PDA

View Full Version : Egocidal's Weight Loss Log (uggghh...pics)

egocidal
03-18-2007, 02:33 PM
At the end of my freshman year of college, I weighed 250 lbs. I suppose my problems stem from the quantity of what I eat rather than the quality simply because I have a lack of will power. That is, I would buy more healthy foods or try to eat them at the cafeteria but would have large amounts, ie: "oh, a baja chicken sub looks good. I'll have a footlong, put some pepper jack on that, and the baja sauce." Yea. I had always done sports in high school, and was fairly active and lifted a lot, but the lack of real cardio and mass eating built it all up. At school I joined the rugby team, but was bad due to my lack of speed and lack of ability to run for 80 minutes at a time.

Last summer I got fed up with never being comfortable with my shirt off, being ashamed about my weight, etc. I was working in a factory for the three months I was home, and my routines became very, well, routine. Every day I got up at 6:30, hit the spinning bike in the basement for 20 minutes, then took a steam shower. All meals before dinner were something small, like two peices of wheat toast with pb&j, or a hot pocket (just one, nothing else on the side.) Something huge was cutting everything but V8 (sodium free), skim milk, and water from my drinking habits. If you think about it, how gross is it that most of what we drink is a processed unhealthier version of water, loaded with sugars and chemicals to make it taste more exciting? Dinner was strictly one helping of whatever my mother was cooking that night, no more. And no snacking at all. Workouts were light, and I think I lost some muscle. But I was always active, playing volleyball outside, or running, or whatever so I kept up a physique of sorts.

Before pics: holy god, i look really bad.
http://xs413.xs.to/xs413/07110/fatpic1.png http://xs413.xs.to/xs413/07110/fatpic2.png

I thought my lack of will power would be killer on this. But as soon as I made it through the first week, it became this contest with myself, something that I actually really wanted. (I think this behavior is not healthy btw, I doubt any pro would reccomend this diet/regimine to anyone.) Meals got smaller and the bike got kicked up to 20 in the morning and 20 at night. I weighed myself habitually (also a habit that isn't good) on the pallet scale at the factory each morning. I lost ~25 lbs in 2.5 months.

After pics @ 220 lbs:
http://xs413.xs.to/xs413/07110/newpic2.png
http://xs413.xs.to/xs413/07110/n10806547_30961971_2127.jpg
just a wee bit of flexing baby:
http://xs413.xs.to/xs413/07110/newpic1.jpg

When I got back to school (which is in CA, which is what made being fat so hard lol), the reaction was noticable, especially from girls. A girl I was in the friend zone with for the whole of last year jumped my bones within a week and a half of being at school, and random parties netted a whole lot more for me than before. I began starting some games for the rugby team due to the fact that I was quicker, stronger, and more able to run the field for longer than before. But my loss has stagnated, slowed down, stopped, etc. I work out now something like
M: bike/treadmill for 20. Freeweights back and bi's and tri's.
Tuesday: rugby practice
Wednesday: bike/treadmill. Shoulders/chest
Thursday: practice
Friday: cardio and core stuff

I don't use a regimented work out, I sort of drift from machine to machine /images/graemlins/blush.gif

What is the best way for me to get to 200 lbs and look badass? GO!

nation
03-18-2007, 04:08 PM
wow man you look pretty effing fit at 220 lbs...how tall are you??

egocidal
03-18-2007, 04:17 PM
I've decided instead of just asking for advice, I'll go into a bit more detail about my workout.

Monday:
-start with 10 minutes on bike, then 10 on treadmill at a fast clip.
-back: lateral pulldowns (~100 and going up 20 lbs each set, 3 sets)
cable row: (no idea as to what weight it was, about 120 increasing 20 each set, 3 sets)
dips: (about 30 total)
-biceps: 3 sets regualr curls (30lbs 12 reps, 35 lbs 10 reps, 40 lbs 8 reps)
3 sets hammer curls (bout the same weights)
-triceps: whatever its called when you get a freeweight dumbell and lift it from a sitting position behind your head and extend to the ceiling /images/graemlins/smile.gif. 3 sets (12 reps @ 60, 10 @65, 8 @70
laying dips, I put my feet up on a flat bench with my triceps behind me on another doing dips, about 30 total.
-I try to throw in situps (about 4 different concentrations) and pushups at the end.

