PDA

View Full Version : Gold's radio interview

Willy
08-16-2006, 08:39 AM
I just listened to part of Jamie Gold's interview on bigpoker.ca. Only part because he was so irritating I couldn't finish which is first for me. He is the self proclaimed best tournament player ever. Doyle. Hellmuth, Ferguson etc. all told him they have never seem a better player.
Common sense tells me this guy is a pathological liar but judge for yourself. If anyone can get through the entire interview I am interested whether it got any better at the end. If so, maybe I'll try again.

Frankly this guy's ego make Hellmuth's look small.

heater
08-16-2006, 10:23 AM
He says that poker is in his blood. He tells a story about how his parents would brag about how well he could count when he was two years old and he would say, "2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, jack, queen, king, ace."

He says when he met Johnny Chan he told him, "Listen, I'm a famous agent. Everyone of my clients is a celebrity. I want to make you a celebrity in poker."

He talks about his tourney wins at Hustler and says that people were starting to call him "the best of the minor leagues."

He talks about playing with Bobby Hoff and says Bobby always loves beating him because Jamie beats everybody else at the table. Says that Hoff told him that because of his style he would be the greatest tournament player that ever lived if he focused on tournaments.

"The tournament finished a day early because I got everybody playing so fast. They were all so scared."

He says that he would meet with Johnny Chan at the end of every day and Chan would ask him what his plan was for the next day. He says Chan told him, "I can't possibly help you. Everything you're saying is the right thing to do."

He says that Jesus came over to talk to him and Jesus mentioned that he sees Chan giving him advice. He tells Jesus, "No. He's not giving me a lot of advice. He's basically just telling me that I'm the most natural player that he's ever seen that doesn't really need any advice."

He says Norman Chad told him, "I gotta be honest with you. That was the greatest display of poker talent that I have ever seen. I've seen everything and nobody has ever put on a show like that in the history of poker."

He says that he was working on a radio show with Bodog and wound up with his seat in the main event through his relationship with them. He says when they offered him a seat they told him they knew he was a great poker player. He says Bodog was telling him, "No offense to the celebrities on our team, but the chances of them getting deep in the ME are very slim. Everyone's telling us that you're like Kobe Bryant coming out of high school. You've got a shot to make it."

Listening to him talk about his play in general makes me want to puke.

fyodor
08-16-2006, 10:26 AM
"I was the dominant chip leader for six days straight. Never waivered."

What he told J.Chan: "..listen. I'm a famous agent. Every one of my clients is a celebrity. I wanna make you a celebrity, moreso than just in poker."

I'm just listening now and I would have to say this guy is the easiest interview ever. He hasn't stoped talking. No need to ask questions. Just give him the mike andd let him go.

This guy is as full of himself as anyone ever. Does not know the meaning of the word humility.

Talking about the point where he took out Lee. "I'm raising every single pot......I'm raising just to take the blinds."

Announcer: "How many in a row did you raise?"

"I don't remember. I don't wanna say because if you look back at it, it might look like I'm not telling you the truth." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

True North
08-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I can really see where Gold doesn't like the spotlight.

I can't wait to see what his ESPN intrviews during the main event were like.

miajag
08-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Jesus Christ, what a tool.

fyodor
08-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Just finished listening to it all.

Wow.

[Phill]
08-16-2006, 02:21 PM
This guy is the man.

Im listening to him right now and its gotta be said he is either the greatest Walter Mitty (sp?) character ever or the next big thing in poker.

He will have a WPT title before the next WSOP ME rolls around, mark my words.

Greg (FossilMan)
08-16-2006, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll be happy to make that bet. And this is not a slam on Jamie in the slightest. In fact, I'll let you pick any single player you want, and you can bet on them to win a WPT title in the next 12 months, and I'll take the opposite. Name your price.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

uter
08-16-2006, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll be happy to make that bet. And this is not a slam on Jamie in the slightest. In fact, I'll let you pick any single player you want, and you can bet on them to win a WPT title in the next 12 months, and I'll take the opposite. Name your price.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh you're so on.

i'll take jennifer tily for eleventy brazillion dollars.

greg if ur gonna offer easy money, i gotta take it...

