Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2006, 06:24 AM

Default Prayers found ineffective in speeding recovery

Article.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Prayers found ineffective in speeding recovery

The most interesting thing about this article is the reason for it's being written.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:35 AM

I can't believe people belonging to the sceintific community actually spent the time, effort and money to do this. Its kind of depressing
Old 04-07-2006, 08:44 AM

There's a huge missing piece of information there, namely whether the third group who were being prayed for believed in prayer.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a huge missing piece of information there, namely whether the third group who were being prayed for believed in prayer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah! Yes, the placebo effect!
Old 04-07-2006, 09:30 AM

I think it's important to realaize that the sceintific community wastes alot of time, effort, and money debating sceinticfic ideas with religious fundementalists. This study, could answer a very important question, and provide evidence of a God. How is answering an imortant question a waste of time, effort and money?
Old 04-07-2006, 09:42 AM

Doug - I don't think it's a waste of time and money either, because I think it's pretty interesting stuff.

But I think it's use is very limited in terms of convincing the religious right of anything, the reality is that studies with findings like these will be ignored completely. Religious interests do not apply scientific principles to the evaluation of these studies, they will cherry pick. To that end it could be argued that any such studies are detrimental, because only the ones that validate religion will be considered.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doug -

But I think it's use is very limited in terms of convincing the religious right of anything, the reality is that studies with findings like these will be ignored completely. Religious interests do not apply scientific principles to the evaluation of these studies, they will cherry pick. To that end it could be argued that any such studies are detrimental, because only the ones that validate religion will be considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guesswest, I can't agree that the placebo effect is interesting in the context of this study, but the rest of your post is golden.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:44 AM

lol i cant wait for someone to die and go to heaven for the following conversation

Dead guy: God! Im only 45 years old. WTF!
God/Jesus/Allah/I dont know whoelse: Your family didn't pray for you. Take it up with them. What was I supposed to do?
Old 04-07-2006, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not sure I willing to concede that the speculative uses of a study are grounds to deny oursleves the knowledge gained by doing the studies. Information is becoming and will become more of an ethical issue. People have the right to have correct information, what they do with it is mostly thier own business.