a big meal at Panda Express yesterday. Tried to eat as good as possible, but I know it wasn't great (mandarin chicken with steamed vegetables). I don't know what to do about this sleep thing. Sleeping pills are a guaranteed way to throw my blood chemistry out of whack. I am short on patience with my daughter, and that just isn't me.

anklebreaker
03-30-2007, 11:57 AM
SS,

Nutrition: Macro-wise, you know what to do. On a micro-level, make sure you're having a multi-vite. Consider adding fish-oil caps and calcium if you aren't already.

Cardio: Switch it up. "Eliptical for 60 mins" was probably low intensity lameness. Interval train at higher intensities, and switch machines (treadmill, erg, recumbent bike, eliptical) if that keeps you motivated.

Lifting: I liked your kettleball workouts. Even on "upper-body days" try to get in some sort of posterior chain motions.

Good progress and good luck.

anklebreaker
03-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Oh, also, drink a lotta water. Especially since you're on a thermogenic.

SlackerMcFly
03-30-2007, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Snatch X5

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow! Your sex life has improved dramatically as well. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, I hadn't seen Sixes in a couple of weeks until yesterday and the results really are amazing. The pounds dropped are very noticeable, as is the improvement in his color and skin tone.

Also, the attitude and outlook seems a lot better, but maybe that's just due to the "snatch" routine....

Keep it up bro. You are making it work and it fits you well. nihan! Slacka

SuitedSixes
03-30-2007, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SS,

Nutrition: Macro-wise, you know what to do. On a micro-level, make sure you're having a multi-vite. Consider adding fish-oil caps and calcium if you aren't already.

Cardio: Switch it up. "Eliptical for 60 mins" was probably low intensity lameness. Interval train at higher intensities, and switch machines (treadmill, erg, recumbent bike, eliptical) if that keeps you motivated.

Lifting: I liked your kettleball workouts. Even on "upper-body days" try to get in some sort of posterior chain motions.

Good progress and good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

AB-

I'll add a multi. Good call. As for the elliptical, there is a certain part of this that is mental for me and doing Tabatas makes me just suck it up and get it done, it's quick . There's something I get out of spending an hour on the elliptical listening to that little voice in my head that gives me nothing but reasons why it's ok for me to get off and stop. I fight that bastard the whole time, get off the machine at the end of when I said I would, see how many calories I burned by fighting my tendency to take the easy way out, and win a personal battle for that day that shows me that I am changing on the inside as well.

As far as the KBs go, I am doing swings, figure 8s, and other posterior chain moves about 5 days a week.

skipperbob
03-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Grats...Keep up the goodwork /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SuitedSixes
03-31-2007, 12:02 PM
3/31/2007

Weight: 234 (-15 lbs.)
Body Fat: 28.8% (66 lbs.)

Yesterday's Workout:
Tabata KB Swings

I am getting a little frustrated with the actual number on the scale. I've always been a very good weight loser once I start. Despite the fact that I've only dropped one pound of weight in the last six days (if my body composition scale can be trusted) I have lost 7 pounds of fat and gained 9 pounds of lean weight.

I appreciate Slacker telling me he can tell a difference (and Skip for the encouragement), I don't see enough people on a regular basis to have any other basis for my improvement. I wonder if only weighing myself once a week will help with my frustration, but I really doubt I can do that. I think I have only been paying attention to calorie content and not enough to the type of foods I'm eating. I've probably been eating too much starch in the form of cereals, breads and potatoes and not enough fruit and vegetables. I don't really get hungry during the day, just at night.

Here's my plan of attack for next week:
Combination Warrior/Neolithic diet - I'm going to lightly graze on fruit, vegetables, and nuts throughout the day. Then I will have one big night time meal consisting of lettuce then protein.

At this point, I just need to have goals both short term and long term. This week has the potential to be emotionally stressful for me, so if I have a goal and obsession that I can control it will make the circumstances that I can't control much less important. I know that I need to be obsessed about something to get there and the birthday party in three weeks is a big deal for many many reasons. I think if I can look drastically different on that day, it will be huge for my self-confidence and outlook.

SuitedSixes
04-01-2007, 12:16 PM
4/1/2007

Body Fat: 27% (63 lbs.)*

Yesterday's Workout:
Kettlebell Circuit X5

Deadlift X8
Pull X8
Clean X8
Snatch X8

This workout totally kills me, way worse than a Tabata. I know I should be squatting, but it seems like my posterior chain is getting quite a workout from this that I don't know if there would be an added benefit. Start the warrior diet today. We'll see how that goes.

