PDA

View Full Version : Gym - Weight Loss Only - Suggestions?

PatInTheHat
03-15-2007, 05:28 AM
I go to the gym soley to loose weight at this point. I'm not interested in building muscle just strictly weightloss. I used to weight almost 260 pounds at my worst 3-4 years ago and for the last 1-2 years i've hovered between 185-200.

I've been doing a pretty standard routine of 30 minutes cardio and a variety of different weights that I mix up between days and then I finish off with another 15 cardio.

Basically im wondering if im wasting my time doing weights instead of more cardio or is there something in specific I should be doing for the purpose of stricly weight loss.

Another note my diet is not too great and i've never been too interested in changing it much. If I stop going to the gym i tend to gradually gain some weight but once I get back to the gym I end up in my same 185-200 zone. I am however alright with hearing weight loss supplements (pills etc).

mattnxtc
03-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Dont rely on pills to solve a simple problem...Your diet is as important as any workout you do. If you are serious about weight loss you must look for ways to improve yoru diet and you will lose weight immediately.

It doesnt sound like ur actually that motivated to lose weight/get in shape...and until you really make the commitment you wont stick to anything all that long

slickpoppa
03-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Building muscle will help you lose weight. A really jacked bodybuilder will burn more calories just breathing than you do running because muscles burn a lot of calories.

Klompy
03-15-2007, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Building muscle will help you lose weight. A really jacked bodybuilder will burn more calories just breathing than you do running because muscles burn a lot of calories.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is true, it's not really the reason why lifting weights is good for losing weight. You don't gain muscle and lose weight at the same time for the most part.

Weight training burns calories and raises your metabolism for a long time after the actual training which aids in weight loss while maintaining current muscle.

Doug Funnie II
03-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Just get your diet really dialed in and quit the cardio. A good lifting regime will effectively burn significantly more calories than cardio. If you do 45 minutes of pretty intense cardio you're burning maybe 700 calories per workout. Switch that to a tough leg workout (full squats and dead lifts) or an upper body workout (bench, pullups, military press) and you burn close to that in the time you spend in the gym, then hundreds more rebuilding the muscle as you sleep.

You say you're not interested in building mass, I wouldn't worry about it. If you aren't eating a ton of food then you won't get big. One of the biggest misconceptions about exercise is that cardio gets you cut and weights get you big. While they may have some of that effect, diet matters several times more than what type of exercise you're doing. In actuality if you're eating 3500 calories a day you get big, but if you're eating 1700 you get cut.

Thremp
03-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Doug,

Please tell me what cardio you're doing to burn ~900+ cals an hour. Swimming in the artic?

Klompy,

I don't understand your comments. While they are true, I don't get the connection or did you even mean for them to be connected?

PatInTheHat,

There's really no hope. Sorry.

PatInTheHat
03-16-2007, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just get your diet really dialed in and quit the cardio. A good lifting regime will effectively burn significantly more calories than cardio. If you do 45 minutes of pretty intense cardio you're burning maybe 700 calories per workout. Switch that to a tough leg workout (full squats and dead lifts) or an upper body workout (bench, pullups, military press) and you burn close to that in the time you spend in the gym, then hundreds more rebuilding the muscle as you sleep.

You say you're not interested in building mass, I wouldn't worry about it. If you aren't eating a ton of food then you won't get big. One of the biggest misconceptions about exercise is that cardio gets you cut and weights get you big. While they may have some of that effect, diet matters several times more than what type of exercise you're doing. In actuality if you're eating 3500 calories a day you get big, but if you're eating 1700 you get cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for this post, I also maintained this misconception.

PatInTheHat
03-16-2007, 04:44 AM
So the concensus is that changing my diet will be far more beneficial then anything I could be doing at the gym?

I know there are tons of threads on this but would anyone mind linking me to some info on getting myself into a better diet?

Thremp
03-16-2007, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know there are tons of threads on this but would anyone mind linking me to some info on getting myself into a better diet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Start with just writing down everything you eat for three days with a vague amount. Then post it.

PatInTheHat
03-16-2007, 05:06 AM
I can tell you what I had today:

Breakfast:
1 Bagel, 1 egg 1 slice cheese

lunch:
4 Mozza sticks
3 low fat chicken strips

dinner:
1 grilled chicken breast
risoto (rice cheese etc) (2 cups?)
asparagus
baby tomatos

snacks:
1 can fruit cocktail
crispers (2 servings)

zacd
03-16-2007, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you what I had today:

Breakfast:
1 Bagel, 1 egg 1 slice cheese

lunch:
4 Mozza sticks
3 low fat chicken strips

dinner:
1 grilled chicken breast
risoto (rice cheese etc) (2 cups?)
asparagus
baby tomatos

snacks:
1 can fruit cocktail
crispers (2 servings)

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to eat more meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism going. try to to add small snacks between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. also depending on when you workout, that should dictate what type of carbs you are eating and when.

overall your diet doesnt look that bad you just need to eat more.