Wednesday:
-Start with same cardio
-incline bench press: (w/ dumbells, 3 sets. 12 @ 45, 10 @ 50, 8 @55.
-fly: (3 sets, 85, 100 and 115.)
-shoulder press
-other shoulder lift with dumbells that I don't have a name for /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Friday: I tend to just do cardio or play basketball, i used to do the core stuff like squats and whatnot but I've slacked. I feel too tired in my lower body from practice to do leg stuff, should I still do it friday?

Yesterday to eat I skipped breakfast ( i know i know), for lunch one egg and two pieces of wheat toast with pb&j (the bread is great but its bout 3/5th the size too which helps out portion sizes), and then I f'ed up. I blazed and was giving people rides to places and decided on a 10 piece BBQ boneless wings from KFC. I was really depressed after. I stopped eating after that though. Thought about pulling my own trigger to get rid of the crap in my stomach, then decided to just deal with it without tearing my throat lining apart.

I'm going to hardboil the rest of my eggs and eat 2 for lunches throughout the week.

egocidal
03-18-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm 6 foot. I'm flexing my abs pretty hard lol. I honestly think I could be a beast if I was like 200lbs. I would really like to know my body fat % though.

egocidal
03-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Broke down a bit today. I'm pledging a fraternity and it's nonstop work combined with school which makes for a hectic schedule. For breakfast I got up at 10 (st. paddies baby!) and got an apple from the school cafeteria. I did schoolwork for a bit, didn't go to the gym. Lunch was two pieces of toast and a small container of sushi with a green tea drink. Throw in more busy work and fraternity stuff and dinner rolls around at 7:30 and I get a piece of lasagna with veggies and garlic bread /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Will try to run tonight, but hw and a midnite meeting will take precedence.

death_blooms
03-19-2007, 12:20 AM
These may help you some.

1. 6 smaller meals per day (2.5 hrs between each)
2. Lift legs.. (squats, leg curls, leg extensions, calves)
3. Do cardio in the morning before eating
4. Do 3 sets...high reps...
5. Switch to whole wheats, high fibers, and stay away from
transfats.

Avoid machines if you can, using free weights = better results.

cbloom
03-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Dude, just go do some runs with the backs on your rugby team, no way you can be fat.

(for those who don't know)
A good rugby run is basically HIIT - you jog around lightly and when you do hands (tossing the ball down the line) you sprint onto the ball as hard as you can, then slow back down to a jog and you just keep doing that up and down the field. Then you can alternate in some kick-aheads where one back pooch kicks it and everyone sprints on to the ball. I feel like puking just thinking about it; ah, good times.

egocidal
03-20-2007, 11:05 AM
This sucks as I was way too busy yesterday to go to the gym. These small bumps may seem pointless but I feel like if I hold myself responsible to write down what I did and ate that day, it stops me from at least eating bad.

Monday:
-breakfast: two harboiled eggs @ 10 a.m.
-lunch: tuna wrap @ 3:30 p.m.
-dinner: was running around all night and fit in a skim milk no whip cream toffee latte freeze. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I can't seem to find time to get into the gym right now because of how crazy fraternity stuff is, but I will try get there this week.

egocidal
03-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Tuesday did nothing out of ordinary, had hardboiled eggs for breakfast, panda express for lunch (its interesting to make the best out of fast food, I got white rice with two entrees, pork and chicken with string beans.) finished half, then had the other half for dinner. No time for gym.

Finally got time to go to gym today. Breakfast didn't happen but I had a good lunch today, brown rice with beef teriaki and peppers. Delicious, and brown rice is key instead of fried. Hit the gym for as long as I could and did this:

Warmed up with bike after seeing Dids' thread on doing major cardio last. 15 minutes.
-bicep curls: 30 (12), 35 (10) and 35 (8). I alternated sets with tricep extensions using a dumbell.
-triceps ext: 60 (12) 65 (10) and 70 (8).
-lateral pulldown: 130 (12) 140 (10) and 150 (8).
-cable row: 130 (12) and 145 (9). My back and arms were very tired, I think my form is off.
-bicep hammer curl: 35 (12) and 40 (10). Alternated sets with dips lying across two benches, two sets of 25.
Elliptical Machine:20 minutes.