AceDeuce1
08-16-2006, 03:06 PM
jamie gold=bad for poker

hes the biggest bullsh!t artist

he said chan called him the most natural play ever

he ripped AC

douche

AJackson
08-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Listening to the interview I finally got some insight into where all the haters get their fuel. His ego is not small. I still like the guy, inspite of the ego. Bottom line, he's a showman and I think it's going to be entertaining year.

digables-
08-16-2006, 03:12 PM
lolz @ "Allen Cunnigham was shaking he was so scared of me"

His cocky, abrasive, and pathological attitude will not really be good for poker.

its actually just going to contribute to an even greater amount of rude and cocky [censored] who run their mouth and talk [censored] at the table.

AceDeuce1
08-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Phil Helmuth,Matusow and Tony G are entertaining.

This guy is plai and simple a bag of douche... I wouldn't be surprised that 90% of what he said is utter bullsh!t, just like how he was an agent to big name celeb.

I hope his cockiness leads him into the big game and he goes busto.

[Phill]
08-16-2006, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh you're so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the exchange rate for brazilian dollars? Btw, you typoed the exact spelling.

I knew someone would pick that up, but didnt think itd be you Greg /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Im sure most i could bet would be similar to the amount you tip your paperboy weekly, but my point stands. No one wins a huge event like this with no skill - his name will be found with more listings on the hendon mob d'base.

Even if you believe half of the rumours he has between 4 and 12 million in his back pocket and a willingness to continue playing poker.

Most of this anger comes from the fact that he talks it up at the table and uses this as a psychological weapon and that he got lucky in a few key pots.

From what ive read his big stack play is very similar to yourself Greg where he tries to basicly dominate everyone in virtually all hands.

The final word is he dominated since day 3 and if this was ANY big name pro doing a similar feat it would be lauded as the greatest poker performance ever.

Guy clearly has skills and he will be seen again.

Name a price and we might talk on that bet Greg /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

pocketse7ens
08-16-2006, 03:30 PM
"Allen Cunningham was shaking, he was so scared of me"

lol.

shaniac
08-16-2006, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about five players at even money? How about odds on Jamie Gold making a WPT final table (assuming he plays every event)?

Greg, how come you didn't let everyone know how awesome you are after you won?

08-16-2006, 04:15 PM
FOSSILMAN WANTS TO GAMBOOOOOOOOOOL

MrFizzbin
08-16-2006, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I have the Grinder for $10 bucks (I'd offer more but I'm between gigs...)

uter
08-16-2006, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I have the Grinder for $10 bucks (I'd offer more but I'm between gigs...)

[/ QUOTE ]

it seems like the grinder will win 2 WPT's every year doesnt it?

me: anyone remember a guy named daniel negreanu from '04?

u: oh well he's still good, he just got caught up in cash games, golf, getting married, business......

me: hmmm, grinder has newborn and another little kid, just bought house in vegas, probably getting more into cash games and high stakes gambool activities (read: golf).

he's a great player - too good for donkaments, thus he'll fade from that scene like dn.

Riina
08-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Well i think the haters-camp that started bashing before the dude even gave his exitinterview just may have fluked here...

If i didn't know this was for real, i'd think this guy was just making a parody of the most obnoxious selffulfilled character he could dream of. Sadly, he doesn't seem that imaginitive, i mean shiiiitttt..... /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

w_gibbs
08-16-2006, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would argue that Hellmuth has purposely created the poker brat image to further his advertising possibilities. Gold seems to be genuine in his utter doucheness.

Dynasty
08-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Where can somebody listen to this interview?

heater
08-16-2006, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would argue that Hellmuth has purposely created the poker brat image to further his advertising possibilities. Gold seems to be genuine in his utter doucheness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Hellmuth seems to have a little Andy Kaufman in him. You can't ever say for certain just how much of what he does is an act. Gold seems genuinely full of himself.

I can understand being excited about the win, but wtf, temper it with a little humility.

heater
08-16-2006, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Podcast "rounders"

MrFizzbin
08-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Just played in a 1K donkament with the grinder. He had 50% of the chips in play by the time we got to 3 tables. I stand by my previous statement I'll take the Grinder to win 1 WPT event in the next 12 mos...He's got Peeps depending on him....

RubbishCards
08-16-2006, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Podcast "rounders"

[/ QUOTE ]
Or download mp3 directly from here (http://www.bigpoker.ca/rounders).

fyodor
08-16-2006, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well i think the haters-camp that started bashing before the dude even gave his exitinterview just may have fluked here...