PatInTheHat
03-17-2007, 06:02 AM
What eat more? I thought the idea was to eat less /images/graemlins/wink.gif

govman6767
03-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Ephedra was the best thing for dieters since sliced bread.

I weighed 260 lbs and began taking ephedra. Since it's a stimulant I began to have more energy which got me off the couch. It helped you get pumped up for a workout and got you through the workday much better than 2 pots of coffee.

Then the FDA banned ephedra because a few people who weighed 560 lbs with a blood pressure of 270-160 died from taking ephedra.

Even a moron knows taking a stimulant with high blood pressure is dangerous but not these guys.

Hence uncle sam banned the best supplement to weightloss ever created.

1) Appetite was cut by at least 3/4ths using Ephedra
2) Energy boost was extreme allowing more lifting running working etc.
3) Jitters wear off after 2 weeks but energy boosts still there.
4) Does not interfere with my sleep cycle. Actually it helped me sleep better cause I was wiped from working out.

Now they have green tea and caffinee pills with orange peel extract that does squat it's junk and does not help the way ephedra did.

Metabo-FX is close as far as energy boost goes but it does not control you appetite the way ephedra did.

Chitosan is ok as far as blocking some fats from being absorbed from your meals but I dont' think it has anything to do with real weight control.

Edge34
03-17-2007, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I weighed 260 lbs and began taking ephedra. Since it's a stimulant I began to have more energy which got me off the couch. It helped you get pumped up for a workout and got you through the workday much better than 2 pots of coffee.

Then the FDA banned ephedra because a few people who weighed 560 lbs with a blood pressure of 270-160 died from taking ephedra.

Even a moron knows taking a stimulant with high blood pressure is dangerous but not these guys.

Hence uncle sam banned the best supplement to weightloss ever created.

1) Appetite was cut by at least 3/4ths using Ephedra
2) Energy boost was extreme allowing more lifting running working etc.
3) Jitters wear off after 2 weeks but energy boosts still there.
4) Does not interfere with my sleep cycle. Actually it helped me sleep better cause I was wiped from working out.

Now they have green tea and caffinee pills with orange peel extract that does squat it's junk and does not help the way ephedra did.

Metabo-FX is close as far as energy boost goes but it does not control you appetite the way ephedra did.

Chitosan is ok as far as blocking some fats from being absorbed from your meals but I dont' think it has anything to do with real weight control.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Steve Bechler (23 years old, pitcher for Baltimore) And Korey Stringer (27 years old, Offensive Line, Minnesota Vikings) were morons who weighed 560 pounds and had insane blood pressures? And I'm sure Metabolife's 15000+ ephedra-adverse event reports were all morons too, right?

You might have some good points, but you make yourself sound like a complete retard with statements like you made about ephedra. Nobody needs ephedra to get cut and especially not just to get in shape. Risks FAR outweigh the minor gains.

Unless you're into anabolics and diuretics and all that crap, you should focus more on what you can legally and safely do, lest this forum have some VERY dangerous advice given in it.

nation
03-17-2007, 02:01 PM
they also were dehydrated athletes doing intense workouts in intense heat. not that i'm an ephedra fan or anything, but those guys seem like they were in bad spots to be taking it.

Edge34
03-17-2007, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they also were dehydrated athletes doing intense workouts in intense heat. not that i'm an ephedra fan or anything, but those guys seem like they were in bad spots to be taking it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, I was really just going against the completely inaccurate statement of govman. Its not that these guys were out of shape, its that ephedra is not a particularly good substance in a human body. Like I said, those weren't the only two people who had issues, and not everyone was a 560-pound moron. There's plenty of safer ways to lose weight, and that's what my point was.

I mean, this whole place could be a lot easier if we had a bunch of people spouting off about anabolics and acting like the only people who got shrunken testicles and backne and became sterile were idiots, but I don't think that would be a safe way to do things either. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thremp
03-18-2007, 06:24 AM
Edge,

You're a troll clown. They were out of shape and tried to use a supplement (likely improperly) to mask their lack of effort.

BTW the only people who do have permanent problems from roids are idiots.

Edge34
03-19-2007, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Edge,

You're a troll clown. They were out of shape and tried to use a supplement (likely improperly) to mask their lack of effort.

BTW the only people who do have permanent problems from roids are idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you know that they were out of shape when they died. And all the 15000+ people I mentioned that had issues with ephedra in metabolife were out of shape too. Of course, its NEVER the fact that people might be using less-than-safe supplements.

