PDA

View Full Version : *The gym* Your favorite protein powder?

1C5
02-01-2007, 05:11 PM
What do you guys use? Like it taste wise?

I am using 2 kinds right now.

1st is called Syntrax Nectar. I mix it with water and have it after my workouts. Taste is decent, I have tried the ice tea and peach flavors. Best thing about it is that no blender is needed, mixes easily with a spoon.

2nd one is Muscle Milk. I can guarantee it is the best tasting protein powder in the world. Right now my 2 favorties are chocolate banana crunch and chocolate mint chip. These I usually have later in the day and/or before bed mixed in a blender with some ice and 2 cups of milk. I look forward to having them, that is how good they taste.
Downside, higher in fat/sugar. I am trying to put on weight now though, so no problem.

1C5
02-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Heard the apple is not bad either.

http://www.a1nutritionproducts.com/graphics/products/syntrax/nectar_2lb.jpg

http://store.a1nutrition.com/img/img/dsc_3935.jpg

Messiahkid
02-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Muscle milk is mostly casein, as opposed to whey, and I see so many people taking it post workout when it should be taken pre-bed.

My favorites are ON 100% whey and BSL (Black star labs)

guids
02-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Ill have to try the nectar, cherry flavored, ive never had anything but chocolate, interested to see the diff.

1C5
02-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Yes, next order I am going to get cherry and apple.

Thremp
02-01-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm taking Metabolic Drive by Biotest. It replaced their Grow! series. I'm not sure I'm that down for it. Seems they are getting away from what I liked about it.

I'll likely start making my own blends at a customize places like true protein or somewhere.

I don't know if I'll brave my hydrolyzed whey. I know its the best stuff, but it tastes like crap. And I got the stomach flu last time I used it, which is enough to ruin many moons of gains from perfect PW nutrition. Bah.

cbloom
02-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Trader Joe's whey protein is like 100X cheaper than anything else on the market.

New001
02-01-2007, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Muscle milk is mostly casein, as opposed to whey, and I see so many people taking it post workout when it should be taken pre-bed.

[/ QUOTE ]
So this has me curious, I just started working out again. How much of a benefit does this kind of stuff give?

guids
02-01-2007, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So this has me curious, I just started working out again. How much of a benefit does this kind of stuff give?

[/ QUOTE ]

Casien (which is slow digesting) is good to take any time during the day, except after a workout, where you want something that is absorbed by your body ASAP (whey). Cottage cheese is mainly casien.

New001
02-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks. You'd recommend taking something then?

The X-Factor
02-01-2007, 05:44 PM
I always used creatine when I worked out all the time. Never really any type of protein shake though. Have you looked into that (creatine) before?

kyleb
02-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Optimum Nutrition Gold Chocolate Milk.

IronDragon1
02-01-2007, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Optimum Nutrition Gold Rocky Road

[/ QUOTE ]

guids
02-01-2007, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I reccomend is making sure you drink post workout shake, consisting of dextrose and whey protien. Its up to you if you want to take any other protien supplements any other time during the day (cost effectiveness, taste compared to food, convenience.)

1C5
02-01-2007, 05:58 PM
What is your ratio of dex to protein after the workout?

Right now I am at 60g dex and 46 g protein. (180 lbs). Is that enough dex or should I have a little more?

guids
02-01-2007, 05:58 PM
2:1

1C5
02-01-2007, 06:04 PM
yeah I will add another scoop, get it to ~80 g.

Claunchy
02-01-2007, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Optimum Nutrition Gold French Vanilla

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

New001
02-01-2007, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I reccomend is making sure you drink post workout shake, consisting of dextrose and whey protien. Its up to you if you want to take any other protien supplements any other time during the day (cost effectiveness, taste compared to food, convenience.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I think I'll start doing this.

danvh
02-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Hate to hijack. But I dont know much about this type of thing and am trying to learn...

So I am kind of skinny, like 6'2 175, take Thai Boxing 2 times a week, and do a most likely crappy full body workouts 2 times a week.

After I work out I normally take some Whey. Other then after working out I dont take anything else except a multivitamin and some fish oil each day..

Is this good. bad, other?? Should I be taking something else?? I am not trying to really get big or anything, just want to have good functional strength for sports and fighting and look somewhat decent. All these different types of protein shakes and other supplements confuse the hell out of me and I have had a hard time finding what Ive been looking for without getting answers revolving around some product they are selling or how to make me huge.

Thanks for any help.

