PDA

View Full Version : The Food Thread

Doug Funnie II
03-14-2007, 09:41 AM
I think it would be cool if we could get a thread going of all the healthy foods you guys subsist on, preferably with brand names to avoid confusion. I'll start:

1. Essensia brand creamy all natural peanut butter
2. Lactaid lowfat cottage cheese
3. Barilla whole grain pasta
4. Smuckers sugar free preserves
5. Optimum Nutrition Whey protein (chocolate mint)
6. Essensia brand pasta sauce (portabello mushroom and primavera)
7. Olive Oil - I don't think brand matters.
8. Whole grain bread - whatever's on sale.

I'd say >90% of my daily calories comes from these foods. I'm pretty satisfied with how much all of these cost and how their taste is as well as their nutrition info but there could easily be something better that I don't know about so share any good foods you know of.

Green Kool Aid
03-14-2007, 11:28 AM
doug,

do you not eat eggs anymore??

IIRC that used to be a staple of your diet.

AZK
03-14-2007, 12:02 PM
1) Sub peanut butter for almond butter, tastes better imo and is healthier

I don't really eat any of the other stuff so I can't really help you there, except the olive oil, yeah, I don't think it matters that much either.

Doug Funnie II
03-14-2007, 12:23 PM
green,

I'm too lazy to make eggs anymore. I should get somebody to pick me up a dozen or so hardboiled from the dining hall though.

AZK
03-14-2007, 01:29 PM
I boil 1-2dozen a once a week and then just eat throughout. It takes 30 minutes from start to finish to prepare and then I have them for an entire week. If you are too lazy to do this, how are you not too lazy to work out/eat right?

einbert
03-14-2007, 01:41 PM
I am trying to bulk up, and I'm also trying to simplify my diet in order to clean it up and maximize its efficiency.
I'm drinking Weight Gainer 2200 Gold mixed with vitamin D milk. My question is, could I eat only this for a few weeks and expect good results/expect not to get sick? I'm also taking Centrum Performance multivitamin everyday.
Also, could I double up on the multivitamin? I really don't know what consequences that would have.

link to info on GNC's weight gainer 2200 gold (http://www.drugstore.com/qxp79451_333181_sespider/gnc_pro_performance/weight_gainer_2200_gold_vanilla.htm)

link to info on Centrum Performance Multivitamin (http://www.centrum.com/multi/performance.asp)

Klompy
03-14-2007, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, could I double up on the multivitamin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do this, it's possible to get to much of certain vitamins.

Assani Fisher
03-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Out of all of the healthy frozen dinners, I've found Lean Cuisine to be by far the best tasting ones.

theBruiser500
03-14-2007, 03:13 PM
For eggs, since they have a lot of cholestoral what do you guys think about boiling them and then just eating the whites?

Doug Funnie II
03-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Bruiser-
Yeah when I eat eggs, its only the whites. IIRC each white has 6 grams of protein in it, so I eat 4-6 when I do eat eggs.

AZK-
I actually enjoy working out but I dislike cooking, so its not really a matter of effort involved. But you're right, they're a great source of protein and I should be eating more of them. I'll just get a friend to get me a dozen from the dining hall though /images/graemlins/grin.gif

skunkworks
03-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Yolks ftw. I don't have any cholesterol concerns, and the yolk holds a lot of nutrients. Also, there's still lots of controversy about the supposed negatives of yolks.

kyleb
03-14-2007, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Out of all of the healthy frozen dinners, I've found Lean Cuisine to be by far the best tasting ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Likewise. The french bread pizzas are good.

Ponies
03-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Protein:
Grilled / baked / rotisserie chicken
Tuna
Eggs
Turkey
Whey

Carbs:
Brown rice, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, bananas, apples.

Fat:
Flax oil, eggs, peanuts.

These are the only things I eat when im dieting seriously

cbloom
03-14-2007, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm too lazy to make eggs anymore. I should get somebody to pick me up a dozen or so hardboiled from the dining hall though.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF how can you be too lazy to make eggs. Are you too lazy to wipe your butt?

Doug Funnie II
03-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Yes. Yes, I'm too lazy to wipe my own butt.

AZK
03-14-2007, 05:52 PM
I just saw the mention of lean cuisine. That is laughable in a food thread in a forum that is supposedly geared towards healthy eating and living. If it's in a box and you need to microwave it chances are it's not good for you. There are better alternatives, time isn't really an excuse since we are all taking the time to learn and improve our health on an internet forum we can sacrifice some more time to cook/eat healthy.

SmileyEH
03-14-2007, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For eggs, since they have a lot of cholestoral what do you guys think about boiling them and then just eating the whites?

