PDA

View Full Version : Random Weight Loss Trick #1

Sofisdad
03-14-2007, 05:02 PM
I love that The Gym is now around on 2p2. I lost 115 lbs during my first year of college (285 - 170) and started bodybuilding religiously after I learned what a calorie finally was at 18 years old. I read everything I can find and I can't wait to try and help out everyone that may be struggling to take a few pounds off or start lifting. I've got a bunch of different little weight loss tricks that I've picked up over the years.

1. Ice Water

Your body's 98.6 degree temperature is so crucial. You gotta ship it some ice water. When you put 0 degree C water in your body, your body has to turn it into ~37 degree C in order to use it for bodily functions. The energy your body uses to do so results in burnt calories just by putting it in your body. 1 - 8 ounce glass of ice water will burn 17.5 calories just by converting it. Sooo, if you fill up a 1 gallon bottle with ice water in the morning and keep it cold all day while you drink it then at the end of that gallon your body will have burnt 280 calories with no work on your part except for swallowing that cold azz water all day. If you watch the calories burnt meter on a stair stepper it generally takes about 20 minutes at a medium level to accomplish this burn rate of calories.

Hope this helps!

thirddan
03-14-2007, 05:07 PM
nice, sofisdad, do you mind if we add our own? making this a soft of tricks to help thread?

my trick...take a shot of vinegar before a heavy carb meal...this will increase insulin sensitivity and prevent the carbs from hanging around and turning into fat...if you google vinegar and weight loss you can find some studies (although there is not much hard evidence, its something i heard someone say so i googled it, so use at your own risk)...also, drink the shot slowly, if you shoot it like a normal shot you will burn the hell out of your throat...

kyleb
03-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Ice water is a very good trick. Thanks for sharing!

Sofisdad
03-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Hell no I don't mind! Rock this thread out as much as humanly possible. Knowledge should be shared.

I'm glad you listed the vinegar trick, I'd heard of it some years ago but never tried it. It makes sense!

kidcolin
03-14-2007, 05:11 PM
icewater.. wow for the past 6 years I've been a huge proponent of room temperature water. No real reason, that's just always how it was. I drink about 3-4 nalgene's worth of water a day, too. Thanks dude.

Sofisdad
03-14-2007, 06:24 PM
The ice water also helps quiet hunger pains. The locations in the brain that tell you thirst and hunger are extremely close together. If you feel extremely hungry, 75% of the time you just haven't drank enough. Water will also fill a lot of empty space in the stomach which will reduce how much food you can handle in one sitting if you've drank a glass or 2 before you start eating. Most overweight people will eat until they are 'full'. Water will take the place of the food you would otherwise need to feel full.

Sofisdad
03-14-2007, 06:29 PM
If someone is just going for weight loss and not muscle gain in the gym, it can be beneficial to stay away from exercises that force your body to produce large amounts of human growth hormone like squats and deadlifts. The larger the amount of weight you use during repitions, the more HGH the body produces to handle the weight and repair the body for future use of exercises like this. Some people when trying to increase their bench press will cut back on repetitions in dead lifts and squats and do a higher weight so the body will spread more HGH around. Dead lifting and squats will actually make the other muscles in the body larger over time because of the excess HGH high weights will force it to produce. Sooo, during a strict weight loss period, try to stay away from those activities and focus on higher reps with lower weight.

thirddan
03-14-2007, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If someone is just going for weight loss and not muscle gain in the gym, it can be beneficial to stay away from exercises that force your body to produce large amounts of human growth hormone like squats and deadlifts. The larger the amount of weight you use during repitions, the more HGH the body produces to handle the weight and repair the body for future use of exercises like this. Some people when trying to increase their bench press will cut back on repetitions in dead lifts and squats and do a higher weight so the body will spread more HGH around. Dead lifting and squats will actually make the other muscles in the body larger over time because of the excess HGH high weights will force it to produce. Sooo, during a strict weight loss period, try to stay away from those activities and focus on higher reps with lower weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, you are gonna get a lot of [censored] for this...

squat burns more cals than any other exercise at the gym /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dethgrind
03-14-2007, 06:33 PM
I only get half the number of calories, is my math off?

8 oz = 237 mL

237 mL * 37 degrees celsius / 1000 = 8.77 Calories

So only 140 calories for a full gallon of ice water. Not worth it for me since I prefer room temp water, but I guess every little bit helps.