Soul Daddy
02-01-2007, 06:12 PM
I use Biotest Surge for post-workout drinks and Metabolic Drive (banana flavor), also by Biotest, for additional protein shake needs. I am a big fan of both.

troymclur
02-01-2007, 06:16 PM
anybody know anything about Isopur (http://www.bodybuildingoutlet.com/isopure1.html)?

It tastes far better than any other mixture i've tried.

IronDragon1
02-01-2007, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
anybody know anything about Isopur (http://www.bodybuildingoutlet.com/isopure1.html)?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been (literally) seven years since I last had Isopure so take this with a grain of salt but I found it to be one of the worst mixing protein powders on the market.

For what it's worth the taste was average for what else was available.

troymclur
02-01-2007, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been (literally) seven years since I last had Isopure so take this with a grain of salt but I found it to be one of the worst mixing protein powders on the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst mixing? As in it literally doesn't mix well? As far as taste, all the others i've had a usually pretty milky and thick, this was more like gatorade; which is why i preferred it.

Messiahkid
02-01-2007, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is pretty overpriced

IronDragon1
02-01-2007, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst mixing? As in it literally doesn't mix well? As far as taste, all the others i've had a usually pretty milky and thick, this was more like gatorade; which is why i preferred it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me clarify-

I don't mean that it was at all clumpy when I say it didn't mix well, in fact it mixed so well it tasted like flavored water at the end, it left a gritty residue.

Thremp
02-01-2007, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use Biotest Surge for post-workout drinks and Metabolic Drive (banana flavor), also by Biotest, for additional protein shake needs. I am a big fan of both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hows the taste of Surge? Since its like 4x the cost of homemake I'm not sure I wanna buy a 30 buck tub of crap.

Soul Daddy
02-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Surge is a pretty strange drink, both in consistency and flavor. It's a bit off-putting at first, because it's so strong and SOOOO sweet, which was totally unexpected. But once you get the first few down it becomes like dessert. The original flavor tastes like angel food cake.

Doug Funnie II
02-01-2007, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me clarify-

I don't mean that it was at all clumpy when I say it didn't mix well, in fact it mixed so well it tasted like flavored water at the end, it left a gritty residue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its gritty because it has lots of glutamine which doesn't dissolve too well in water. Glutamine and creatine fight for absorbtion in the body, so if you're taking creatine Isopure probably isn't the best brand to take.

kyleb
02-01-2007, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm I should try this too, I've heard good things.

Anyway, Optimum Nutrition Gold ftw. I usually make a smoothie out of two scoops of it, fat free milk, ice cubes, and peanut butter for a meal replacement.

anklebreaker
02-01-2007, 07:12 PM
For nutritional value, Isopure is awesome (protein isolate). It is a bit more expensive than other brands though. I sometimes use VP2.
For taste, nothing beats muscle milk.

Having two types is really practical. I use isopure/VP2 pre and post workout. When Im hungry at night, I stir up the muscle milk.

Mr. 3173
02-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Optimum Chocolate Mint, Thread Over (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html)

Etric
02-01-2007, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Surge is a pretty strange drink, both in consistency and flavor. It's a bit off-putting at first, because it's so strong and SOOOO sweet, which was totally unexpected. But once you get the first few down it becomes like dessert. The original flavor tastes like angel food cake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raspberry Surge tastes like raspberry Kool-aid mixed with too much sugar combined with something to make it taste like medicine. I almost spit it out the first time I tried it. It isn't thick either; it is like Kool-aid.

I'm doing the Velocity Diet right now, so I am taking Surge and Metabolic Drive.

I used to use Muscle Milk and I can vouch for Strawberry and Chocolate Mint. They are delicious!

jthegreat
02-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Syntrax Nectar. It's SO good.

ImAKing
02-01-2007, 07:51 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/davis_j23/untitledwhey.jpg

Orange Cream is amazing with orange juice. Been using it for 7 months now

1C5
02-01-2007, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Syntrax Nectar. It's SO good.

[/ QUOTE ]

what flavor(s)?

gimmetheloot
02-01-2007, 07:59 PM
100% whey gold standard protien. Vanilla Ice Cream flavor w/ milk

guids
02-01-2007, 08:08 PM
On a low carb diet, surge (when it tasted like angel foodcake), was like heaven, but I havent ordered it in like 2 years, just becasue of the price. i might get some more though.

RichC.
02-01-2007, 08:11 PM
I use Nitro Tech when I can get it for cheap.

jthegreat
02-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I've had the Twisted Cherry, Fuzzy Navel, Green Apple, Lemonade, and I'm about to get the Carribbean Cooler. All the ones I've had have been fantastic simply mixed with water. Seriously, they're all *really* good.

