Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 12:10 PM

Default GD Donk Bet!

6Max 10NL rings...
Late pos, i raise a LOT of different hands. What i don't know is how to defend againts the donk raiser.

EXAMPLE (not a real hand)
UTG folds,
MP limps,
CO folds,
Button (HERO) raises it to 5 times the BB with 75s,
SB and BB fold,
MP calls

Flop; A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP bets pot?!
Ok...so i've got a bluff no matter what, one that i was happy to continuation bet. Should i Float? Raise? Fold?

What i normally do is see if they do it often, and if so, i started floating, but if they fire again on the turn, am i forced to give up the hand?

Normally they somehow always manage to donk bet me on the hands where i've got nothing. It's rare enough that it might be when they have a real hand...but i never can tell because they never get to showdown.

What would you do on that hand? Keep folding to the donk bet till you have a better idea of what kinda hands they play?

Here's a real hand.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $2
Hero: $10.65
SB: $10.90
BB: $4.40

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, SB calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($1.2, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $1.2</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $1.2 returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: $1.2

The answer is normally, "Well what are your reads"
Againts a tight player, it's pretty easy to see this is a fold, but what about the players where their range is a little more wide (such as almost everyone playing 10NL).

I can bring the stats from PT, but i have no idea which ones you would want (Still semi new to PT and PokerAceHUD)

And PT only shows three hands shown down for this person, even though we played about 77 hands at that table.

As far as my personal reads about this hand anyways, this hand is from 10/09/06...so i don't remember at all.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:23 PM

Default Re: GD Donk Bet!

If the flop didn't come all suited, what would you do? You don't have a strong hand anymore. You have to realize that and not get too attached to your hand. You seem to be taking people's bets into you a little personally. Think about what villain could have. You have .50 invested, doesn't seem like its worth it to put in another 1.20 or more when you might have 4 live outs, if lucky.
As for the whole concept of people donk betting into you, use that to your advantage. They aren't respecting your raises, and that might be due to the fact that you're raising a LOT of hands. Use the image to make money instead of getting frustrated and raising a pot sized bet with now draw or overcards or anything.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:27 PM

patience young grasshoppa. if they continue to reraise you everytime, you have to hit sooner or later, then BAM! they go busto.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:28 PM

First hand: I'd fold. I don't mind your raise pre-flop, but after you raise, get called and see an Ace on the flop, you can be pretty sure you're beat.

Hand 2: I wouldn't really mind a raise here. It's possible villain is on a flushdraw (could have the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) here. I would potraise here (to ~$4) and see what he does. If he's been pretty passive you can fold too. But I think a 'standard' donk would play a flopped flush much slower and try to lure you in.
If you raise and get called, and get bet into again on the turn, you can fold.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:29 PM

Folding is goot, punish him when you actually hit something. Fold in both of your examples.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:31 PM

I never said i had a strong hand. I would be just as happy with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The problem is, i want to continuation bet, and i feel like if someone donk bets, they take that tool away from me.

If you raise preflop and someone donk bets, YOU are forced to make a hand. I am asking if there is a way to put the pressure BACK on the other player...i'm not asking how to play the suited hand. I'm asking about donk betting advice.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding is goot, punish him when you actually hit something. Fold in both of your examples.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if someone is taking the continuation bet away, let it set up the image that i raised with nothing and punish them when i hit?

Not a bad idea.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:34 PM

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:41 PM

There are better whiffed flops to float than these two.

Fold 'em both.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:39 PM

When would you advocate floating?