If i didn't know this was for real, i'd think this guy was just making a parody of the most obnoxious selffulfilled character he could dream of. Sadly, he doesn't seem that imaginitive, i mean shiiiitttt..... /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When the info first came out about him possibly not wanting to finish 1st I kind of defended him in this thread. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=WSOP&Number=6843611&Searc hpage=1&Main=6834570&Words=+fyodor&topic=&Search=t rue#Post6843611) It looks like he lied to me. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Willy
08-16-2006, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It looks like he lied to me. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
And everybody else to whom he has ever spoken.

teamdonkey
08-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Gold:

"if Phil Hellmuth says he's figured out your tells, he's lying, because there were no tells. Every single time i would do something different. And each time i would do that thing, i would have a different kind of hand. So, nobody can figure me out, because I never know what it is that i'm doing."

on what else he'd like to do in poker:

"i'd like to challenge at least Phill Helmuth, if not all the talkers and all the people who were telling me they figured me out... ... we should all play a heads up match and see who can outtalk each other. We each put up a million dollars of our own cash. I feel very confident that these guys won't outplay me. They might beat me, but they won't outplay me."

Prahlad mentioned Jamie's "tells" in his bustout interview, said he would have destroyed him if they had gotten heads up. He's gotta be foaming at the mouth listening to this.

AceHigh
08-16-2006, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He says when he met Johnny Chan he told him, "Listen, I'm a famous agent. Everyone of my clients is a celebrity. I want to make you a celebrity in poker."

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair isn't this how most of hollywood and every agent talks?

fatmanonguitar
08-16-2006, 10:49 PM
I just listened to it. Call me a hater. I hate this prick.

aceupthepants
08-16-2006, 11:40 PM
Regardless of if he is delusional or not, I must say he is entertaining...

SuperUberBob
08-16-2006, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh you're so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason Fossil Man wants to take that bet is because the WPT will be pretty much dead in the future.

My guess is that if this fellow said WSOP event, Fossil Man wouldn't take the bet.

As for Gold, he's a piece of [censored]. Saw it coming from a million miles away.

CharlieDontSurf
08-17-2006, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair isn't this how most of hollywood and every agent talks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes because 90% of a hollywood is made up of people whoa re full of [censored] and nothing else. Go to Sports Club LA...every person will tell you they're either a producer or agent.

A famous agent would never need to tell you he's famous...you'd already know it.

jimpo
08-17-2006, 04:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Allen Cunningham was shaking, he was so scared of me"

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, AC kinda looked that way. I don't know if that's his typical "look" but to me he somehow looked a bit intimidated.

That and the snot rockets, did not impress me much.

Greg (FossilMan)
08-17-2006, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The reason Fossil Man wants to take that bet is because the WPT will be pretty much dead in the future.

My guess is that if this fellow said WSOP event, Fossil Man wouldn't take the bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you're mistaken. I'll take that bet with respect to WSOP events as well. You pick Jamie, or any other 1 player, and I'll bet that they don't win a WSOP event (or a WPT event if you prefer) in any given 12 month period (in the future, of course). Of course, this only includes the main events, not the preliminary WPT events, or the preliminary events in the WSOP Circuit series.

It's not that easy to win a big event, even if you happen to be the best player in the field. The odds of winning once in a given year are pretty small.

Mr_Soprano
08-17-2006, 11:21 AM
You can find the interview at www.bigpoker.ca (http://www.bigpoker.ca) weekly radio show/podcast that is as good or better than "the circuit"

tpir
08-17-2006, 11:50 AM
There is something about his tone where even though he is saying some semi-ridiculous stuff I kind of dig him.

Dude certainly knows how to talk.

Butso
08-17-2006, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have Tuan Lee for 1 Million Dollars

tpir
08-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Also, this show seems to be pretty good as far as talk shows about poker go.

benfranklin
08-17-2006, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It's not that easy to win a big event, even if you happen to be the best player in the field. The odds of winning once in a given year are pretty small.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please quit wasting time posting in gossipy threads and get the damn book written. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Greg (FossilMan)
08-17-2006, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me if you're serious, and I'm sure we can make it happen. For $1M I'll probably go out there and sell part of the bet, but I'm sure it can happen. Also, since I don't know who you are, you'll need to tell me or otherwise convince me that you can make good on the bet if you lose.

