Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 10-28-2007, 09:38 PM

Default 2-7 Triple Draw - Walk through of a text book hand

I'm just starting to play again after a long hiatus, and have been playing 2-7 triple draw for the first time. I've read Dan N's SS2 chapter, and some stuff online, but I'm still trying to get handle on the basics of the game (having only played holdem before). So here's a hand, that's probably totally standard, I'm hoping we can walk through it a little bit. I'm new at table, and honestly am not totally sure what I"m looking for yet in terms of reads, so no reads at the moment.

5 handed, I'm CO w/ K9732
UTG limps, I raise, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG Calls

First Draw (8.5 sb) - 4handed
BB draws 3, UTG draws 2, I draw 2, CO draws 1 My hand after the draw is Q7432
BB checks, UTG checks, I bet, CO raises, BB folds, UTG folds, I call

Second Draw: (5.5 bb) heads up
I draw 1, CO draws 1. My hand after the draw is 74332
I check, CO Bets, I call

Third Draw (7.5 bb) heads up. My hand after the draw is 77432
I check, CO checks

My thinking in this hand looking back: Predraw looks fine. I think I could have 3-bet on the first draw though. CO cold calling then drawing one card is a little strange. thinking back, with my admittedly very limited skills, I would put him on a decent one card 8 draw. I have the best possible draw after the first draw, maybe I should be 3-betting him here? Same deal with the second draw. Like I said, I'm sure this is a totally average hand, but some analysis would be really helpful while I'm learning.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: 2-7 Triple Draw - Walk through of a text book hand

Assuming CO was pat on the third draw, this is 100% standard. You can choose to checkraise the second round if you like, but anyone who coldcalls and draws one may not bet if he doesn't improve. And obviously giving a free draw here stinks.

If you both drew 1, bet the end.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:06 AM

So, if you want to bet-3bet the second round, or bet the third round unimproved, the question in my mind is what else do you play that way? If you do it with just 7432 then you are potentially giving up valuable information.

You should be a little wary of putting more money into the pot when you are out of position. Your edge could be narrower than you think since your opponent has a drawing advantage, in addition to some ex-showdown equity from acting last. However, I tend to think that your read is good and you should be willing to gamble it up a bit here, at least occasionally.

2nd round: Bet/call is fine to drive out the rest of the players. Did you consider a check-raise, or figure that the 1-card draw might be too weak to bet unimproved? I think it is probably close between driving players out of the pot (8.5 small bets already is worth fighting over) and exploiting your equity edge. Your relative position is good.

3rd round: A bet might occasionally win the pot here, but check-call is certainly the correct default play. The pot is large enough that you are obligated to call a bet or raise; conversely this means your opponent pretty much has to call (or raise) instead of folding. There are 6.5 bets after he bets, so you are certainly getting odds to continue even if he only bets 875xx and better--- you'd have to be certain he has a 7 to fold!

4th round: He stood pat on the last draw, correct? If he did not, this is an automatic bet. Even if he did stand pat, it is worth bluffing with your worst pair; not necessarily every time, though. Given the third round action he could easily have a 9, T, or J instead of a made 8--- if you can get him to fold just 12% of the time then the bet is profitable. You also want to bluff often enough that he can't automatically fold whenever you come out firing with a legitimate hand.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:35 AM

I am 3betting after the first draw here, always.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 3betting after the first draw here, always.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is bad. You need to c/c or b/c here. The CO is taking 1 so you are never ahead and the people you're ahead of have folded.