PDA

View Full Version : Steam Rooms / Saunas

so sick bro
03-15-2007, 06:15 PM
I love taking a nice steam after I work out. Been heading to the gym around 3-5 times a week and steaming for like 20-30 mins after a workout really relaxes me after. My only concern is, I'm trying to bulk up right now. Is steaming after every workout a detriment to trying to get bigger because of the calories you sweat out? Is steaming good for you?

nation
03-15-2007, 06:16 PM
you're just steaming out water weight dude.

Doug Funnie II
03-16-2007, 01:34 AM
you don't sweat out any calories. the only negative i see is that steaming immediately after a workout delays the time between workout and protein shake. you want to drink your protein shake as close to the end of your workout as possible.

dms
03-16-2007, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you don't sweat out any calories. the only negative i see is that steaming immediately after a workout delays the time between workout and protein shake. you want to drink your protein shake as close to the end of your workout as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think this as well, but recently a few people have told me that it's better to have your shake/food before your workout...anyone know anything about this?

so sick bro
03-16-2007, 02:36 AM
actually not a problem i bring muscle milk with me to just mix up after im done

retep
03-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Steaming is excellent for muscle building. What I have been told is that by steaming you are sweating out the acid buildup in your muscles (don't know what it is called, but it is the acid that makes you burn while you are performing reps).

Just make sure to keep it to 20min or less.

skunkworks
03-16-2007, 08:26 PM
retep,

That is [censored] 1000% false. Lactic acid is built up in the muscle from strenuous exercise but it is broken down and metabolized within a minute.

bigalt
03-16-2007, 08:47 PM
not to mention the fact that it would cause immense pain if you somehow managed to sweat it out of your skin

retep
03-16-2007, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
retep,

That is [censored] 1000% false. Lactic acid is built up in the muscle from strenuous exercise but it is broken down and metabolized within a minute.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are incorrect.

Linky (http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:kz7MVxgLXioJ:www.oxygenhealingthera pies.com/intro_steam_sauna.html+lactic+acid+and+steam+rooms &hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us&client=firefox-a)

skunkworks
03-16-2007, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Newest research shows steam hyperthermia an effective treatment for:
* Detoxification programs
* Immune system deficiencies
* Pain management
* Cancer
* Arthritis
* Stress and muscle tension
* Increasing body metabolism
* Elimination of toxins
* Blood circulation

[/ QUOTE ]
Umm... I'll be nice about this, but I think your source is not only biased but also very disreputable and totally wrong.

I think this site goes into a little more about it (http://cytosport.com/science/lacticacid.html).

retep
03-16-2007, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Newest research shows steam hyperthermia an effective treatment for:
* Detoxification programs
* Immune system deficiencies
* Pain management
* Cancer
* Arthritis
* Stress and muscle tension
* Increasing body metabolism
* Elimination of toxins
* Blood circulation

[/ QUOTE ]
Umm... I'll be nice about this, but I think your source is not only biased but also very disreputable and totally wrong.

I think this site goes into a little more about it (http://cytosport.com/science/lacticacid.html).

[/ QUOTE ]

That was very interesting. I also enjoyed reading why muscle milk is so good for me during a work out.

What I said in my OR was that I had heard it was good for you in relieving the buildup of lactic acid. I never claimed to be an authority on the subject like you have.

You then said that I was 1000% false. How are you so sure?

All I did was use Google and i posted the first of many links refuting your claim that I am 1000% false.

-sk00lb0y-
03-16-2007, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
retep,

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that true that it is metabolized within a minute? So is DOMS from only micro fiber muscle tears?

Edit: jsut saw your link.. still want answer though.

skunkworks
03-16-2007, 10:40 PM
sk00lboy, DOMS is most definitely not caused by lactic acid buildup. Most if not all experts agree that the cause of DOMS is microtrauma to the muscles.

-sk00lb0y-
03-16-2007, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sk00lboy, DOMS is most definitely not caused by lactic acid buildup. Most if not all experts agree that the cause of DOMS is microtrauma to the muscles.

[/ QUOTE ]

But i was asking about it being metabolized in a minte.

skunkworks
03-16-2007, 11:38 PM
If you want to be really nitty, what I really meant by lactic acid being "broken down and metabolized within a minute" is that the burning sensation caused by glycolytic exercise disappears rapidly.

You can read more than you'd ever wanted to know about lactic acid and its metabolism here (http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/lactic.htm).