LasVegasMichael
08-17-2006, 02:23 PM
I'll bet $20 that Butso will not follow through with his bet (i.e. that he was not serious).

dogdrool
08-17-2006, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me if you're serious, and I'm sure we can make it happen. For $1M I'll probably go out there and sell part of the bet, but I'm sure it can happen. Also, since I don't know who you are, you'll need to tell me or otherwise convince me that you can make good on the bet if you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that the person proposing a million dollar bet is named "Busto".

e_phemeral
08-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Wow, Jamie Gold is a complete tool. It sounds like he thinks that he basically did something unheard of in winning a large poker tournament. Did you guys hear that every now and then he played 2-4? OMFG 2-4! And then he'd bet it even if he missed the flop! The guy is genius, pure genius. I can't wait to read his book.

gag. i hope he loses all of his money this year.

Instyle007
08-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Just listened to the Gold interview, WOW can that guy talk.

I am just amazed at how many times he explained how people think he's the best or could be the best poker player ever.

My favorite part is where is likens himself to Kobe Bryant coming out of high school.

I can't pass judgment completely until I watch the ESPN show, but this guy has taken cocky to a whole another level.

Phil will be happy to have the negative attention focused somewhere else for a change.

brett712
08-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Well I think I jumped the gun trying to defend this guy after watching the PPV. Clearly he is not the humble guy that wants to avoid the spotlight like he said before the final table.

Anyways for the bet I will pick the fossilman himself to win a major event this year. That way it will put more pressure on him when he is down to heads-up action and wondering if he should throw it just to avoid losing the bet to me lol.

teddyFBI
08-19-2006, 05:57 AM
O.
My.
God.

I thought those quotes in this thread were a parody.
I am stunned.

jrbick
08-19-2006, 07:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that the person proposing a million dollar bet is named "Busto".

[/ QUOTE ]

Look again. "Busto" was so 2 months ago.

jrbick

dogdrool
08-19-2006, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Look again. "Busto" was so 2 months ago.

jrbick

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, indeed. My appologize Mr. Butso. Ha.

Sponger.
08-19-2006, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just listened to part of Jamie Gold's interview on bigpoker.ca

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow could they kiss his ass harder in this interview? I've never actually listened to this show before FWIW.

I don't really know much about journalism and doing interviews and stuff but I don't know how the guys who are doing this interview just go "WOW SHUT THE [censored] UP YOU [censored] LIAR". I guess you need to be gigantic ass kissers to get future guests and just ask softball questions?

Combusted
08-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Lmfao Jamie Gold is "Gold"

bav
08-20-2006, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really know much about journalism and doing interviews and stuff but I don't know how the guys who are doing this interview just go "WOW SHUT THE [censored] UP YOU [censored] LIAR". I guess you need to be gigantic ass kissers to get future guests and just ask softball questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there are different kinds of interviews. There's the Mike Wallace "explain to the American people why we shouldn't hang, draw, and quarter you, Mr Lay" interview. And there's the Jay Leno "tell me about your hobbies in retirement, Ken" interview. Oddly enough, people will happily talk to Leno, while many folks are a little hesitant to sit down with Wallace.

I rather like that they just let Gold babble on. Fun stuff. If they'd shut him down, we wouldn't have had this entertaining thread, for instance.

Mr. Orange
08-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Curious. Did Busto follow through with his bet? Doubt it but I just figured I'd ask.

rothko
08-20-2006, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FOSSILMAN WANTS EASY MONEY

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

shamus
08-20-2006, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I rather like that they just let Gold babble on. Fun stuff. If they'd shut him down, we wouldn't have had this entertaining thread, for instance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. (Could they have shut him down, though? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

The Rounders guys (Mike Johnson and Adam Schwartz) generally don't ask difficult questions of their guests, but they're hardly gutless sycophants. E.g., two shows back they had WSOP Commish Jeffrey Pollack on and did force him to respond to some of the players' concerns that had come up during this yr's event. Pollack answered in PR-speak, of course, but they acknowledged afterwards that he did . . . .

Fossilman'll tell ya (he's been on) -- the Rounders guys are as good as any others as far as poker podcasts go. Getting Gold was a coup for 'em, that's for sure (the main reason for their enthusiasm, I'd venture).

Sparta45
09-08-2006, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please quit wasting time posting in gossipy threads and get the damn book written. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's funny /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif