Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Get reraised yet again, now he actually has a hand...

Hi all,

One of the things I promised myself in the new year is actually posting hand histories, so here goes.

Small time tourney, $1+0,10 at Stars, Villain has reraised me the last 5 times I came in with a raise.
As I like to come in with a raise if I am first to act, and all the previous hands mentioned I indeed was the first to act, some hands were marginal. Think small pocket pairs and suited connectors. I backed off on all his reraises. And then this hand comes along...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP2 (t7955)
MP3 (t5565)
CO (t3200)
Button (t6908)
SB (t7955)
BB (t7500)
Hero (t3650)
UTG+1 :#A500AF (Villain)/ (t3325)
MP1 (t865)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 :#A500AF(Villain)/ raises to t3300</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero calls t2700.

Flop: (t6775) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t6775) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t6775) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t6775

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Kh Ad (one pair, threes).
Villain has Ts Th (two pair, tens and threes).
Outcome: Villain wins t6775. </font>

Any comments on this hand? My thoughts were that he thought it was ok to reraise, since I had backed off on all previous hands. Normally I would have backed off yet again, but I simply did not believe he always had the hand to reraise me. Pls post your comments to this noob, appreciate it very much.

Oh btw, it is the first time I use the converter, I hope I am sticking to the rules here.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Get reraised yet again, now he actually has a hand...

Read the forums more.

This could not be any more automatic. It is 100% perfect (...actually its 50% perfect because you posted results and didn't use the correct converter format. Just leave your post as 'hero...?' or 'hero calls' do not post anything after that. Make sure 'twoplustwo' is selected in the converter so that the gibberish code does not show up)
Old 01-07-2007, 07:45 PM

I use to hate tournaments. I was at the Taj in Atlantic City 7 years ago (playing 5/10;was still learning) and got to talking to this guy who played on PokerStars. Told me about the muti table tourns and how they get 2k players some times! Things have changed, eh?

Anyway, I come home and setup a firepay account, get my money deposited and jump in one of those low limit tourneys, maybe $10 or $20 at the most, but it's like 1500 players I think. Maybe less.

I make it to the final table! Bust out in 9th though.

Anyhow, I can't make it in the money anymore, give it up and go back to ring games. The emotional drain when I get it all in with the best hand, like KK v. KJ and lose to runner, runner, straight.......well it was just too much. You spend 2 or more hrs playing what you think is your best tournament poker, only to lose to a bad beat.......whaw whaw.

Well I'm over that, which means I'm a much better player. That has to be one of the signs, and, I'll tell you why.

I was playing in a tournament yesterday and had this guy pegged as the Shark at the table. It was obvious he was the best player sitting at our table.

We get heads up, money isn't all in preflop, Flop comes KQQ.
He cks, I ck, Turn a dud, He cks, I ck. River: dud. He puts me all in for my last 2400 chips I call.
He has K's full, I have Quad Queens. He takes it very well and chats it up with me, talking about how all the money was going in the pot no matter how it was played, yada yada.
Even congragulated me. That's the sign of a seasoned tournament player. Not the one's who berate you when they get a bad beat.

Anyhow, I read your post and what jumped out at me:

The 3rd time that guy raised me....I'm not Open/raising in front of him unless I've made the decision that my hand is strong enough to come back over the top of him. Let's get it over with.

I don't limp in EP or MP. I always want 1, 2 opponents at the most. I want position. I want to be up against players I think I'm better than. I want it all Preflop [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

So, I'm playing the $4.00 180 man sit n go's, until I can pull a profit from them, then I'll move up to the $10.00.

Now, I've won 2 seats into the big Sunday Tournament by entering the 500 FPP tournaments in the past, however, I played too tight, got lucky and pushed through with double ups when the blinds got me to where my stack was 10-12x the big blind.

I believe for a newbie to tournaments to win on line, you need several things:

Theory of Poker

Harrington on Hold Em; all volumes

PokerTracker with PAHUD

Hours of reading 2+2

I don't think Raymer let 2+2 put that quote on the back of their books just for the money. Of course, he had to agree to not completing that statement with "and hundreds of hours of study and great mentor(s), along with the backers I had to help float my bankroll while making scores in live tourneys up and down the east coast."

I remember when Greg was selling stock in himself at $500 a pop. I was reading RGP and met some people in AC that knew him, and, almost got in.......but then........concluded what I thought was the intelligent decision........keep my money rather than give someone you never met 500-1k, with nothing more than a written contract, when he's an attorney!

Next summer he wins the WSOP.........bummer. Oh well, I would have blown my portion in tournaments on line anyway.
[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2007, 08:06 PM

Good raise, good call.

Btw, best not to let the cat out of the bag with statements such as 'now he actually has a hand', 'how could i have got away from this' etc.

Best to say 'ak off vs all in raise'

At the end of the day, you have the fifth best HE hand, so you are calling almost any raise.

Admiteddly, AK is a better move in hand than a calling hand, but ill take it any day!