*That's down from 73 a week ago.

SuitedSixes
04-02-2007, 08:57 AM
4/1/2007

Body Fat: 27% (63 lbs.)

Yesterday's Workout: Active rest, went for an 8 mile hike . . . didn't touch a kettlebell.

GtrHtr
04-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Keep up the good work. Its very important that you do this, as I know you know.

I was a big runner until about 2 years ago when I had surgery on my hip. I mixed in other cardio before the surgery (swimming and biking) but really fell in love with rowing about 7 years ago when I moved to the UK. Rowing is big in the UK but not so much here. After the surgery I knew I had to do something so I got myself my own machine which I love. The greatest thing about rowing to me is that you can turn the fittest person into butter in about 3 minutes of all out rowing. Its a rare sport in the US, but is the best cardio + strength combo (and stand alone cardio) I've ever done. Zero impact.

A bit pricey, but well worth it and they are the industry standard and never break:

http://www.concept2.com/us/images/products/D_white_profile_320.jpg

http://www.concept2.com/us/default.asp

CharlieDontSurf
04-02-2007, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I was a big runner until about 2 years ago when I had surgery on my hip. I mixed in other cardio before the surgery (swimming and biking) but really fell in love with rowing about 7 years ago when I moved to the UK. Rowing is big in the UK but not so much here. After the surgery I knew I had to do something so I got myself my own machine which I love. The greatest thing about rowing to me is that you can turn the fittest person into butter in about 3 minutes of all out rowing. Its a rare sport in the US, but is the best cardio + strength combo (and stand alone cardio) I've ever done. Zero impact.

A bit pricey, but well worth it and they are the industry standard and never break:

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking about snagging one of these...the two in my gym are always taken...used to use the rowing machine back in college

SuitedSixes
04-02-2007, 07:13 PM
4/1/2007*

Weight: 229 (-21 lbs.)
Body Fat: 26% (59 lbs.)

Since I am on the Warrior Diet, I'm going to start having my official weigh-in before my big meal.

GtrHtr
04-02-2007, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking about snagging one of these...the two in my gym are always taken...used to use the rowing machine back in college

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't be sorry, I love Concept2.

SuitedSixes
04-03-2007, 05:34 PM
4/3/2007

Weight: 228(-22 lbs.)
Body Fat: 26% (59 lbs.)

Yesterday I just hiked 6 miles.

qdmcg
04-03-2007, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a college rower in the U.S.
These machines are amazing for general fitness and weightloss.
They have a bit of a different meaning for me as they represent 4 months of winter pain at 6 in the morning.
A bit expensive for home use, but well worth it IMO.

If you want any workout suggestions for these machines, I can post some.

SuitedSixes
04-04-2007, 02:58 PM
4/4/2007

Weight: 227 (-23 lbs.)
Body Fat: 29% (65 lbs.)

These numbers are wierd. I don't think I gained 6 pounds in fat since yesterday, and lost 7 pounds of muscle. I don't know, I guess my scale isn't as accurate as I had thought.

The Warrior Diet is pretty easy to stick to, but I don't know how right it is for me. Last night for my "big meal" I prepared some chicken breats with salsa over lettuce. I only ate about half of it before I was stuffed. I'm feeling pretty depressed right now, so that may be part of the problem with the appetite. Any ideas on how to improve confidence and self-esteem would be greatly appreciated. I thought being 23 pounds lighter would help. I have it in my mind that everything will turn around if I get a positive mindset, and then I just get bummed out because I can't stop thinking negatively, which makes me think more negatively. I quit my job at the golf course yesterday too. It just wasn't worth it for $10/hr. I did make a week's worh of golf money in my first three hours playing poker yesterday, though. When did this turn into a blog? I don't know either.

Oh yeah, I rode the ellipitical for an hour yesterday.

anklebreaker
04-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah, the scale is certainly not accurate.

Some suggestions: Don't make daily measurements for weight and bf. Track your progress by how you look and feel. Your workout and diet have served you well until now.