[/ QUOTE ]

HDL v. LDL baby! It's good cholesterol!

skunkworks
03-14-2007, 05:57 PM
AZK,

I'd eat a Lean Cuisine if it were an emergency or I was feeling extremely lazy. It's better than what I'd do without it, which is either starve myself (I'm a hardgainer so this is bad) or go to McDonalds. I wouldn't make a habit out of it though.

kyleb
03-14-2007, 06:16 PM
AZK,

Lean Cuisines are fine for times when you can't make food or don't have the time. Some people lead extremely busy lives and still take dieting/exercise seriously, and can't always eat perfectly.

-sk00lb0y-
03-14-2007, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AZK,

Lean Cuisines are fine for times when you can't make food or don't have the time. Some people lead extremely busy lives and still take dieting/exercise seriously, and can't always eat perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop making excuses

Doug Funnie II
03-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Sk00lb0y, I don't think anybody appreciates the tone you've brought here. Take a deep breath and try to forget whatever has been bothering you. Or just spam OOT.

-sk00lb0y-
03-14-2007, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sk00lb0y, I don't think anybody appreciates the tone you've brought here. Take a deep breath and try to forget whatever has been bothering you. Or just spam OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm taking alot of deep breaths. But I jsut do not buy the "I'm really busy / I have a busy life" excuses. It is very easy to make meals for yourself, as you know judging by your posts. I refuse to believe that someone does not have the time to take out 2 pieces of whole wheat bread, put natral PB on it and some fruit based jam/jelly.

hotbacon
03-14-2007, 09:31 PM
mostly tuna (the packets that are flavored), natural PB, skim milk, cottage cheese, turkey, protein shakes, and tons of fruits and veggies.

XXXNoahXXX
03-14-2007, 09:40 PM
These things are super tasty and healthy. Each one has 80 cals, 9g protein, 3g fat (0.5 sat), 3g carb, 2g fiber.

http://www.iateapie.net/images/brands/mfarmslink.jpg

Turkey bacon is great. Not sure of all the details, but 0.5 fat grams and 3 grams of protein per slice. Bake em at 400 for 12-14 minutes, then throw a few slices on sandwiches or eat straight up.

http://www.jennieo.com/images/brands/refrigerated/Bacon.jpg

A few other things I like:

BallPark Turkey dogs aren't too great tasting, kind of plain, but they are only 45 calories and fat free. I like to cut them up and put them either in beans or in pasta/mac and cheese.

Baked Cheetos Suprisingly good and a great snack.

Smart Start Soy Protein.

kyleb
03-14-2007, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AZK,

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop making excuses

[/ QUOTE ]

You've been warned about the attitude. Most of us live in reality.

Enjoy a 2 day ban.

thirddan
03-14-2007, 10:05 PM
kyle,
a little harsh no?

kyleb
03-14-2007, 10:20 PM
I disagree. The Gym was opened for the benefit of all users, including the ones who aren't health-savvy. The arrogance/attitude is not welcome in this forum simply because it's going to inhibit new people from coming over here and posting their ideas and what they want to learn.

AZK
03-14-2007, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AZK,

[/ QUOTE ]

don't want to harp, but i will sometimes make double or triple portions, partition and store in tupperware in the fridge. As I'm walking out the door in the morning I'll take one or 2 for food throughout the day. In addition to larabars/jerky, fruit, nuts, as snacks...This isn't that difficult to do and is 100x healthier than lean cuisine. Even the worst case scenario...I don't have time to make the veggies which take the most time, I'll take the chicken breasts with me in tupperware and buy a huge salad. Better options than boxed/processed food...

lippy
03-15-2007, 12:03 AM
How about some recipes for something one can make a lot of, put in bags, then freeze/refrigerate in bags and microwave when hungry?

kyleb
03-15-2007, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about some recipes for something one can make a lot of, put in
bags, then freeze/refrigerate in bags and microwave when hungry?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. AZK and others, please share!

Thremp
03-15-2007, 01:37 AM
kyleb,

The fast food/lean cuisine excuse is really lame. If you are so busy that you cannot take out a set segment of 3-4 hours a week to prepare a decent numbers of healthy meals. You aren't taking health seriously.

You can make single servings sizes of a variety of meals in a short period of time. If some things won't last very long... You could even divide it up.

IE Throwing some chicken on the george and getting some spring salad with a little oil and vinegar in a bad and making it the night before should take <20 minutes and is quicker than eating at Chipotle or a Lean Cuisine.

kyleb
03-15-2007, 01:41 AM
I agree that making your own food for the most part is going to be best, but the idea that it is impossible to eat at places when you have an absurdly busy week is ridiculous.

