PDA

View Full Version : Rehydrating without empty calories

DirtyDiggs
03-15-2007, 02:44 AM
Hey,

I do a good bit of cardio and have always been a person that sweats more than 90% of the population. As a result I get sore from alot of exercises beyond just lifting. I'm guessing that it has a lot to do with dehydration.

Gatorade seems to be an improvement over plain water,(i guess from electrolytes) but I'm trying to find a better alternative for two main reasons.

1.) I'm a person who has needs to watch what they eat. I know that alot of people bitch about having a slow metabolism, but I can say with confidence that if most people my age put the same level of exercise and diet, they would look better. I've accepted that I just have to not whine and work harder than the average person. I'd like to aviod empty calories because of this, and Gatorade kind of feels this way.

2.) While I'm not full blown diabetic, my body is pretty bad at regulating blood sugar. I get checked by the doctor each year to make sure the situation hasn't gotten worse. My blood sugar can test all over the map. I read multiple places that simple sugar is best for replenishing glycogen immeidately post workout, but for me this can throw me to a few hours later having massive food cravings or a total crash of energy. This would not happen simply from a Gatorade, but could easily be compounded.

Thanks for any advice you guys have to offer.

Ponies
03-15-2007, 03:08 AM
Drink water

Hendricks433
03-15-2007, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Drink water

[/ QUOTE ]

mattnxtc
03-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Try pedealyte (sp?). It will get the electrolytes back in you

DirtyDiggs
03-15-2007, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Drink water

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG I never thought about that. So will there be stars in this forum like in OOT?

I guess where I was asking if there was any way to improve over water escaped you?

slickpoppa
03-15-2007, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey,

I do a good bit of cardio and have always been a person that sweats more than 90% of the population. As a result I get sore from alot of exercises beyond just lifting. I'm guessing that it has a lot to do with dehydration.

Gatorade seems to be an improvement over plain water,(i guess from electrolytes) but I'm trying to find a better alternative for two main reasons.

1.) I'm a person who has needs to watch what they eat. I know that alot of people bitch about having a slow metabolism, but I can say with confidence that if most people my age put the same level of exercise and diet, they would look better. I've accepted that I just have to not whine and work harder than the average person. I'd like to aviod empty calories because of this, and Gatorade kind of feels this way.

2.) While I'm not full blown diabetic, my body is pretty bad at regulating blood sugar. I get checked by the doctor each year to make sure the situation hasn't gotten worse. My blood sugar can test all over the map. I read multiple places that simple sugar is best for replenishing glycogen immeidately post workout, but for me this can throw me to a few hours later having massive food cravings or a total crash of energy. This would not happen simply from a Gatorade, but could easily be compounded.

Thanks for any advice you guys have to offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you are pretty damn close to having full blown diabetes. You should probably ask a endocrinologist the questions you asked in your post.

durron597
03-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Vitamin water

Macdaddy Warsaw
03-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Um...simplest solution is to just cut the gatorade with water. 50/50 or 25% gatorade, 75% water.

Doug Funnie II
03-15-2007, 02:39 PM
I haven't tried these as I don't do any cardio so I can't recommend them, but they look like something that may help you.

http://www.lytengo.com/product_info.php?...CFQGPWAodeiWxqA (http://www.lytengo.com/product_info.php?&products_id=4?source=google?camp aign=lyte-n-go-new&gclid=CP_8xee294oCFQGPWAodeiWxqA)

DirtyDiggs
03-15-2007, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't tried these as I don't do any cardio so I can't recommend them, but they look like something that may help you.

http://www.lytengo.com/product_info.php?...CFQGPWAodeiWxqA (http://www.lytengo.com/product_info.php?&products_id=4?source=google?camp aign=lyte-n-go-new&gclid=CP_8xee294oCFQGPWAodeiWxqA)

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks near perfect. Thanks, I'll have to give them a try.