-sk00lb0y-
03-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Saunas
diuretics
Rubber suits
Ephedrine HCL
Ex-lax
Fiber caps
standing on your head before you get on scale
whiping off body sweat

thirddan
03-14-2007, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Saunas
diuretics
Rubber suits
Ephedrine HCL
Ex-lax
Fiber caps
whiping off body sweat

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf...are you cutting weight for wrestling? these are all water weight reducers...

kyleb
03-14-2007, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Saunas
diuretics
Rubber suits
Ephedrine HCL
Ex-lax
Fiber caps
whiping off body sweat

[/ QUOTE ]

From top to bottom: Useless, useless, useless, good, useless, useless, useless, useless.

nation
03-14-2007, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Saunas
diuretics
Rubber suits
Ephedrine HCL
Ex-lax
Fiber caps
whiping off body sweat

[/ QUOTE ]

From top to bottom: Useless, useless, useless, good, useless, useless, useless, useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

nation
03-14-2007, 06:42 PM
sounds like a joke though

Sofisdad
03-14-2007, 06:46 PM
1 gallon = 128 fluid ounces
8 ounces burns 17.5 calories
16 - 8 ounce glasses in a gallon at 17.5 each = 280 calories
I guess it could be a little off but I just checked it again on my calculator.

On the squat issue, I definitely agree squats burn a lot of calories, no denying that. They are awesome exercises to do at lower weights and higher repetitions (10-25) and will help you burn those calories. I meant to stay away from doing like 3 sets of 5 at 315 or a number that you would do in an effort to build muscle mass. The higher the weight the more HGH you are producing and thats why I meant it is counterproductive while strictly trying to lose weight. I am thinking strictly in terms of weight loss and not in a getting lots stronger and building a lot of muscle mode. Thanks for bringing that up though, now I could see it would be confusing at face value.

-sk00lb0y-
03-14-2007, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

wtf...are you cutting weight for wrestling? these are all water weight reducers...

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Saunas
diuretics
Rubber suits
Ephedrine HCL
Ex-lax
Fiber caps
whiping off body sweat

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all water weight, but I was trying to make a point. I did wrestle in highschool and college and did most (read all) of this [censored]. Im just concerned with some of the advice being given out ie "don't do squats or deadlifts it will raise your HGH" Hgh is a very powerful hormone that will aide in body (re)composition. People need to throw out thier MFing scales. Unless you have have bf% done by a trained pro then your scale is useless. Use the mirror to track your progress weigh youself once a month if yu have to.

I also forgot some:

meth
coke
clenbuterol
t3
synthroid
DNP

thirddan
03-14-2007, 06:54 PM
i did a bunch of that stuff during high school as well...
i remember our varsity heavyweight used to wear a sweatsuit under this clothes during the day with ziplocs taped to his wrists, they would be full of sweat at the end of the day, its was disgusting...

as for the "dont do squat" guy, that goes against pretty much everything i have read on t-nation and bodybuilding.com...

dethgrind
03-15-2007, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
8 oz = 237 mL
237 mL * 37 degrees celsius / 1000 = 8.77 Calories

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
8 ounces burns 17.5 calories

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the math I was talking about, where did you get 17.5 from? Sorry, don't want to distract too much from the real discussion, but if we're talking only 140 calories a day for drinking a gallon of ice water (which is way more than I would normally drink), I maintain that it's not worth the effort.

tdarko
03-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Wow, I didn't know that about ice water, very cool. I also didn't realize people actually prefer room temp water, wtf? I can see it now, "man, I am beat after that 4 mile run, I know! I will have some warm water!" Just kiddin' =)

Anyway this is a cool thread idea. I don't have anything really to add b/c I am not very creative when it comes to weight loss, I just workout and try to eat well, oh and sleep enough which is over looked way too much.

skunkworks
03-15-2007, 09:37 PM
This link (http://health.howstuffworks.com/question447.htm) (among others found on google) verifies that this works, although other sources feel that it burns less than the OP listed.

kidcolin
03-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I think OPs #'s are "theoretical". i.e., your water isn't 0 degrees Celcius, and it warms up throughout the drinking process. I expect it to be a good amount less, but even if you're only burning 100-150 cals a day doing this, you're making room for that beer you have with dinner /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daryn
03-15-2007, 10:38 PM
the water thing is basically negligible

cbloom
03-15-2007, 11:24 PM
The best one I have is to eat a bowl of soup and a big salad before lunch/dinner. They're very low calorie and fill your stomach and taste good. Then you'll feel okay with eating much smaller meals.