Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games

Old 11-01-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Please recommend a game

I am looking for a very specific type of PC game. It can be brand new, or it can be several years old. My criteria are fairly specific, but I have no idea where to start. I am embarassed to say that it has been so long since I have played a PC game that I have no idea what is technologically possible or available.

I don't play many games, but I am getting the hankering. My friend Kevin and my brother would be my only opponents.

Here is what I don't want:

No MMORPGs -

I don't want to deal with a bunch of fourteen year olds, or with people who play the game forty hours a week. Ideally I would like to find something that the three of us could log on to and only play each other.

No games relying on finely tuned reflexes -

No Counterstrike or Halo type of affairs. I suck at these things, but the other people suck even worse.

The ideal would be a competitve strategy or RPG game like the original Warcraft played multiplayer. Something turn based, requiring little to no fast button pushing might be even better. I really want it to be a cerebral game where strategy and tactics are the deciding factor.

I will probably buy a couple of the recommended titles and give a trip report.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Please recommend a game

books, go on aim for 5 min to discuss this (easier than typing out a post because i need to ask u questions)
Old 11-01-2006, 08:06 PM

civ 4!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:07 PM

Civilization II/IV are good turn-based strategy games.

Rome: Total War is pretty fun, but is also flawed, because campaigns drag on due to siege after siege, and managing every goddamn province gets annoying after a while. Battles are excellent though.

If you haven't played Starcraft (RTS) yet, it can get pretty fast and button-clicky, but it's also extremely well-done.

For RPGs, Baldur's Gate II, Oblivion, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic are absolutely amazing. I've beaten both BGII and KoToR, and loved them both, but Oblivion gets too slow for my tastes, it really needs a great GPU.

The PC version of FF7 (Final Fantasy VII, one of the greatest RPGs) is really bugged, but FF7 is awesome, and worth a playthrough just for storyline alone.

Advance Wars is the funnest thing ever if you haven't played it yet, getting a GBA emulator and ROM just for Advance Wars would be worth it. This is a turn-based strategy game with less economy than Civ II/IV. Quicker play and better paced than Civ IV. Awesome game.

Oh, and SNES Roms are even easier to get. Chrono Trigger, for example, was really goddamn fun.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:11 PM

i recommended him star control 2 so he can start playing the best game of all time immediately; best game of all time + free = awesome

ship it

http://sc2.sourceforge.net
Old 11-01-2006, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i recommended him star control 2 so he can start playing the best game of all time immediately; best game of all time + free = awesome

ship it

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my god! I remember playing this game when I was like 10 and loving it. My brother bought the 3rd one and it turned out to be not as fun. Melee mode was the best.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:54 PM

Rise of nations
Old 11-01-2006, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ship it

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my god! I remember playing this game when I was like 10 and loving it. My brother bought the 3rd one and it turned out to be not as fun. Melee mode was the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, the 3rd one was not as good. but #2 was amazing.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:13 PM

Bear with me on Civ 4 questions.

Can I set up a four player game where each of us has our own civilization and are competing against each other? Then we can just stop and log off and pick it up later when we are ready?

You can tell it has been a while since I have played games.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:17 PM

Yes. Of course, I assume you're doing this live.