Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 09:47 PM

Default What is your dream?

Most people I know are currently in a lucrative career, etc... but the majority of them have a dream; something they really want to do regardless of the money. If this has been done in the past, please just delete it; couldn't find it with a search.

Some know my story: went to an elite law school, finished at the top of my class, got arrested for fighting the summer after 1L, left law school, and currently getting my MBA. To be honest, the idea of being a corporate lawyer made me sick, but I probably would have went that route if my hand wasn't forced. So I guess it was a blessing in disguise.

My dream is to open a restaurant one day. A nice little culinary heaven where I can play poker in my office. I have had this dream for a long time and have no clue if I will follow through with my wants and needs. Basically want I want to know is: are you living your dream right now with your respective careers?
Old 02-17-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: What is your dream?

[ QUOTE ]
Most people I know are currently in a lucrative career, etc... but the majority of them have a dream; something they really want to do regardless of the money. If this has been done in the past, please just delete it; couldn't find it with a search.

Some know my story: went to an elite law school, finished at the top of my class, got arrested for fighting the summer after 1L, left law school, and currently getting my MBA. To be honest, the idea of being a corporate lawyer made me sick, but I probably would have went that route if my hand wasn't forced. So I guess it was a blessing in disguise.

My dream is to open a restaurant one day. A nice little culinary heaven where I can play poker in my office. I have had this dream for a long time and have no clue if I will follow through with my wants and needs. Basically want I want to know is: are you living your dream right now with your respective careers?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you open a restaurant and are LUCKY to survive year one, after working 7 days a week and having absolutely no social life; you may be lucky enough to play poker in the mornings before the lunch rush. This of course postpones all relationships with family, friends, gf and/or wife. Don't want to wreck your dreams just trying to state the obvious.

My dreams are happening. I travel, work when I want and make a decent wage. I have good friends, family and love. I have a healthy dog and all the toys a guy could want. Maybe my dreams lie in the moment; idk. I complain and obviously want more (needing absolutely none of it) but generally lead a fulfilling life day to day.

just my two cents.

FYC
Old 02-17-2007, 09:59 PM

I want to build a rocket in my barn and fly into space.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:01 PM

your life sounds pretty good fyc
Old 02-17-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you open a restaurant and are LUCKY to survive year one, after working 7 days a week and having absolutely no social life; you may be lucky enough to play poker in the mornings before the lunch rush. This of course postpones all relationships with family, friends, gf and/or wife. Don't want to wreck your dreams just trying to state the obvious.

My dreams are happening. I travel, work when I want and make a decent wage. I have good friends, family and love. I have a healthy dog and all the toys a guy could want. Maybe my dreams lie in the moment; idk. I complain and obviously want more (needing absolutely none of it) but generally lead a fulfilling life day to day.

just my two cents.

FYC

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you open a bar in Las Vegas and pull in 100K a month via Video Poker.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:35 PM

Old 02-17-2007, 10:36 PM

My dream is to make enough money to be comfortable and have a hot, loving wife. Dog mandatory, kids optional.

And win a WSOP bracelet.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your life sounds pretty good fyc

[/ QUOTE ]

I also dont want to sound pretentious as that may be how it came out. I'm also not perfect (noted by my two astericks) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I just think that sometimes our wants exceed our needs. As in the example of the OP. He thought for sure he was going to be a corporate attorney and life (destiny or fate) steered him another way. Sometimes you can want the perfect world (or dream in his case) and what you want actually turns into something greater.

Who doesn't dream of having more or being better? If you aren't then you aren't living. Trump wants more money, Gates gives away more money then countries earn in a lifetime, yet these guys strive to do more, earn more, etc...

I also think dreams can be altered at any point by events that either affect you directly or indirectly. I never thought I would be in this position 2 years after my world changed but, luckily I am. Things can change and I am sure I won't always have it this "good".

FYC

P.S. apologies to the OP for thread jacking.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:45 PM

My dream was to be a pilot in the USAF, but medical problems ended that. Not sure what I currently want to do, but having fun figuring out my life at the moment
Old 02-17-2007, 11:05 PM

Become the General Manager of a Major League Baseball team.

Win a World Series ring.

Get elected to the baseball hall of fame