PDA

View Full Version : Flexibility Routines

kyleb
03-21-2007, 11:35 PM
A big part of any athlete's training sessions include flexibility training to increase the range of motion you have and to help strengthen the tendons and ligaments in your body. I've read plenty of articles (Dr. Mike Marshall, Tom House, Chris O' Leary, etc) that indicate that stretching is in fact not "stretching," since elongating the connecting muscles reduces power and is actually damaging - therefore, flexibility is a little more descriptive from what I understand.

Post your flexibility routines here!

Currently, I'm using light-resistance rubber bands to work out my rotator cuff and to do exercises like the side shoulder raise, full can raise, simple curls, and so forth. I also do typical forearm flexibility exercises and use a hand grip for strength/flexibility in the wrists. For my legs, I do standing quadricep holds, toe touches, calf stretches, the "power pyramid" stance, and circles with my knees in a slightly bent-over position.

thirddan
03-22-2007, 04:01 PM
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640906

Wu36
03-22-2007, 04:53 PM
thanks for the link, this is definitely something I neglected.

theblackkeys
03-22-2007, 05:51 PM
I need to work on flexibility in my glutes, hammies, quads (basically my entire leg). I also am unable to do an overhead squat with the bar. That [censored] is hard. So perhaps shoulder strength/flexibility.

For my hamstrings, I do the lying hammy stretch with a towel. I also do a standing up stretch, where I bend down (hips and knees) and put my fingers under my toes, then try to straighten my back and push my butt out and up.

I do the standard quad and calf stretches as well.

I can't stretch my glutes without putting my knee in a bad spot.

Also, I don't do static stretches before I lift. I just make sure I can get into a "prayer" position in the bottom of a full squat. I do a lot of bodyweight squats before I actually put any load on as well. From what I've heard, static stretching reduces power temporarily, so I do it on off days or after workouts.

I have a broomstick, any good ideas for arm/shoulder stretches?

dms
03-23-2007, 03:37 AM
I would suggest streching after you workout if you can get yourself to do it.

If not, streching anytime other than before a workout is still a good idea. There are studies that show that streching before activity actually increases the risk of injury compared with no streching at all.

If your idea is to warm up and prevent injury before you start lifting/etc., then do things like jumping jacks or jogging to get your blood flowing and you'll be good.

tdarko
03-23-2007, 10:20 AM
In the Ash Ketchum thread I was really happy he brought up stretching b/c he was exactly right about it. Stretching teaches your body how to use your muscles and it is essential in fitness, athletics...he really put it well so I won't try to put it any better.

What I will say is that when stretching make sure you don't have the "no pain no gain" attitude that we all love to have. Sometimes people tend to think that if it feels like its stretching then it must be working so then I need to take it further and further. Going further than your body's normal range can actually cause muscles to work against themselves and inhibit flexibility; this is called stretch reflex. In the muscle/tendons are receptors that respond to tension. These receptors detect muscle length and are sensitive to stretch and the rate of stretch. When activated by quick reaches or forced stretching, the receptors cause the muscle to contract or shorten (the stretch reflex), which works against the stretch.

When stretching is done correctly you should feel a comfortable tension on the muscle. Then the stretch is enhanced as the stretch reflex kicks in. Within 10-20 seconds, the stretch reflex subsides, allowing further extension of the muscle. This is why holding a stretch longer than the first 15 seconds is more productive than short quick tugs on the muscles.

Stretching should be elementary but hardly anyone stretches correctly.

Also, if you are doing cardio such as running for instance, a good rule of thumb is the higher the intensity the more stretching you will need to do, the longer the duration the less stretching you will need to do beforehand.

Stretching after exercise is a must.