Felt good after, did take home accounting test (lol) and met someone for dinner. They wanted chipotle, and I felt good about today, so I went and got a burrito with peppers and onions, corn, mild salsa, and steak. I shouldve gotten the chicken, but I got weak. /images/graemlins/frown.gif. recurring, huh.

egocidal
03-26-2007, 12:42 PM
There will be little to no updates this week seeing as it is hell week for the fraternity. 5 days...

egocidal
03-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Well, actually got quite the non-standard workout in last night. Without going into too much detail, while on the beach from roughly 11 at night to about 3:30 in the morning I did pushups (one two three ONE one two three TWO etc...) probably about 100 reps, so 200 pushups. I did situps (same count) for about the same number of repetitions, and oompaloompas, which are squat motions with your arms straight out in front of you. (same count). Probably did about 200 of those, and they actually got to be quite a cardio workout. Plus lots of walking/pulling [censored] in the sand. Thinking about adding a day of exercises like these into my schedule cause I felt sore but great this morning despite the two hours of sleep i got. Frat..frat..frat..frat...

egocidal
03-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Updated weight: 216. boomshakalaka

Jerome Graham
03-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Go here http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460027 and read...

but basically follow these rules...

1. Eat every 2-3 hours.
Are you doing this – no matter what? Now, you don’t need to eat a full meal every 2-3 hours but you do need to eat 6-8 meals and snacks that conform to the other rules below.

2. Eat complete, lean protein each time you eat.
Are you eating something that was an animal or comes from an animal – every time you feed yourself? If not, make the change. Note: If you’re a vegetarian, this rule still applies – you need complete protein and need to find non-animal sources.

3. Eat vegetables every time you eat.
That’s right, in addition to a complete, lean protein source, you need to eat some vegetables every time you eat (every 2-3 hours, right?). You can toss in a piece of fruit here and there as well. But don’t skip the veggies.

4. Eat carbs only when you deserve to.
strategies for success 6
Well, not ALL carbs – eat fruits and veggies whenever you want. And if want to eat a carbohydrate that’s not a fruit or a vegetable (this includes things like simple sugars, rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, etc), you can – but you’ll need to save it until after you’ve exercised. Yes, these often heavily processed grains are dietary staples in North America, but heart disease, diabetes and cancer are medical staples – and there’s a relationship between the two! To stop heading down the heart disease highway, reward yourself for a good workout with a good carbohydrate meal right after (your body best tolerates these carbohydrates after exercise). For the rest of the day, eat your lean protein and a delicious selection of fruits and veggies.

5. Learn to love healthy fats.
There are 3 types of fat – saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated. Forget about that old “eating fat makes you fat” maxim. Eating all three kinds of fat in a healthy balance (about equal parts of each) can dramatically improve your health, and even help you lose fat. Your saturated fat should come from your animal products and you can even toss in some butter or coconut oil for cooking. Your monounsaturated fat should come from mixed nuts, olives, and olive oil. And your polyunsaturated fat should from flaxseed oil, fish oil, and mixed nuts.

6. Ditch the calorie containing drinks (including fruit juice).
In fact, all of your drinks should come from non-calorie containing beverages. Fruit juice, alcoholic drinks, and sodas – these are all to be removed from your daily fare. Your best choices are water and green tea.

7. Focus on whole foods.
Most of your dietary intake should come from whole foods. There are a few times where supplement drinks and shakes are useful. But most of the time, you’ll do best with whole, largely unprocessed foods.

8. Have 10% foods.
I know you cringed at a few of the rules above. But here’s the thing: 100% nutritional discipline is never required for optimal progress. The difference, in results, between 90% adherence to your nutrition program and 100% adherence is negligible. So you can allow yourself “10% foods” – foods that break rules, but which you’ll allow yourself to eat (or drink, if it’s a beverage) 10% of the time. Just make sure you do the math and determine what 10% of the time really means. For example, if you’re eating 6 meals per day for 7 days of the week – that’s 42 meals. 10% of 42 is about 4. Therefore you’re allowed to “break the rules” on about 4 meals each week.
strategies for success 7

9. Develop food preparation strategies.
The hardest part about eating well is making sure you can follow the 8 rules above consistently. And this is where preparation comes in. You might know what to eat, but if isn’t available, you’ll blow it when it’s time for a meal.

10. Balance daily food choices with healthy variety.
Let’s face it, when you’re busy during the week, you’re not going to be spending a ton of time whipping up gourmet meals. During these times you’re going to need a set of tasty, easy to make foods that you can eat day in and day out. However, once every day or a few times a week, you need to eat something different, something unique and tasty to stave off boredom and stagnation.