This week I worked 18 hours a day in the office for 7 days. Faulting me for being unable to get to the gym and prepare a week's worth of food is insane.

Thremp
03-15-2007, 01:50 AM
kyleb,

By no means. Feel free to look over my log. But I wouldn't also say that I'm "serious". Life's about priorities and if improving appearance/physical performance makes the cut. You can fit in some time to put together some meals.

Ponies
03-15-2007, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
kyleb,

The fast food/lean cuisine excuse is really lame. If you are so busy that you cannot take out a set segment of 3-4 hours a week to prepare a decent numbers of healthy meals. You aren't taking health seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't even need to really prepare food. If time is an issue and you're dedicated to eating healthy then you can just have a can of tuna and some bananas, which is a quicker meal than lean cuisine. Or go to the supermarket and buy a few pre made rotisserie chicken breasts and just put them in the refrigerator.

Thremp
03-15-2007, 03:43 AM
Ponies,

There are some things worse than death. Tuna out of a can with bananas is one of them.

skunkworks
03-15-2007, 03:56 AM
Some of you are really blowing the Lean Cuisine issue out of proportion.

XXXNoahXXX
03-15-2007, 08:25 AM
People need to make their own chili.

Basic Chili Ingredients:

2 big jars marinara sauce
2 cans red beans
1 can black beans
2 large onions
1.25 lb ground turkey
table spoon cumin
1/2 table cayenne

Add in extras like zucchinis if you want. Just cook onions with ground turkey till brown then throw all the rest of it.

You've just made like 6 meals.

Green Kool Aid
03-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Soy milk instead of cow milk is my new thing.

I get chocolate flavored, and it tastes pretty good.

AlfilRey
03-18-2007, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am trying to bulk up, and I'm also trying to simplify my diet in order to clean it up and maximize its efficiency.
I'm drinking Weight Gainer 2200 Gold mixed with vitamin D milk. My question is, could I eat only this for a few weeks and expect good results/expect not to get sick? I'm also taking Centrum Performance multivitamin everyday.
Also, could I double up on the multivitamin? I really don't know what consequences that would have.

link to info on GNC's weight gainer 2200 gold (http://www.drugstore.com/qxp79451_333181_sespider/gnc_pro_performance/weight_gainer_2200_gold_vanilla.htm)

link to info on Centrum Performance Multivitamin (http://www.centrum.com/multi/performance.asp)

[/ QUOTE ]

That product has 2200 calories. You take that each day? Seems too good to be true for someone like me who struggles to get in the necessary daily calories...anybody know anything about this product, its effects, how often you take it, etc?

skunkworks
03-18-2007, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maltodextrin, Weight Gainer 2200 Gold Protein Mix (See Product Details), Corn Syrup Solids, Fructose, Dextrose, Vitamin/Mineral PreMix (See Product Details), Guar Gum, Artificial Vanilla Flavor, Guarana Extract, Creatine Monohydrate, Lecithin, Aminogen, Carbogen, Papain, Lipase, Bromelain, Alpha Amylase

[/ QUOTE ]
I've highlighted the sugars. A lovely bit of magic allows maltodextrin to be listed as a carbohydrate but not as a "sugar". I'm not precisely sure why it's allowed, but maltodextrin is.

Basically, this shake is some flavoring along with some protein and approximately 10 soda's worth of sugar.

einbert
03-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for pointing that out skunkworks. I have since switched from that shake to a 100% whey protein shake.

Scotty.
03-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for how to make tuna taste good? I can't eat it without putting about 3 tablespoons of mayo in it. It's light mayo, but still pretty bad nonetheless.

cbloom
03-25-2007, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any suggestions for how to make tuna taste good? I can't eat it without putting about 3 tablespoons of mayo in it. It's light mayo, but still pretty bad nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I load it up with tons of relish. Finely diced red onion and celery is nice too.

Diplomat
03-25-2007, 09:16 PM
There is a surprizing lack of veggies on most of these lists. Every week I go through a ton of veggies, probably at least 5 servings a day on average.

I also see lots of soy and tuna, not necessarily good things in large quantities.

-Diplomat

StaticShock
03-25-2007, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a surprizing lack of veggies on most of these lists. Every week I go through a ton of veggies, probably at least 5 servings a day on average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Super true. I think that fruits and veggies get overlooked way too often. You need the vitamins these provide along with the enzymes you get from eating them. These enzymes aid immensely with digestion of all that protein you're putting down so that you can fully utilize it for muscle growth.