PDA

View Full Version : AMP (Pre-workout stimulants)

los_toros
03-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Does anyone have stories regarding AMP (or equivalent products) in a workout setting? The main ingredient that has the most noticeable effect seems to be "Geranamine". In addition to caffeine and chocamine, AMP packs a pretty solid punch.

Any other stories related to similar products and their uses?

Link: http://ergopharm.net/products_amp.php

StaticShock
03-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Spike from Biotest is pretty sick. 300 mg caffeine in an 8 oz can, 0 calories. (Red bull is 80mg.) They recommend you start with half a can. Don't drink it if you plan on trying to fall asleep in the next six hours. It also comes in tablet form which I have not tried.

Doug Funnie II
03-14-2007, 12:29 PM
I've tried the tab, its good. My only problem with caffeine is that its a vaso-dialator so it lessens the positive effects of NO supplements which I take liberally.

sfcard
03-14-2007, 12:37 PM
What's the deal with the label just listing the total mg in the blend, as opposed to breaking it down into the component parts?
In my opinion, the old ephedrine/caffeine stacks are the best pre-workout stimulants. Unfortunately, if you live in the U.S., the days of easy access are long since gone. If you can't or don't want to take ephedrine, I think the next best thing is just straight caffeine pills. One great thing about caffeine pills is that they're very cheap. From my first hand experience and what I've heard, the non-ephedrine blends are just a way for the supplement companies to charge gross amounts to money for what is basically a caffeine pill with some dirt and tree bark mixed in (obvious oversimplification, but you get the idea). Anybody disagree/use a product they think is worth the extra expense? Please don't say NO-Xplode.

sfcard
03-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Doug,

You hadn't posted yet when I wrote my post up, so that comment about NO products was not intended as a rip on you. Still, I stand by it.

mattnxtc
03-14-2007, 12:55 PM
sfcard...what are ur complaints with NO-Xplode?

sfcard
03-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Matt,

Here are a couple of good treatments of the issue.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-018-feature
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1287885

The first is a somewhat lengthy article. There is a good summary at the end. What it boils to is that we cannot take in arginine in quantities large enough to realize the potential benefits. The second is a forum discussion of the same topic. Basically, the scientific evidence is just not there. I don't want to dwell on the better "pumps" part of the argument because I know someone will claim I'm an idiot and they've experienced this phenomenon. Either way, that has nothing to do with the quality of the workout or building muscle. I would be amazed if someone can point to support of NO products by a reputable, neutral source.
That being said, I think the placebo effect of a product like this is sometimes wrongly chided by serious lifters. For more casual lifters, if it gets them in the gym and makes them think about what they're doing, then great. However, in my opinion this is the only benefit of these products and is a very expensive means of achieving that end. Like I said before, I'm not trying to offend anyone.

mattnxtc
03-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Sounds good...I agree that for ephedra type scenerios...NO Xplode shouldnt really be an option.