Truja
03-28-2007, 05:08 PM
You really look much better in the "after" pics, congratulations. You've got big arms and the part under the neck aswel (i dont know how this muscles are called...). But you need to train harder you chest, shoulders and back

Arnett23
03-28-2007, 06:27 PM
When you are doing your workouts alternate pushes and pulls, you don't want to do them on the same day. Ex. you shouldn't be doing curls and triceps in the same day. 1 day should be bench/triceps/shoulder presses/dips etc. day 2 should be curls/upright rows/pull downs or ups/ shrugs etc. That way you can isolate each muscle group and you will see massive improvement.

Remember also that it isn't all about losing weight, it is about looking good aka fat %. When you are working out you are going to be putting on muscle, that is why the wieght loss seems to be standing still. Muscle weighs more than fat.

SmileyEH
03-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Ego,

The lifting you are doing right now is pretty horrible. Tons of isolated muscle movements and machines. This is especially horrendous if you are trying to improve your rugby performance.

egocidal
03-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Yea I don't really have a "workout". ive been browsing bodybuilding.com and stuff looking for a more regimented type workout, and hope to start one once this week is over. Lack of sleep (~5 hours in two days) doesn't help.

egocidal
03-28-2007, 08:08 PM
And the eating has been sporatic and bad in the last few days. Like I said, over the summer I didn't really always eat the most healthy stuff, I just ate less of it. Today was better:

toasted bagel w/ low fat cream chees (one mini restaurant container's worth) and two strips of bacon on it.

chicken club sandwich (no mayo/middle slice of bread)

dinner:???

As for vegetables, I rely on V8 low sodium every day for my veggie intake.

egocidal
03-30-2007, 06:39 PM
I've started a 'beginners' workout from bodybuilding.com that I think is not too harcore but it is way more organized than what I was doing before...friday:

Dips (emphasis on tricep): 8/6/4
Skullcrushers: 12/10/8 @ 60, 70, 70
Close Grip BP: 12/10 @ two plates of 25, then add 10 each
Standing EZ bar grip Curls: 12/10/8 @ 30, 35, 35
Preacher DB curls: 10/8 @ 30/35
Alt. Seated Hammer Curls: 20/16 @ 30/35

15 minutes on bike, 10 minutes on elliptical. Nothing to each yet unfortunately, got up at 130 ish and went to gym. got to bed at 4 am though so thats why it all evens out.

Weight: 215

http://i11.tinypic.com/4hrfhw4.jpg

egocidal
04-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Yesterday. Not too great, but better than before I started this:

New breakfast is Special K vanilla almond cereal, one small bowl w/ skim milk.

Lunch was a 1ft roast beef on wheat, w/ lettuce, onions, and oil and vinager on top. Probably shouldve just gotten the 6 inch, but I felt full enough to not eat again till night time.

Dinner was a toasted pb&j (reduced fat skippy) w/ skim milk. I'd like to add that reduced fat creamy skippy, when cold, is better tasting than most other peanut butters. And I'm a crunchy type of guy too.

I find that my schedule is still too weird and unstructured in college to do 6 small meals a day. Whatever, I think my new workout and continued eating habits will do the trick. Still at 215.

no workout yesterday because it was the day of our initiation, so busy most of the free hours. Today no gym because I have a game at 7 p.m. @ Occidental. We win this, we maintain our #1 spot in division and playoffs will be at home in two weeks.

anklebreaker
04-01-2007, 08:29 PM
jg, good diet recap.

ego, just like the previous workout log you posted, the last one focuses way to much on isolation (of biceps and triceps.) This is quite wasteful considering your goals are getting strong and lean.

Check out some of the other threads on Rippetoe's program.

egocidal
04-02-2007, 12:53 AM
But isnt having three days a week workout, with each day rather isolated, still a good workout? I do cardio and pushups and situps each day regardless.

egocidal
04-03-2007, 04:58 PM
No excuses. That's something I've been telling myself since last summer. When I [censored] up, its my fault, I'm not going to blame metabolism or circumstances or whatever. Looking at the past week, I've definitely been doing so, and its time to stop. Yesterday to celebrate my first weekday of freedom from pledge work I got blazed as [censored] in the morning. I ate 4 [censored] BOWLS OF CEREAL for breakfast. Jesus. The only saving grace is that it isn't frosted flakes or something, its Special K. Lunch didn't exist cause I was asleep, but dinner was a large PB&J and a toffee latte freeze.