And call me a troll all you want, my years of posting say otherwise. You're the first guy who's ever called me that, and you're still wrong.

Show me any proof at all that the two professional athletes I mentioned were "out of shape" or that "the only people who do have permanent problems from roids are idiots" and then MAYBE I'll listen to you. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if your post was just a result of roid rage.

Talk about your uncalled for personal attacks. Did you even read my first post in this thread, or did you just see that I disagreed with the use of ephedra and steroids and decide to blow up?

Thremp
03-19-2007, 03:53 AM
Edge,

No, I read all your posts. You don't seem to have any knowledge of what you're talking about and spreading blatant misinformation because you are either 1) a fool 2) unknowing. I personally believe both of these are in play.

I find it humorous you try to talk about my personal attacks immediately after you make a personal attack on me.

Edge34
03-19-2007, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Edge,

No, I read all your posts. You don't seem to have any knowledge of what you're talking about and spreading blatant misinformation because you are either 1) a fool 2) unknowing. I personally believe both of these are in play.

I find it humorous you try to talk about my personal attacks immediately after you make a personal attack on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me where I'm spreading blatant misinformation. I asked for proof and you brought nothing but ANOTHER uncalled for personal attack. You're not helping your case much here, son.

I asked you to show me ANY proof whatsoever that those two pro athletes were out of shape (and your genius opinion doesn't quiiiiite do it), or that those 15000+ people on metabolife were all out of shape, or ANYTHING that says what I've said was "blatant misinformation". You talked the talk, you're gonna need to do more than call me a troll to walk the walk. I've been around long enough to know that I'm not a "troll clown", so you're gonna have to do better than that.

cbloom
03-19-2007, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I saw it was going off the market I bought up a couple of bottles. I don't actually use it for dieting because I don't like the speedy feeling (and I'm plenty thin already). I do take it when I want a sports performance boost and don't feel like downing a bunch of coffee. I used to pop one pill before rugby games. You do have to be careful to hydrate or you actually lose performance. For example, I don't take it before biking because I can't drink enough water & get enough food and I will bonk from dehydration after an hour or so.

Colt McCoy
03-19-2007, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's especially awesome combined with aspirin & caffeine. I've never heard of any documented case where anyone was hurt using it correctly. Every death or illness I've ever read about that's associated with ephedra has been a case where someone either took much more than they were supposed to or let themselves get dehydrated or both. This was a typical government reaction. A few people were too stupid to read warning labels and directions so they criminalize those who use it safely.

govman6767
03-19-2007, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's especially awesome combined with aspirin & caffeine. I've never heard of any documented case where anyone was hurt using it correctly. Every death or illness I've ever read about that's associated with ephedra has been a case where someone either took much more than they were supposed to or let themselves get dehydrated or both. This was a typical government reaction. A few people were too stupid to read warning labels and directions so they criminalize those who use it safely.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main and only fact that should be considered is that Ephedra was a stimulant. If your a pro athlete who's working out like an animal or your a couch potato with HIGH blood pressure you should not have been taking it. It was on the label. End of story.

As far as taking it for an energy boost the jitters go away after a few weeks but you still don't want to overdo it.

By far the biggest advantage of ephedra was as an app. suppressant.

govman6767
03-19-2007, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Edge,

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me where I'm spreading blatant misinformation. I asked for proof and you brought nothing but ANOTHER uncalled for personal attack. You're not helping your case much here, son.

I asked you to show me ANY proof whatsoever that those two pro athletes were out of shape (and your genius opinion doesn't quiiiiite do it), or that those 15000+ people on metabolife were all out of shape, or ANYTHING that says what I've said was "blatant misinformation". You talked the talk, you're gonna need to do more than call me a troll to walk the walk. I've been around long enough to know that I'm not a "troll clown", so you're gonna have to do better than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think your a troll at all just wrong.

I don't have enough time in a day to name EVERY SINGLE PRODUCT that is out on the market today that's LEGAL and killing people EVERY DAY not once a week or month.... A DAY.

And you know what it's still legal.

Those athletes were in supreme shape and died because of the super aggressive training habits they had.

Normal people don't train like that.

Ephedra is banned because a few rich people died and the FDA had nothing better to do. (Like approve some life saving cancer drugs or something)

More people die in a day from smoking than ephedra EVER killed.
How many people die from alcohol compared to EPHEDRA.. Gimmie a break dude your argument sucks.

IMO only your just another one of those people who think your doing the world a service by saving our lives from the evils of Ephedra.

Just for my own edification are you also in favor of bans on smoking drinking and gambling.... If not why ephedra ??

Thremp
03-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Edge,

I'm clearly getting levelled. Enjoy your stay.

govman,

Tylenol and advil kill many more people.

