Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 03:01 AM

Default Theory Q on Continuation bets

i have found as of late that my continuation bets get no respect on paired flops and on flops that don't have any paint, i am frequently being floated or raised. Even flops that have a bit of paint seem to be the target of scrutiny for my loose pealing/ heavy floating opponents (although this may be my selective memory working [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

As a result ive had to back off my cont bets on these flops, this displeases me bcs i hate just giving up on a flop with initiative.

how do you guys handle this sorta thing? Are thir general changes you make to your game, or do you cont bet ~85-95% of flops until your opponent begins to play back at you first?
Old 12-27-2006, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Theory Q on Continuation bets

i cbet 100%
Old 12-27-2006, 03:12 AM

I assume you are talking about a PFR and oop on the flop...
Assuming you have a good image I think a continuation bet after you have made one previously and folded later to a possible float can make you hand more dangerous. Unless the villain thinks you are not paying attention and adjusting your game he should give you credit for a stronger hand the next time you fire after having to give up oop. Because of this you really need to fire IMO or you will be floated on much more often. I know it is general but you may have to lose a few hands before you pick up a strong one and get it all back from a villain that thinks you are weak tight.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:14 AM

That's when you start 2nd barreling.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:20 AM

Yeah i've had this in patches over the last few days, i've tended to cbet as much as I can till people play back at me, once they do I tone it down slightly, till I come back with avengeance, when I either think they are weak, or I have a huge hand.

If you have position, villian checks to you and you bet out having been the pre flop raiser is this not a c-bet still?
Old 12-27-2006, 04:46 AM

3bet paired flops every once in a while. You'd be surprised how often those min-checkraises are just small pocket pairs that don't think you hit.

Example: Villain is 25/13/2.x

Full Tilt Poker
$0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
5 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
UTG: $197.15
Hero (MP): $112.20
CO: $98.50
SB: $133.45
BB: $81.3

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1.5, 5 players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.50</font>, CO folds, SB folds, BB calls $2.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($7.5, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $12</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $35</font>, BB folds
Uncalled bet of $23 returned to Hero

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [] ($31.5, 1 players)
No action

<font color="black">River:</font> 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [] ($31.5, 1 players)
No action

His range here basically for calling is like small PPs, suited cards not including 2 and high cards. Being that we raised the button, he's likely making a play here pretty liberally. Of course a push would mean a slowplayed high pair or 66 but this rarely if ever happens. I think your average villain will fold all but TT+ to this raise as well as the rare 66 and 2x.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:01 AM

I agree with the light 3-betting especially the odd min rr as it's so annoying/downheartening/plain ghay!

Similarily I fold k7 os PF!!
Old 12-27-2006, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i cbet 100%

[/ QUOTE ]
talk about a gaping hole in your game...
Old 12-27-2006, 05:22 AM

as someone already pointed out, one way to balance cbetting too much is to double barrel more. but a lower variance and probably similar EV approach would be to think about what your cbet is going to accomplish, and NOT DOING IT when it doesn't accomplish anything. which is probably a good 30% of the time or more.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:26 AM

Seemingly its right to do it 100% of the time until people start to play back at you.

There are obviously some flops where you just cant cbet with the hands you have, on so many pots though it's all about just betting out.