PDA

View Full Version : Torn Rotator Cuff Recovery

john voight
03-19-2007, 04:06 AM
I was doing a 5x5x5 work out (my own adaptation of it) for about 3 months. The results were great; I was getting strong fast.

I got a bit cocky, and decided to bench a little too much (on a machine thank God), and my left shoulder popped out. I pretty much got powned.

Two doctors; both say torn ligaments, and say "let it heal, come back if you have problems". IMO they are hardly experienced, but I question everything and everybody, so take it FWIW.

Well this was about 4.5 months ago, and I should say it is healing quite nicely; at one point I was not able to move my arm at all, now I can lift boxes, bags, light things etc... I swim, and play bball, and it will rarely bother me.

I plan on re-entering the gym this summer, possibly even in a month. I will no long do the 5x5x5 work out b/c I do not want to deal w/ extreme amounts of weight. I plan on just doing the minimum in terms of weight, and staying very careful. I wil prolly lift about 20-30% of the wight I was 5 months ago.

My question is:
1. what would be a good work out for my upper body -shoulder area, (anything specific for injury recovery? or just play it by ear?)

2. What supplements can I take to strengthen the ligaments and tendons in my shoulder.

3. What food can I eat to strengthen the ligaments and tendons in my shoulder.

I am not seeking clinical-quality input here from you guys, just some basic advice. So dont feel any guilt or responsibility in giving me your advice. I have had major injuries several times, and have healed very well, I am very cautious when it comes to healing. (im not so smart when it comes to preforming athletically though)

Thanks guys.

cbloom
03-19-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm doing a similar thing, I started a log here.

[ QUOTE ]

1. what would be a good work out for my upper body -shoulder area, (anything specific for injury recovery? or just play it by ear?)

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm doing :
3 days a week physical therapy, 3 days a week workout (alternating) 1 day rest

Make sure it's fully healed before doing weights on it - you might need an MRI for that.

Just start at very low weight and try to keep very good form and gradually increase weight as it feels comfortable.

[ QUOTE ]

2. What supplements can I take to strengthen the ligaments and tendons in my shoulder.

3. What food can I eat to strengthen the ligaments and tendons in my shoulder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of anything scientific to do this. I'm sure the nutso gullible crowd could recommend some shark penis extract or whatever nonsense you want to believe. Just eat healthy.

If you've seen a doctor and/or are doing PT you should know about appropriate use of moist heat, anti-inflammatories & icing.

Also basketball doesn't really seem like the best activity, but swimming is very good.