Spellmen
02-01-2007, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had the Twisted Cherry, Fuzzy Navel, Green Apple, Lemonade, and I'm about to get the Carribbean Cooler. All the ones I've had have been fantastic simply mixed with water. Seriously, they're all *really* good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just ordered some, thanks. Seems decently cheap too, got it for $26 for 2lbs. I never really religiously taken protein because I don't really like the crappy thick chocolate/vanilla mixes, so hopefully this works out.

Any specific brands of glutamine best? I was gonna add some of that as well but the site has like 100 different kinds /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Uston
02-01-2007, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm taking Metabolic Drive by Biotest. It replaced their Grow! series. I'm not sure I'm that down for it. Seems they are getting away from what I liked about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the fact that if you mixed it with skim milk and cottage cheese, it tasted better than a milkshake? God that stuff was so amazing.

Alobar
02-01-2007, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hate to hijack. But I dont know much about this type of thing and am trying to learn...

So I am kind of skinny, like 6'2 175, take Thai Boxing 2 times a week, and do a most likely crappy full body workouts 2 times a week.

After I work out I normally take some Whey. Other then after working out I dont take anything else except a multivitamin and some fish oil each day..

Is this good. bad, other?? Should I be taking something else?? I am not trying to really get big or anything, just want to have good functional strength for sports and fighting and look somewhat decent. All these different types of protein shakes and other supplements confuse the hell out of me and I have had a hard time finding what Ive been looking for without getting answers revolving around some product they are selling or how to make me huge.

Thanks for any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im interested in the answer to this as well. Im kind of in the same boat. I rock climb and run/cycle, so im very active and interested in improving my overall strength (mostly for climbing) and im sure Im not getting enough protien in my diet but everything is marketed towards getting big and thats definitely not what I want to do.

Blarg
02-02-2007, 12:17 AM
I like 100% Whey Protein by Optimum Nutrition in chocolate and in vanilla, but more in vanilla, which kinda surprised me. Most vanilla products have too weak a vanilla taste, but this one's not bad. This products mixes pretty well in milk and stays suspended long enough for me to drink it without it dropping into clumps on the bottom.

TravestyFund
02-02-2007, 12:31 AM
I just buy the cases of the Musclemilk individuals, usually just chocolate milk. I'm way too lazy to make a shake with a blender everyday.

kyleb
02-02-2007, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im interested in the answer to this as well. Im kind of in the same boat. I rock climb and run/cycle, so im very active and interested in improving my overall strength (mostly for climbing) and im sure Im not getting enough protien in my diet but everything is marketed towards getting big and thats definitely not what I want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

To both of you:

Forget about supplements for now. Just take a multivitamin and find a good protein shake (Optimum Nutrition is a solid brand and their flavors taste good) and do a ton of core strengthening exercises like squats, deadlifts, cleans, cable rotations, and pullups/dips. You'll get strong very quickly if you are eating enough protein in multiple small/medium meals and working out every other day. If you don't want to get huge, then just mix in a bunch of cardio and don't pig out on food.

bigfernz
02-02-2007, 02:01 AM
Any thoughts on scifit econo-whey?

zPro
02-02-2007, 02:06 AM
I use Nitrean.
I recommend chocolate. Mixes easily with a spoon.
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8376/nitreangc5.jpg

Jeff W
02-02-2007, 06:02 AM
I just started supplementing with protein powder. I'm using the Dymatize Butter Cream Toffee, it's delicious. I've heard good things about Muscle Milk--I'm going to order the banana creme next time around. I'd also like to try the Optimum Nutrition Rocky Road, though I'm told that Dymatize>ON in general. Anyone know of a way I can get samples for different powders?

Jeff W
02-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Oops, I think I'll skip the muscle milk--it has a lot of fat and carbohydrates added in.

death_blooms
02-02-2007, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Optimum Chocolate Mint, Thread Over (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed

delta k
02-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Amplify XL has shown me the best gains and tastes pretty damn good. I've also tried bomber blend, GNC brand and Designer Whey, and this is the stuff I'm sticking with. Costs more, but worth it.

Amplify XL (http://www.ndsnutrition.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=51) http://www.ndsnutrition.com/comersus/store/catalog/AmplifyXL_Choc.jpg

danvh
02-02-2007, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To both of you:

Forget about supplements for now. Just take a multivitamin and find a good protein shake (Optimum Nutrition is a solid brand and their flavors taste good) and do a ton of core strengthening exercises like squats, deadlifts, cleans, cable rotations, and pullups/dips. You'll get strong very quickly if you are eating enough protein in multiple small/medium meals and working out every other day. If you don't want to get huge, then just mix in a bunch of cardio and don't pig out on food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the help. These are probably another set of dumb questions. But say I get the Uptimum Nutrition. Do I take that every day? Do I replace a meal with it? Do I take it after working out, or just regularly?