I gained 3 lbs yesterday. I weighed 215 and today I've weighed myself at three different times and I am now 218. So I took that rage to the gym, forgot my notes for a workout, and did this:

(note: this may be too isolated still, but I have yet to read the rippetoe thing. will do asap)

10 minutes elliptical.
Shoulder Rear Delt Raises: 12/20, 10/25, 8/30
Incline Press w/ dumbells: 12/50, 10/55, 8/60
Military Press w/ dumbells: 12/45, 10/50, 8/55
Chest fly: 12/85, 10/100
Shoulder Shrugs: 12/60, 10/65, 8/70
Bench Press: don't remember, did two plates of 45 on each side, then 55 on each side? I was tired by then.

1 mile sprint on treadmill.

Ate half a pb/j for breakfast, and started to get an egg w/ no cheese burrito for lunch. Threw it out 5 bites in because it was gross and it was like monday morning all over again. I'll try to have something good for dinner. I have practice at 3:30 and I'll get more cardio then for sure.

I'd like to point out that I'm not trying to get a full body workout most of the time. I don't need to be a star athlete, rugby is for fun. I agree that bi's and tri's now seems a little concentrated for one day's workout, but something like shoulders/chest on another day and legs/back on the third workout seems ok. I'm going to read the rippetoe thing now, see if I come up with a new idea.

SmileyEH
04-03-2007, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What is the best way for me to get to 200 lbs and look badass? GO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Squat, deadlift, press, power clean.

egocidal
04-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Read beginning of rippetoe thread just now. looks interesting. So unconventional though to not work out bis/tris/back/etc specifically, instead just doing these. I'll try it starting tomorrow. Hey, playoffs in two weeks. Maybe this will make my legs that much more powerful, i dunno. maybe just sore.

Hendricks433
04-03-2007, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So unconventional though to not work out bis/tris/back/et

[/ QUOTE ] He does work the back. Thats rows or powercleans and deadlifts. Also working biceps and triceps dont make you strong. Squats, Deads, Cleans and Bench do.

egocidal
04-03-2007, 09:33 PM
So if I want to keep those defined, will they see benefit from these excercizes? Or can I train them in the off days?

TimM
04-03-2007, 09:34 PM
The rows/cleans will hit the biceps and the bench and press will get the triceps.

Is this really unconventional? It seems like back to old fashioned basics. In fact when I first looked at the book on amazon I thought it was going to be 30 years old.

egocidal
04-03-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't know, I've never had a trainer or anything, and I've always just done what everyone else was doing at the gym. I guess that's what led my physique to look like it does now. Even though I lost weight, there are parts of my body (shoulders, back) that lack the same definition as others. I suppose keeping it in the core is best overall then, we'll see how it goes.

SmileyEH
04-03-2007, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, I've never had a trainer or anything, and I've always just done what everyone else was doing at the gym.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because 95% of those in the gym have no clue what they are doing. Men's Health style weight training is a joke.

egocidal
04-03-2007, 11:18 PM
I'll be completely honest and say that I find that hard to believe. Not in a "you are an idiot" way, but that no one has ever said that Men's Health workouts are not helpful. I think the cooking articles and fashion stuff for men is great. I've never really been the type to cut out and use the workouts given in them, but they do look rather intense.

egocidal
04-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Also, if I don't normally do squats or deadlifts, etc, what should I start out on? The program says its directed at skinny young guys, but I have a fair amount of strength in me. Whats a good weight???

Wu36
04-03-2007, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if I don't normally do squats or deadlifts, etc, what should I start out on? The program says its directed at skinny young guys, but I have a fair amount of strength in me. Whats a good weight???

[/ QUOTE ]
Get a spotter and try it out, you'll probably be able to deadlift a good amount (I'd guess you could pull in the 225 range, possibly more). I'd start light in both though (especially the squat, heavy weight early breeds terrible form).

More importantly, get someone to check your form. Making technical mistakes in the compound lifts can be really dangerous (especially when you progress to higher weights).