To motivate yourself, remember, the stick is more powerful than the carrot.

kyleb
04-04-2007, 06:15 PM
When I lost 30 pounds last year, I weighed myself every day and graphed it over 4 months (along with the "body fat %" they give, which is total BS). The general trend was downwards, but the deviations were pretty insane.

surfinillini
04-04-2007, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I lost 30 pounds last year, I weighed myself every day and graphed it over 4 months (along with the "body fat %" they give, which is total BS). The general trend was downwards, but the deviations were pretty insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

kyleb, is is possible to lose body fat % and gain weight at the same time...I've gained a little wieght over the past week but I've been lifting, cardio and taking in lots of protein...

kyleb
04-04-2007, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

kyleb, is is possible to lose body fat % and gain weight at the same time...I've gained a little wieght over the past week but I've been lifting, cardio and taking in lots of protein...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is, when you are already fat to begin with. However, it's probably due to water weight fluctuations that is causing the changes. It can be pretty drastic from day-to-day, especially when dieting.

SuitedSixes
04-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Could it be possible that I am very addicted to the Hot Roxx? I decided to skip them this morning, and felt very down. Took my afternoon does, and feel so much better.

kyleb
04-04-2007, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Could it be possible that I am very addicted to the Hot Roxx? I decided to skip them this morning, and felt very down. Took my afternoon does, and feel so much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a stimulant, so it's definitely possible to be addicted to them.

SuitedSixes
04-09-2007, 09:25 PM
4/9/2007

Weight: 229 (-21 lbs.) (my water weight is the highest it's ever been at 52%)
Body Fat: 25% (56 lbs.)

I spent the last four days at my parents' house in Texas. I took along my KB, and the weather sucked so I used my dad's treadmill for 90 minutes each day. I didn't eat perfectly, but I was pretty good. The clencher came when I saw the Holy Grail of Dr. Pepper . . . 6-Packs made with pure cane sugar rather than corn syrup. I've been trying to get my hands on that for a couple of years now, but didn't buy any.

I decided in my quest to boost my confidence and meet people that I should find a group fitness activity, so I joined an MMA gym today. I went to a boxing class today and I was the [censored] fat kid that I used to yell at when I coached football. I couldn't finish the jog, and my abs kept cramping up during the ab session at the end. It hurt like hell and sucked . . . its exactly what I need. I did a 15-minuted training session in the ring with one of the guys beforehand so I was already gassed by the time the class started. Granted I was a first class wuss, but I haven't pushed myself life that for about 15 years. At some point I saw a relfection of myself in the mirror and couldn't believe the difference in my face. I'll have to get a picture up in the next couple of days to show the progress I've made.

I had three hours sleep last night. The combination of my already jacked up nocturnal habits coupled with a two hour time change and early AM flight made for a long day. I'm sure my 2nd session will go better . . . it couldn't go worse.

I have a 12 day push to the birthday party. I want to take the boxing class every day as well as keep up with my kettlebell schedule. I think I'll save the KBs until after the class everyday, and I may knock out the tabatas altogether. My fat loss goal will be a piece of cake . . . I only have 6 pounds to go. I'd really like to have my overall weight down to 215-210.

SuitedSixes
04-10-2007, 07:33 PM
4/10/2007

Weight: 228 (-22 lbs.)
Body Fat: 25% (57 lbs.)

Went to boxing today. I even got killed in the jump rope warm-up! I'll get there.

Today's KB (X5):
Dead lift X8
Pulls X8
Cleans X8
Snatch X8

GtrHtr
04-16-2007, 01:07 PM
quitting?

einbert
04-16-2007, 01:14 PM
I admire your courage to join a boxing gym and be "the fat guy." Makes me want to join one and be the tiny weak guy. Maybe I will.

SuitedSixes
04-16-2007, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
quitting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I'm just cutting down on the updates. I really was under the impression that no one was paying any attention.

skunkworks
04-16-2007, 02:38 PM
I check in on your log for updates and Shakira and I already got my fill of Shakira, so where are the updates?

Korch
04-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Hey 60s,

I recently started going to a boxing gym too and was the "fat guy." Not only was I obviously out of shape (like 290) but I couldn't even jump rope. I was like a little girl and I could barely go 30 sec without stopping. My trainer made me do it in the right (for all to see). Anyway, it's better now. I look fine jumping rope, although I can't quite do full rounds and am even starting to sound good on the speed bag. I'm at like 250 now (which is far from where I started at over 350, but didn't box uttil 290).

Also, I used to get bad cramps in my foot. I did some google searches and saw people recommend taking some vitamin B suppliments for that. I take like 1000AU a day and haven't had a problem since.

SuitedSixes
04-16-2007, 05:11 PM
4/16/2007

Weight: 226 (-24 lbs.)
Body Fat: 27% (61 lbs.)

I've still been going to boxing class and doing my KB work. The boxing kicks my ass, but its fun and at the end of the hour I really feel like I did something to improve myself. I bailed on the Warrior Diet. I really wasn't doing it right . . . I just couldn't eat enough at night to get in the appropriate number of calories and I felt light headed throughout the day . . . not the way I wanted to feel with 35 pounds of lead swinging in the air. I'm back to the 6 200-300 calories meals a day and find it much better.

All of my XXL shirts look ridiculous on me. My girlfriend fired a pre-emptive strike yesterday and invited me to dinner tomorrow night. It's a wierd situation that can be pieced together through different posts throughout 2p2, but suffice it to say I am very excited . . . relieved and excited. She hasn't seen me in close to two months and over 25 pounds.

I didn't do all this for her . . . I did all this for me but our relationship will benefit as a result. I am more healthy, I am happier, I have an outlet to negative feelings, and I am much more confident than I was on February 25. If I were to describe the difference in the wat I feel I would say that two months ago I felt like a glob of lard. Now I feel like I have a pretty solid physique that is obscured by a thin layer of fat.

KittyLiquor
04-16-2007, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really was under the impression that no one was paying any attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget us lurkers!

----------Meow

Korch
04-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Correction: I mean Vitamin E, not B. And I take 800AU/day of it.

SuitedSixes
04-16-2007, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey 60s,

I recently started going to a boxing gym too and was the "fat guy." Not only was I obviously out of shape (like 290) but I couldn't even jump rope. I was like a little girl and I could barely go 30 sec without stopping. My trainer made me do it in the right (for all to see). Anyway, it's better now. I look fine jumping rope, although I can't quite do full rounds and am even starting to sound good on the speed bag. I'm at like 250 now (which is far from where I started at over 350, but didn't box uttil 290).

[/ QUOTE ]

Korch-
Do you ever think you'll get in the ring and fight somebody, or are you just doing it for fitness?

SuitedSixes
04-17-2007, 12:23 PM
4/17/2007

Weight: 224 (-26 lbs.)
Body Fat: 28% (63 lbs.)

I went to boxing yesterday and went for a 6 mile walk. I bought new jeans yesterday and had to buy 34 inch waist. All of my pants that I have been wearing are 40's and they had been tight when I started all this.

Korch
04-17-2007, 02:00 PM
i seriously doubt I'll ever compete. I'm not a naturally athletic person, more of a chess geek who has started working out a lot. Thing is, boxers are fantastic athletes who have natural gifts plus they train like crazy. Realistically, I probably couldn't fight anything but heavyweight and I'm not nearly as strong as those guys.

After feeling pretty good sparing with my 170lb trainer, I tried going at it with a ~300lb guy who has been going to the gym for a long time. He was just big, not cut. He was very nice and tried to give me pointers, but he basically man-handled me. He could probably have "huyt me puymanent" if he wanted to. That kind put my aspirations on a back burner.

I do like being able to jump rope like a champ and hit the speedbag (which would impress anyone in a non-boxing gym).

How about you?

SlackerMcFly
04-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Good going so far! Hell, I'm a 33 waist and thin as a rail....... Have a great dinner tonight my man!

SuitedSixes
04-17-2007, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good going so far! Hell, I'm a 33 waist and thin as a rail....... Have a great dinner tonight my man!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so nervous I want to puke! I know it will go well.

SuitedSixes
04-17-2007, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a pretty good kickboxer 15 years ago. Once I can make it through a boxing class, I'm going to start taking kickboxing and grabbling classes. Once I get a feeling for my skill level there I'll sign up for a fight night and try myself in the ring either boxing, kickboxing, or MMA.

Korch
04-18-2007, 10:41 AM
I really like watching UFC. I tried a BJJ/submission wrestling class a while back. It seems very awkward, at least for me, in the beginning. I also feel to heavy for it, like I'm gonna crush someone. I also found it awkward to be so physically close to sweaty men.

All the athletes at my gym whether boxing, kickboxing, or mma have insane conditioning. Female-wise, I think the kickboxers look the best.

SuitedSixes
04-18-2007, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really like watching UFC. I tried a BJJ/submission wrestling class a while back. It seems very awkward, at least for me, in the beginning. I also feel to heavy for it, like I'm gonna crush someone. I also found it awkward to be so physically close to sweaty men.

All the athletes at my gym whether boxing, kickboxing, or mma have insane conditioning. Female-wise, I think the kickboxers look the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the females at my gym are the best conditioned too.

SuitedSixes
04-18-2007, 02:02 PM
4/18/2007

Weight: 224 (-26 lbs.)
Body Fat: 28% (63 lbs.)

I just did my upper body KB workout yesterday to get pumped for the big date. It went better than I could have possibly expected. She has been losing weight also, and she said, "I spent 45 minutes picking out an outfit to wear to knock your socks off, and you walked in looking like that and totally stole my thunder." She also called me a "hottie" who could have any girl I want, now.

Everything was perfect, I think the issues we had are resolved and we are a better couple because of what we've gone through.

The next challenge for me is to continue on with the fitness and find a new goal to obsess over. Much of the time that I had been spending with her I devoted to working out, so I'm going to need to create different workout times now. For now focusing on making it longer through the boxing class is enough.

A question I have: How should I mixing in boxing with KBs? I think I may be doing too much because by the time the weekend comes around I am pretty worn out mentally and physically.

Genesis
04-18-2007, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
start taking kickboxing and grabbling classes

[/ QUOTE ] Grabbling...haha, I'm sure you meant grappling but it made me laugh.

FWIW - Grabbling : grab·ble(grbl)
intr.v. grab·bled, grab·bling, grab·bles
1. To feel around with the hands; grope.
2. To fall down; sprawl.

Or:
"Grabbling," or "noodling" as it's also called, is a technique practiced mostly, if not exclusively, in the American South to catch some huge catfish. It involves reaching into hollow logs, under rocks, and into holes where catfish like to lurk, grabbing them by the mouth, and then wrestling them to the shore or a waiting boat.

SuitedSixes
04-18-2007, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
start taking kickboxing and grabbling classes

[/ QUOTE ] Grabbling...haha, I'm sure you meant grappling but it made me laugh.

FWIW - Grabbling : grab·ble(grbl)
intr.v. grab·bled, grab·bling, grab·bles
1. To feel around with the hands; grope.
2. To fall down; sprawl.

Or:
"Grabbling," or "noodling" as it's also called, is a technique practiced mostly, if not exclusively, in the American South to catch some huge catfish. It involves reaching into hollow logs, under rocks, and into holes where catfish like to lurk, grabbing them by the mouth, and then wrestling them to the shore or a waiting boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Yeah, after I hit submit I realized I had it wrong. In high school, we used to call the wrestlers "grabblers."

There was a documentary on the "Oklahoma State Noodling Championship" which I am sure the Oklahoma Tourism Board wishes was destroyed and never aired again.

maniacut
04-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Overtraining is a real and serious problem. Don't be afraid to take a week or two off from working out, just keep your diet clean. Note, I don't know much about overtraining just that it's bad, and theres a delicate point where extra work is detrimental to your overall goals vs beneficial. I like to be better safe than sorry so well before I feel myself getting to that point I scale back my work.

SuitedSixes
04-20-2007, 02:20 PM
4/20/2007

Weight: 223 (-27 lbs.)
Body Fat: 27% (60 lbs.)

I just went to boxing yesterday, no KBs. It was an easier workout, either that or I am getting better. I have a grappling lesson scheduled for Wednesday. The big problem I am having is when we're doing abs. After 25 reps or so my ab muscles just contract and cramp. It's not the burning you normally get, but a full on violent contraction, and I spend the rest of the session alternating between doing the exercises and stretching out the muscles.

Would this be a good plan of attack from here on out?

Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Boxing
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday: Kettebells (alternating two upper body days one week and two lower body (glute chain) days the next)
Sunday: Nothing

Things with the girlfriend have been amazing this week. Everything is really looking good.

SuitedSixes
04-22-2007, 06:52 PM
February 25: 250 pounds
http://usera.imagecave.com/BSwing23/brian.jpg

April 22: 223 pounds
http://usera.imagecave.com/BSwing23/take2.JPG

The birthday party was a success. My girlfriend had many comments from her friends on how hot they think I am. As different as I look on the outside, I feel even more different on the inside. I am still 40-50 pounds from my goal weight, so I am not about to stop. It's just nice to know that the last few months have been worth it. Thanks to all for your support and advice!

-Sixes

WalkUpCondo
04-22-2007, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The birthday party was a success. My girlfriend had many comments from her friends on how hot they think I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loled.

anklebreaker
04-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Nice work! Keep goin.

GtrHtr
05-03-2007, 03:06 PM
gogogogogogo