PDA

View Full Version : Horrid AA hand

gol4pro
01-16-2006, 06:47 AM
God I butchered this one. villian is 22/3/1.5, and rather unremarkable. Stacks are 50$.

I have A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif on button, villian is MP1. Villian opens for 3$, I reraise to 8$, villian calls.

Flop Q /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
-- pot 16$
-- villian checks, I check

Turn T /images/graemlins/spade.gif
-- Villian checks, I bet 8$, villian raises to 16, I call

River J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (pot 48)
-- Villian open pushes for 25$, hero folds

River is a fold because I beat ONLY KK, and I think he plays that faster somewhere either preflop or on flop.

I didn't fold turn because I only lose to QQ and TT... and I don't think he calls PF with TT given his PT numbers.

Obviously I need to bet this flop because other than QQ he can't have a Q. Furthermore, 16% of the money went in PF... so paying him off can't be that bad anyway supposing he does have AQ.

Bet 10 on flop and get it in ont he turn right?

Sciolist
01-16-2006, 08:02 AM
I'd bet this flop, $10 sounds good, though I might be more tempted for $8 - there're no potential draws, and I figure this is a good time to keep the pot a little smaller.

Your check means you have QQ, KK or AA to villian, so after the check, I can live with your line, though I'd be thinking of folding to the re-raise. I am a bit weak tight sometimes, especially with no information on that flop :]

So, $8 on the flop, $12 on the turn, let's see what happens.

dseiler116
01-16-2006, 08:43 AM
Definitely would have bet the flop. With a QQ on the board, this may have chased him out, and now if he's in with suited connectors he just drew a nice hand.

JustToast
01-16-2006, 09:26 AM
bet the flop and find out what he's got. Most will flat-call with a Q here.

Edit:

Your line is the line a lot of people take when they raise PF and flop a monster. Checking the flop and betting the turn screams monster and he's not afraid of it. Fold the turn as played.

Isura
01-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Flop check is fine as long as you also check behind when you miss (I do this a lot). I like the turn raise, but make it more. River is close, he might be donk pushing a counterfeited two pair but who knows. I wouldn't be surprised to see a KT or JT here.

wdead
01-16-2006, 09:32 AM
I like hero's line here. Flop we are wa/wb why get check raised off the best hand a good portion of the time. I think a flop bet is kinda weak and looks too much like JJ, 1010, or AK. I really like how hero played this hand, except I woulda bet a little more on the turn, prob like 10 or 12.

Edit- Make it 10 to go preflop.

Dan Bitel
01-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Raise more preflop

Bet the flop....dont let him outdraw you if he's behind and try and gather some info if he's ahead

wdead
01-16-2006, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise more preflop

Bet the flop....dont let him outdraw you if he's behind and try and gather some info if he's ahead

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are we protecting our hand here? What hand can villain have that we are worried about being outdrawn? If villain calls the flop we also still have no idea where we are. I really hate your proposed line and your logic. Hero's limne reps much more strength than yours and makes it much easier to fold to aggression

JustToast
01-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Betting the flop isn't protecting the hand. Villain should not be able to call this without another big pair or a Q unless he's on a pure bluff. And frankly, if someone wants to gamble that I DONT have a Q here and bluff at this pot, they've earned it imho.

wdead
01-16-2006, 10:33 AM
If villain has any sort of hand reading skills it should be obvious hero almost never has a queen here.

pokernose
01-16-2006, 10:48 AM
I would bet the flop here. You probably still have the best hand and should try to get value for it. As you played it you can probably fold to the check raise on the turn. Your opponent is telling you that you are beat and you will probably need to commit a lot of chips to get to a show down.

JustToast
01-16-2006, 11:04 AM
I didn't note the PF re-raise on my last post so thats a very good point (AQ, KQ rarely re-bumps PF and QQ is obviously a long shot).

I really should pay more attention /images/graemlins/smile.gif

wdead
01-16-2006, 11:11 AM
I call the river, I have decided.

amead
01-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Just a quick hit - 3% pfr is pretty tight raising standards, and he raised from MP, so I'd say this hand fits in his general raising range. With a PFR % this small, I'm thinking AA-TT, AK, AQ. No re-re-raise leads me to think that he doesn't have AA/KK, and QQ is obviously a long, longshot.

I'm guessing his hand range is AK/AQ/JJ/TT. Might be a bit too restrictive, but I think that he'll have those hands the majority of the time here.

AK gets there on the river, but the turn min-raise from this sort of player doesn't sound like a gutshot.

AQ could definately be played this way. He flopped his monster, and checked to you. You gave a bit of scared half-pot action on the turn and he tried to massage a bit more out of you (he's probably putting you on AA/KK/AK after your re-raise PF).

JJ - He checks the flop, waiting to see what you'll do and if you'll blow him off with your overpair. When you check, he might figure you for AK, and think that his jacks are good. Tries to pick off your delayed continuation on the turn, and then hits his set on the river. Possible.

TT - Also very possible. TT would be a raise from this sort of player (potentially), and then call the PF re-raise for set value. Checks the flop, hits the 2-outer on the turn and pulls the classic monster minraise.

Definately a river fold, and expect to see AQ/JJ/TT from this guy if you did call.

I'd suggest a flop bet against this sort of player as well, who's demonstrated reasonable tightness. You might have folded out JJ or TT to a 3/4 continuation (though maybe not..but you'd more likely get to a cheaper showdown).

Iconoclastic
01-16-2006, 11:54 AM
I might check the Flop against a LAG but since he's not a bet is OK.