You'll have to swallow your pride at first, but you can be moving big weight in relatively little time. Just make sure the form is good and everything will fall into place.

anklebreaker
04-04-2007, 12:49 AM
ego,

By doing the smiley/rippetoe/"unconventional" type workout you benefit through multiple pathways. First, you're gonna be be working the large muscle groups and posterior chain, which directly helps you gain lean muscle through hypertrophy. Second, by doing such heavy compound lifts your cardiac output will be higher, and you'll burn more fat (besides the extra fat you'll be burning on account of the added lean mass.) Third, you'll gain strength and power through innervation by training your CNS. Fourth, heavy compound movements like squats and deadlifts, have a very postive endocrinal response, which makes you more anabolic. The small muscle groups like biceps and triceps are engaged during the compund lifts, and they WILL grow. I remember the day my trainer told me, "You want bigger biceps? Do some heavy squats."
(I've simplified the above, obv.)

As for Men's Health type workouts, even they periodically recommend large compund movements. What smiley is refering to is crap like "And now... and all new super-move that will give you EXXXXPLOSIVE tricep definition... we call it the Dancing Frog"

Also, ego, I understand your position. I remember when I used to do the stupid (back/bicep) (chest/tricep) (shoulder/legs) split, where "legs" were leg extentions and hamstring curls, and everyone else used to do stuff like that.

cbloom
04-04-2007, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Fourth, heavy compound movements like squats and deadlifts, have a very postive endocrinal response, which makes you more anabolic.

[/ QUOTE ]

This can't be underestimated. Long ago when I was in shape this totally blew me away. I used to squat big, and you can feel it in your whole body, the body just kicks into this muscle-building mode and all of a sudden you start popping biceps and abs and all this [censored] you're hardly working just because you're squatting and it puts you in anabolic mode. You can sit on your ass and watch TV and burn 4000 calories in a day in that mode (or that's how it feels anyway).

egocidal
04-04-2007, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What smiley is refering to is crap like "And now... and all new super-move that will give you EXXXXPLOSIVE tricep definition... we call it the Dancing Frog"

[/ QUOTE ]

funny beyond words. dammit i just smoked again, this is terrible. But I havent had anything to eat since the grilled chicken breast for dinner (i need to learn some variations of good cheap versions of that). Ill try to stay strong.

kyleb
04-04-2007, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I remember the day my trainer told me, "You want bigger biceps? Do some heavy squats."

Also, ego, I understand your position. I remember when I used to do the stupid (back/bicep) (chest/tricep) (shoulder/legs) split, where "legs" were leg extentions and hamstring curls, and everyone else used to do stuff like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this sounds like my HS baseball workout routine (leg extensions, etc). When I got to college, my coach saw me circuit training and was like "What the [censored] is this? Get in the power rack immediately."

College baseball was squats, deadlifts, push-ups, CrossFit, and skill-related training. That's it. No other work except for arm care for the pitchers.

Colt McCoy
04-04-2007, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, I've never had a trainer or anything, and I've always just done what everyone else was doing at the gym.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because 95% of those in the gym have no clue what they are doing. Men's Health style weight training is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

This includes most "personal trainers" who usually take the job because they can hang out in the gym all day and hit on spandex-clad housewives. Their training usually consists of having read every issue of Muscle & Fitness for the last five years and taking some correspondence course that lets them put silly letters after their name.

mattnxtc
04-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Of the 4-6 trainers at the Golds Gym I go to...theres probably 1 I would consider going to as he actually seems to know what hes doing. The others are just awful and I just want to pull their clients aside and let them know what a waste of time and money the training is

Alobar
04-04-2007, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I gained 3 lbs yesterday. I weighed 215 and today I've weighed myself at three different times and I am now 218. So I took that rage to the gym,

[/ QUOTE ]

You really shouldn't weigh yourself everyday for this reason, because your body weight fluctuates so much that it can get discouraging if you are weighing yourself everyday.

I weigh myself everyday in the morning after I piss just for [censored] and giggles, Im not trying to lose weight or on a diet or anything, and my weight will be anywhere from 178 to 182, depending on who knows what. So don't get upset or stress about what the number is

anyway, good thread and keep up the good work!

mattnxtc
04-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I weighed myself after a complete drunk fest this weekend with jack and (diet dr. thunder haha) and I actually had lost like 5 lbs...thought that was pretty humorous. But yeah i had to get on my g/f for weighing herself everyday b/c she got super discouraged

dethgrind
04-04-2007, 04:11 PM
I like the idea of weighing yourself every day and taking a weekly average. Then track that average over time.