Sorry about the list of noob questions. Im just starting to learn about this stuff.

JMa
02-02-2007, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that one is excellent. their vanilla ice cream flavor is horrible however

Entity
02-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Muscle Milk FTW. My favorite flavors: Chocolate Peanut Butter, Mocha Joe. Creamsicle is pretty good too but I can't drink it as often.

Rob

Klompy
02-02-2007, 12:54 PM
EAS (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/eas/whey.html)

This stuff tastes pretty good, and is what I've used for a while. Anybody know if it's any good?

skunkworks
02-02-2007, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that one is excellent. their vanilla ice cream flavor is horrible however

[/ QUOTE ]
LIES! It's the best. It's by far the best mixer, and on its own mixed in skim milk it is awesome.

matt holland
02-02-2007, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy at easypricematching.com

madbeetz
02-02-2007, 02:14 PM
I am looking for something to replace some meals, and also a post workout drink. I am looking to slim up, not get big. Suggestions?

Hendricks433
02-02-2007, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am looking for something to replace some meals, and also a post workout drink. I am looking to slim up, not get big. Suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ] This is exactly what Im looking for too, I want to get strong but slim down just a little. What is a good multivitamin?

GotRivered?
02-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Just started using this new stuff

42 grams of whey protein per 3 oz of drink

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/images/catalog/skus/yq-1006.gif

IDS Sports Liquid Protein
Ive been advised to avoid fruit punch and orange

One right after the workout is perfect for me

TimM
02-02-2007, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm going to try this one, I assume it's been imporved in the last 7 years. I need something with little or no carbs or fat. I'll try the chocolate which is 3g carbs 50g protein per serving.

Edit: I just ordered the 7.5 lb pail. Should be good for about a month - I need about 2 servings a day to get up to 1g of protein per pound. Cost is a bit high but if I can cut all the high fat foods like cheese and nuts I've been eating after workouts due to cravings, it should be a wash.

kyleb
02-02-2007, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the help. These are probably another set of dumb questions. But say I get the Uptimum Nutrition. Do I take that every day? Do I replace a meal with it? Do I take it after working out, or just regularly?

Sorry about the list of noob questions. Im just starting to learn about this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drink a protein shake right after a workout, and one during the day whenever you can stand it. If you mix it with peanut butter, ice, and milk in a blender, you have a nice ~400-600 calorie drink as a small meal replacement if you like, too.

madbeetz
02-02-2007, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] This is exactly what Im looking for too, I want to get strong but slim down just a little. What is a good multivitamin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Barrin6
02-03-2007, 01:17 AM
DON'T EVER GET 100% ON WHEY flavored COOKIES AND CREME. Worst decision of my life. DIsgusting disgustinggg
Stick to chocolate and you will be fine

Barrin
The next arnold minus the steriods

LuckOfTheDraw
02-03-2007, 04:00 AM
I just get the stuff at Costco, not sure of the brand. It's whey protein. Also, to anyone complaining about clumping, mix your powder James Bond style, shaken not stirred. I just use a jar that came with some peaches.

madbeetz
02-03-2007, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barrin6
02-03-2007, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just saw that today when I walked into vitamin shoppe. They were giving out free samples. It's really sweet but again like freaking expensiveeeeee.

guids
02-03-2007, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just saw that today when I walked into vitamin shoppe. They were giving out free samples. It's really sweet but again like freaking expensiveeeeee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye, I had a sneaking suspicion that there is no way this stuff is any good, 42g's of protein per 3oz just didnt seam right. I searched for the ingredients and this is what I found:

Ingredients: Pure Deionized Water, Actinase [patent pending blend of Enzymatically Hydrolyzed (Predigested) Collagenic Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate and Casein Protein Isolate], Malic Acid, Myovol Complex [Proprietary Blend of Leucine, Valine and Isoleucine], All Natural Flavors, Acesulfame-Potassium, Sucralose, Blue 1 and Red 40.

The first isolate, which Im sure are where like 90% of the protien comes from, while is technically protien, can not be utilized by the body as real protien. The main ingredient is the same thing that is found in candy cigarettes, ground up beef bones.

Blarg
02-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Yuck, that was disturbing. Why can't the protein be used "as real protein?"

guids
02-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Its gelatin (collagen), they are considering it a protien, but it is unusable as a "real protien".

Thremp
02-03-2007, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yuck, that was disturbing. Why can't the protein be used "as real protein?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Think horse hooves.

Packard
02-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Try EVOPRO from the makers of muscle milk. Cookies n' Creme is the best!

Barrin6
02-04-2007, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye, I had a sneaking suspicion that there is no way this stuff is any good, 42g's of protein per 3oz just didnt seam right. I searched for the ingredients and this is what I found:

Ingredients: Pure Deionized Water, Actinase [patent pending blend of Enzymatically Hydrolyzed (Predigested) Collagenic Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate and Casein Protein Isolate], Malic Acid, Myovol Complex [Proprietary Blend of Leucine, Valine and Isoleucine], All Natural Flavors, Acesulfame-Potassium, Sucralose, Blue 1 and Red 40.

The first isolate, which Im sure are where like 90% of the protien comes from, while is technically protien, can not be utilized by the body as real protien. The main ingredient is the same thing that is found in candy cigarettes, ground up beef bones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow what a [censored] scam then. The lady lied to me!

Thremp
02-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Barrin,

She didn't know. GNC people are notorious for not having any clue about what is going on.

Peter Wiggin
02-04-2007, 03:59 PM
What about Soy or vegetable protein? As useful as the whey stuff? How about Spirulina?

guids
02-04-2007, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about Soy or vegetable protein? As useful as the whey stuff? How about Spirulina?

[/ QUOTE ]

Soy protien is said to lower testosterone levels in men, there is debate, but I stay as far away from soy as possible just in case. veggie protien? dunno, i dont know what spirulina is.

Thremp
02-04-2007, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They have lower bioavailability in addition to the estrogen concerns they also have.

mikeymer
02-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Optimum Nutrition Tropical Punch

Spellmen
02-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Is BSN Cellmass a good creatine product to get?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/cellm.jpg

bills217
02-07-2007, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GNC's MegaMan is good. I take the Vitamin World equivalent, which is called Ultra VitaMan, and is cheaper but pretty much the same content-wise.

Vitamin World is a great place to buy from, in general; they have these huge sales the first week of every month where you can really find some great deals.

As far as protein I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey and usually buy it off www.bodybuilding.com. (http://www.bodybuilding.com.) Strawberry, Rocky Road, and Milk Chocolate are all fine; personally I can't stand the French Vanilla. After listening to others, Chocolate Mint will be what I buy next.

And to everyone who is concerned about "getting too big," you have nothing to worry about. Putting on muscle mass is not an easy thing. Most people who actively try to get big have a hard time doing it. (Like me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

ryanj247
02-07-2007, 05:52 PM
every time i go online and start reading about lactose intolerance and other assorted problems with the digestion of milk-based proteins, my intuitive sense to avoid milk & cheese is strongly reinforced (even though i don't seem to be particularly lactose intolerant myself).

have any of you that lift/train seriously researched this? can you come to any conclusion other than that milk products are bad for you? at that point, are you still comfortable consuming siginificant amounts of whey protein on a daily basis? are there any suitable meal replacement / post workout shakes that are not milk-based?

kyleb
02-07-2007, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
every time i go online and start reading about lactose intolerance and other assorted problems with the digestion of milk-based proteins, my intuitive sense to avoid milk & cheese is strongly reinforced (even though i don't seem to be particularly lactose intolerant myself).

have any of you that lift/train seriously researched this? can you come to any conclusion other than that milk products are bad for you? at that point, are you still comfortable consuming siginificant amounts of whey protein on a daily basis? are there any suitable meal replacement / post workout shakes that are not milk-based?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you have lactose intolerance, what would the big deal be? The alternative is soy protein, which tastes like [censored] and if taken too long can cause increased levels of estrogen / depressed levels of testosterone.

Personally, I mix my protein powder with fat free milk fairly often, and I've had no problems at all.

ryanj247
02-07-2007, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Unless you have lactose intolerance, what would the big deal be?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you do the research, you'll find that dairy products are basically toxic to (all) humans. even if you don't experience acute digestive symptoms, the damage done to your digestive system can lead to chronic health problems later in life.

yes, also lots of problems with soy proteins...so any alternative would have to be some other protein. chicken shakes? lol. the perfect shake would probably be a quinoa shake. most likely there are none of those on the market though...

skunkworks
02-07-2007, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you do the research, you'll find that dairy products are basically toxic to (all) humans.

[/ QUOTE ]
Statements like this set off my BS alarm. Proof?

I also don't think quinoa can possibly be amino acid complete? It is pretty tasty when cooked with some salt in chicken broth though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wu36
02-07-2007, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use Nitrean.
I recommend chocolate. Mixes easily with a spoon.
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8376/nitreangc5.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

this stuff is good, a bit expensive but it tastes good and mixes pretty well. i used to like the blackstarlabs stuff when they just shipped it in big plastic bags, but i dont think they do that anymore.

zpro, you from wbb?

ryanj247
02-07-2007, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you do the research, you'll find that dairy products are basically toxic to (all) humans.

[/ QUOTE ]
Statements like this set off my BS alarm. Proof?

I also don't think quinoa can possibly be amino acid complete? It is pretty tasty when cooked with some salt in chicken broth though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa) :

"Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete foodstuff."

as for the milk, i dunno, i'm sure there's arguments on both sides. but there's such an overwhelming amount of at least argument, if not evidence, coming from the diary-is-bad-for-you side that it makes me figure i might as well try to avoid dairy. like i said, my instinct is to avoid it anyways, so the research (or BS. whatever.) just reinforces that.

1C5
02-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Got the chocolate mint muscle milk, it is amazingly good mixed in a blender with milk and some ice. wow.

fmxda
02-07-2007, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Proof?

[/ QUOTE ]

ClubChamp04
02-07-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm very surprised there is no love for Designer protein /images/graemlins/confused.gif. I usually get the vanilla praline and think it tastes good.

JMa
02-07-2007, 07:29 PM
mixing whey protein w/ milk is bad. milk contains caseine (slow protein?). the whole point with taking whey protein is fast proteins, no?

skunkworks
02-07-2007, 07:37 PM
JMa, I think mixing whey with milk might slow down the absorption of the whey protein a bit, but that may not be a bad thing depending on when you're taking the shake. I can't imagine this effect really mattering much in the long run, and I wouldn't nit up details like this.

kyleb
02-07-2007, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
JMa, I think mixing whey with milk might slow down the absorption of the whey protein a bit, but that may not be a bad thing depending on when you're taking the shake. I can't imagine this effect really mattering much in the long run, and I wouldn't nit up details like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it, basically.

1C5
02-07-2007, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm very surprised there is no love for Designer protein /images/graemlins/confused.gif. I usually get the vanilla praline and think it tastes good.

[/ QUOTE ]

welcome to 1996. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Doug Funnie II
02-07-2007, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
can you come to any conclusion other than that milk products are bad for you? at that point, are you still comfortable consuming siginificant amounts of whey protein on a daily basis?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a moderate degree of lactose intolerance, and I avoid practically all dairy. That said, the 2 30 gram whey shakes I have each day have never had any of the effects that normal dairy has on me.

Also consider this: lactOSE is a form of sugar, so any low-carb protein powder is going to have negligeable amounts of lactose in it, if any. At least thats what I've been told and it seems to fit with my experience with whey protein.

zPro
02-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Just got some super cheap powder from Sams Club.
Taste is really good, like cake batter, but mixes terrible.
$6.61 for the jug, LOL
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/4940/cytowheywd1.jpg
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8352/cytowheynutriby5.jpg

Jeff W
02-11-2007, 01:34 AM
Just tried Optimum Rocky Road--tastes like crap to me.

Also tried Champion Nutrition Banana--A+.

Blarg
02-11-2007, 02:17 AM
Mixes like crap is a huge downer to me. Goop at the bottom of the glass sucks.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein really blends nice for me, but particularly vanilla.

TimM
02-11-2007, 11:14 PM
OK I got the Isopure Low Carb, Dutch Chocolate. Taste is OK, but I've never had any of the others I have nothing to compare it to. I'm going to stick with it because of the very low carbs and fat, and high protein per serving.

It can be mixed with a spoon but I won't recommend it. I bought a hand blender and that worked fine. It came with a measuring cup I could also drink from, so that makes things easy.

theblackkeys
02-16-2007, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So should I be mixing whey + dextrose and water? Or should I be mixing it with something else? Doesn't sound like anyone else in this thread mixes dextrose into the shake.

Confused.

Thremp
02-16-2007, 04:26 AM
theblackkeys,

Just choc. milk and sweet tarts.

guids
02-16-2007, 06:52 AM
whey, dextrose and water, 2:1 ration (dextrose:whey), ONLY post workout though, within 45 minutes of working out.

I also want to add, that I got my cherry flavored nectar about a week ago, and it is vvvvvv solid, taste wise. Its much easier to take this stuff down than thick choco flavored crap.

Roswell
02-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Can anyone recommend a good protein bar? Whey protein powder seems to give me splitting headaches - I've tried two different brands. The bars don't seem to cause headaches.

1C5
02-16-2007, 10:23 AM
I just ordered 1 of each of the Nectars to try except the carribean and kiwi strawberry ones.

They are on their way in the mail...

so far:

Ice Tea 8/10 Not bad but doesnt mix as well as the others for some reason

Peach (fuzzy navel) 8/10 Solid, would get again, mixes the easiest

Lemonade 7/10 Not bad but a little too sweet.

On the way:
Apple
Cherry
Some blue flavor , Crystal Sky

1C5
02-16-2007, 10:25 AM
How much protein and dex do you take after workout? I am 185 lbs, goal is 200 lbs.

I take 2 scoops of the Nectar after the gym so ~46g of protein, but then 90 g of dex seems like a lot, no?

denco
02-16-2007, 11:14 AM
ON 100% Whey Gold Standard. The best.

Spellmen
02-16-2007, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I also want to add, that I got my cherry flavored nectar about a week ago, and it is vvvvvv solid, taste wise. Its much easier to take this stuff down than thick choco flavored crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got the Cherry Nectar as well, it has kind of a funky un-geled koolaid taste or something, but it's 10x better than any choco shake i've had, mixes really well with water as well

Roswell
02-16-2007, 07:25 PM
so... about those protein BARS... what do you all like?

shayneon
02-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Another vote for Muscle Milk here. My trainer recommended it a couple years ago and I have been using it ever since. The fact that it is patterned after "Natures ultimate anabolic food" - human breast milk - seems very logical to me and it tastes great. Cookies and Creme is def my favorite. Strawberry, Chocolate, and Vanilla are also very good. The only one I didn't really like was Banana, but mixed with Chocolate it was OK.

I bought ON 100% Whey once and thought it was disgusting - had one shake and gave it away. I want my shake to be a delicious reward for a good workout, not some gross thing I have to force myself to drink.

osyman
02-18-2007, 12:52 PM
favorite powder? definitely depends on the time of day, and what my intentions are with the protein. When I first get up? optimum gold standard. Its got the hydrowhey that gets to you fast,since your body has been deprived of protein all night. pre workout? you'll want something, believe or not, a little cheaper, quality speaking, thats because opt gold standard absorbs in about an hour, for preworkout, stay away from hydrowhey, stick to the concentrates or even isolates mixed with milk, which will absorb in 2-3 hours, but because of the sugar in milk, rest assured it will be driven into the working muscle. for this i use six star or something cheap. Post workout? Its gotta be anator or myozene, or something homemade that is equivalent, extremely equivalent. they have the dextrose, VERY high quality hydrolyzed whey, and the glutamine and leucine which people tend to forget. Leucine is very important for muscle synthesis, and its important to get it to the muscle promptly after the muscle abuse(post workout). Before bed? Without a doubt, probolic 12 hour release. The amino acid profile in this thing is amazing, very nutritious, and lasts all night so the only thing you need in the middle of the night is water if you wake up. sounds expensive, i know. But if you aren't serious about your physique, what are you doing in here anyway?

Thremp
02-18-2007, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most are horrid. T-Nation has some old ones that tasted like death. The new ones are pretty decent (unsure of whether still made or not), but also aren't as high quality as the old one (eating protein powder held in place with some binding agents sucks). guids described an excellent piece about how places use indigestible protein to boost the protein count while it has no value. I'd just stick to a name brand bar that tastes good, as I really never use protein bars. Wish I could offer more help , but if you are constantly traveling and eating 5+ a week of these. Maybe try some out and write a trip report and we might be able to find out something about the makers of a few.

Thremp
02-18-2007, 04:54 PM
osyman,

That advice is good, but backwards. Fast acting protein after workouts and slow anytime else.

1C5,

You can use dex or malto, doesn't really matter. I've heard malto everywhere, but I'm sure the difference is almost negligible. If you feel frisky add some glutamine and BCAA, I think at many of the specialty shops for protein online you can add these to a dextrose or malto mix for maybe ~3-4 bucks a lbs if you don't wanna give up your current protein powder choice.

chesspain
02-18-2007, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Protein Bars Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005
Show: Good Eats
Episode: Power Trip

4 ounces soy protein powder, approximately 1 cup
2 1/4 ounces oat bran, approximately 1/2 cup
2 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1/2 cup
3/4-ounce wheat germ, approximately 1/4 cup
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 ounces raisins, approximately 1/2 cup
2 1/2 ounces dried cherries, approximately 1/2 cup
3 ounces dried blueberries, approximately 1/2 cup
2 1/2 ounces dried apricots, approximately 1/2 cup
1 (12.3-ounce) package soft silken tofu
1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice
4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/2 cup packed
2 large whole eggs, beaten
2/3 cup natural peanut butter
Canola oil, for pan

Line the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper and lightly coat with canola oil. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, oat bran, wheat flour, wheat germ, and salt. Set aside.

Coarsely chop the raisins, dried cherries, blueberries and apricots and place in a small bowl and set aside.

In a third mixing bowl, whisk the tofu until smooth. Add the apple juice, brown sugar, eggs, and peanut butter, 1 at a time, and whisk to combine after each addition. Add this to the protein powder mixture and stir well to combine. Fold in the dried fruit. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

Thremp
02-18-2007, 06:17 PM
chesspain,

Looks intriguing. Too bad it sounds like they're made by some eco-[censored]. Looks like a good start for an experiment if you can get rid of all the soy.

1C5
02-18-2007, 06:28 PM
But I mean how much dex? 90 g of simple sugars seems like a lot at one time to me?

Thremp
02-18-2007, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But I mean how much dex? 90 g of simple sugars seems like a lot at one time to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Think about this logically. 90g of carbs = 360 cals + the 40g of protein and you're looking at ~ 500 cals for that meal. Which should be a nice small meal in your diet. Some of the lit I read recommends taking a larger shake and breaking it up during workout and after or into 2 shakes PWO. Like a immediate and a 60 min after. But that would be a closer to 180g total weight. But it is alot of liquid to consume while tired and typically not hungry, but thats how life is.

As of late I havn't been rocking great PWO nutrition. I got some sweet stomach flu on a day when I took some of a batch that I had and it kinda turned me off to it. Not to mention my goals at this point don't hinge on a perfect regiment. But this is neither here nor there.

Cliff Notes: Nope, it's the perfect amount.

1C5
02-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Alright, thanks.

Now similiar topic but different question. Do you know anything about simple carbs vs complex carbs for the post workout carbs?

There seems to be divided camps when it comes to this. Some people say the simple carbs (dex, etc) are better as they are easily digested right after a workout.

And the other group says that complex carbs (such as oatmeal) are better post workout and simple sugars are not needed.

Your thoughts?

Thremp
02-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Simple, its not even close.

You want a huge uptake of nutrition which is why you want fast acting whey.

Ideal would be BCAA+Hydrolyzed Whey (1/3)+Malto (2/3)+ glutamine. But I doubt anyone could even keep it down. So we settle for other whey and simple sugars.

I've never even heard anyone say complex carbs... links or examples?

zer0
05-11-2007, 04:10 PM
ok mini bump, but i have switched my whey protein from dymatize elite (which i originally switched to from optimum nutr., and loved) to ergopharm gf-pro, and this stuff is easily the best protein i've ever tasted. i got the orange cream and blueberry, i doubt i'll be switching to a different brand any time soon.

kind of pricey, premium quality http://www.discountanabolics.com/p/EP01

kinda
05-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein CHOCOLATE

ocdscale
05-11-2007, 09:45 PM
ON 100% Whey
Vanilla

Hendricks433
05-12-2007, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ON 100% Whey
Vanilla

[/ QUOTE ] ON 100% whey is good in general, Chocolate, Chocalte Mint and Vanilla are all awesome. Also I like my Syntrax Nectar because it mixes easy with a spoon and taste good made with water.

Pinchot
07-20-2007, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To both of you:

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm pretty late to this thread. I had a question on protein related to the posts above. I started running somewhat seriously in late November and at the same time made a concious effort to cut out terrible foods and overeating but I didn't really go on a strict diet.

As a result, I went from about 200 pounds to 170 or so (I'm 6ft tall). At this point, I'm having trouble maintaining weight. I run about 45 minutes (5-6 miles) 3 times a week and play soccer once a week. I don't really lift weights, but I'll do a few sets of crunches/push ups a few times a week.

I was curious if it would be a decent idea to add some protein type shake to my diet as a source of good extra calories/nutrients. Would this be good? If so, how often should I have one? Daily? Post run?

thirddan
07-20-2007, 06:13 PM
pinchot, this would depend on how many cals you need to add to maintain your weight...likely adding in a mix of protein/fat/carbs is best...but any cals will help and most people need more protein/good fat than they do carbs...

LocustHorde
07-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Muscle Provider by Beverly Nutrition is awesome but expensive.

d0nkaments
07-21-2007, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein CHOCOLATE

[/ QUOTE ]

Pinchot
07-22-2007, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pinchot, this would depend on how many cals you need to add to maintain your weight...likely adding in a mix of protein/fat/carbs is best...but any cals will help and most people need more protein/good fat than they do carbs...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks thirddan. I'm going to start keeping a fitday log to get a good handle on how many calories per day I'm consuming now. After a week or two I'll have a better idea of where I'm at.

Efourdee
07-24-2007, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/219EY26NN1L._AA160_.jpg