Edge34
03-19-2007, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Edge,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have enough time in a day to name EVERY SINGLE PRODUCT that is out on the market today that's LEGAL and killing people EVERY DAY not once a week or month.... A DAY.

Those athletes were in supreme shape and died because of the super aggressive training habits they had.

Ephedra is banned because a few rich people died and the FDA had nothing better to do. (Like approve some life saving cancer drugs or something)

How many people die from alcohol compared to EPHEDRA.. Gimmie a break dude your argument sucks.

IMO only your just another one of those people who think your doing the world a service by saving our lives from the evils of Ephedra.

Just for my own edification are you also in favor of bans on smoking drinking and gambling.... If not why ephedra ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Govman,

As I originally believed, you still seem to know what you're talking about. Let me first say thank you for actually speaking to me as the adults we are, unlike other posters.

OK, with that out of the way, my initial post may have been misinterpreted, which is entirely my fault. I am not for or against an ephedra ban, per se. What I originally intended to get across as my point is that the suggestion of a banned substance is both pointless (since you can't get it anymore on the legal market) and potentially harmful (since not one of us here knows what people's lifestyles, training habits, diets, etc. are).

I don't smoke, and I'm not for or against a smoking ban either. But everybody KNOWS that smoking shortens your life. Nobody is saying smoking is a good thing. I just wanted to make sure that advice given around here at least has the right disclaimers. I came off harsh, originally, but that was just a knee-jerk reaction to thinking that you were putting all the "negative image" of ephedra on people who were totally out of shape when in reality it was finely trained athletes who gave it the publicity.

I don't claim to know everything about the human body, but I think we've both got very valid points and that's all I want. I don't think we're any worse off without ephedra, and that's the main point of my argument in this thread.

PatInTheHat
03-20-2007, 02:47 AM
Way to hijack my thread guys :P

govman6767
03-20-2007, 04:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Edge,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Govman,

As I originally believed, you still seem to know what you're talking about. Let me first say thank you for actually speaking to me as the adults we are, unlike other posters.

OK, with that out of the way, my initial post may have been misinterpreted, which is entirely my fault. I am not for or against an ephedra ban, per se. What I originally intended to get across as my point is that the suggestion of a banned substance is both pointless (since you can't get it anymore on the legal market) and potentially harmful (since not one of us here knows what people's lifestyles, training habits, diets, etc. are).

I don't smoke, and I'm not for or against a smoking ban either. But everybody KNOWS that smoking shortens your life. Nobody is saying smoking is a good thing. I just wanted to make sure that advice given around here at least has the right disclaimers. I came off harsh, originally, but that was just a knee-jerk reaction to thinking that you were putting all the "negative image" of ephedra on people who were totally out of shape when in reality it was finely trained athletes who gave it the publicity.

I don't claim to know everything about the human body, but I think we've both got very valid points and that's all I want. I don't think we're any worse off without ephedra, and that's the main point of my argument in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said no arguments.

Ephedra is legal in other places and since posters here are not all from the U.S. they may look at ephedra as a dietary supplement.

kerowo
03-20-2007, 11:19 PM
700 cals in 45 minutes? It must be nice to do cardio that long at 85% of your max HR. If you can talk during that 45 minutes you'll be closer to 500 than 700. Get a heart rate monitor and see.

Jay.
03-22-2007, 10:43 PM
man 7 days ban was harsh for thremp, sure a ban, but he's constantly awesome in all these threads; like guids but worthwhile. 24 hours would be hot.

Jay.
03-22-2007, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thremp answered you. There is no hope. Here's why

[ QUOTE ]
Another note my diet is not too great and i've never been too interested in changing it much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! maybe if you care about losing weight you should care about the stuff your throwing in your mouth? Expend more energy than you take in. That simple!

PatInTheHat
03-23-2007, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thremp answered you. There is no hope. Here's why

[ QUOTE ]
Another note my diet is not too great and i've never been too interested in changing it much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! maybe if you care about losing weight you should care about the stuff your throwing in your mouth? Expend more energy than you take in. That simple!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do care about loosing weight and was hoping I could find a work out routine that would still allow me to eat what I like. However as this thread has pointed out this isn't very likely and as I mentioned before if anyone can point me in the right direction to get started with a better diet, please do.

Jay.
03-23-2007, 10:54 AM
right direction would the the astrogile thread in oot. search his name, OOT forum, 1 year, with "-re" as the text.

Edge34
03-23-2007, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
man 7 days ban was harsh for thremp, sure a ban, but he's constantly awesome in all these threads; like guids but worthwhile. 24 hours would be hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was Thremp banned for? He was being a tool, but I didn't see anything suspension-worthy. Certainly not week-worthy.