egocidal
04-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Last wednesday and friday I did the Rippetoe workout, A on wednesday and B on friday. I used lower weights at the beginning for fear that my squat and deadlift forms weren't correct. I hope to move up quickly though. I didnt get to do much exercise over the weekend, instead I went to a couple of parties and a renaissanced fair with some friends sunday. The fair was great btw, I highly reccomend getting hammered on mead with your buds and making fun of funnily dressed people and staring at the obscene amount of cleavage. Though you have to give them an A for effort. I got a huge turkey leg there, as well as some sort of sausage sandwich. Delicious, but not great for me. I don't feel bad about letting a litte loose on the weekends. I had taco bell saturday night when I was drunk, and was reminded of how bad it is for your stomach when I had the worst craps of my life sunday in the morning. I can't believe I used to eat that stuff all the time. Breakfast today was two bowls of total, lunch was a footlong chicken sandwich on wheat with oil/vinager/lettuce, and water. Ill try to hit the gym tonight, but I have a ton of work to do before then. It will be workout A again. Weight and numbers from last week to come when I get back to my apartment.

egocidal
04-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Missed workout last night because I found out there was a school wide poker tourney with a couple of "pros" in attendence. I played and busted early, but had lots of hw so gym was a no go. I went today and went back to workout A:

Warm up: 10 minutes elliptical
Squat: (5 reps each) 135, 185, 205
Bench Press (done with dumbells): 5/60, 5/70, 5/80
Deadlift: 135, 185, 205.

I think I can do more for the beginning squat/deadlift reps, 135 is a litte light. But I start to lose my form IMO when I hit the late 205 reps, so thats where I am staying.

9:10-Breakfast: bagel with serving of low fat cream cheese, two strips of bacon.
2:30-Lunch: dark lettuce salad w/ a bit of tuna, low fat ranch, and peppers. Also a cup of tortilla soup. Probably couldve gone without that.

Dinner is to come, but I have rugby practice in 20 minutes. Lots of running to be done, first game of playoffs is USC on saturday. Weight is 216.

egocidal
04-10-2007, 06:02 PM
btw, did i misinterpret something on the program? Am I supposed to do 3 sets of 5 reps each? or am I retarted? Cause it doesnt seem like a lot of reps to me.

theblackkeys
04-10-2007, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
btw, did i misinterpret something on the program? Am I supposed to do 3 sets of 5 reps each? or am I retarted? Cause it doesnt seem like a lot of reps to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if you're doing the Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength workout or not, if you are:
Workout A:
squat 3x5
bench press 3x5
deadlift 1x5

Workout B:
Squat 3x5
military press 3x5
rows/power cleans 3x5

Warmup sets don't count, and work sets should all be the same weight. Sure, it's not a lot of reps, but the weights are a little closer to your 1 rep max. Also, you don't need to kill your muscles to make progress. You will be adding weight to the bar each workout for quite a while.

egocidal
04-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Ah, so weights are ~1 rep max. ok. yes its the rippetoe.

theblackkeys
04-11-2007, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ah, so weights are ~1 rep max. ok. yes its the rippetoe.

[/ QUOTE ]
well, closer than if you were doing more volume. There's no need to find your 1 rep max on this program though. You'll experience enough progress that it will be meaningless in no time.

Also, in case you missed it, deadlifts are ONE set of FIVE. I think he's tried this program on enough clients that he's found what a good level of volume is as far as deadlifts go. I've also heard that it's real easy to overdo it and make yourself bedridden for a day.

egocidal
04-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Today was squat, standing military press, and pendleton (?) rows.

-all are 3x5-

squat: 205, 225, 225
military press: 135, 135, 135 (doing it standing with a bench press bar is so hard to keep form)
rows: 135, 135, 135 (form again)
dips (2x15)
bike (10 min)

Rugby practice before that, I hope I didn't screw myself for saturday and get my legs too sore. What should I be eating if I have two rugby games two days in a row (sat/sun)? Pastas only? Gatorade? WTF?

egocidal
05-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Been a while since I updated, no regular access to a computer and end of the school year (finals, moving out) were not conducive to updated posts. I am at 213 now, and have been doing the rippetoe for workouts. I haven't had access to a gym for a couple of weeks though due to school being over and me staying with my grandmother for a while until I go home. I've just been eating less, running a lot, and doing situps and pushups. Thorough update next week when I get home and hit the gym and can post pics.