Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Did I misplay this hand completely and get lucky?

PF raiser is 21/17/2.1 in 50 hands. The rest of the table is loose passive fishy. Lots of hands 5 handed with limpers, and lots of cold calling with J9s, QTo, etc. My feeling at the time was ok, its been raised, one CC and Im in. Then on the flop, I felt like my implied odds were good. I figure after I hit the set, its pretty standard so Im not so interested in that.

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8SB, 4 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5.5BB, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button folds.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (10.5BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Results:
Final pot: 12.5BB
Old 06-11-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Did I misplay this hand completely and get lucky?

I think it's best to fold the flop because you are drawing to 2 outs and possibly drawing dead. Even if your hand is best on the flop, it will not be best by the river, especially with so many players seeing the turn.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:47 PM

Yes

this isnt the worst spot I've ever seen for peeling with an underpair and you only have the BB left to close the action and since You're 2 outs don't complete a straight or anything but do bring out a backdoor flush redraw.

Even still flop call is absolutely minus EV not just because you could be up against a better set but really just because even with implied odds you're not getting a large enough overlay. You'd need better than 20:1 assumming if you hit you'd win (which you can't assume) to break even which you didn't even get with the hand working out for you and someone paying you off and getting to put in multiple bets on the big streets. Either the pot has to already be larger or there need to be more people in the hand who are playing very loose going to showdown, overcalling on the river ect. to justify this play; conditions that don't come up all that often.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:47 PM

Preflop is okay, but I think you should fold the flop.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:50 PM

preflop is good. fold the flop. you are getting half the odds you need.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:05 PM

I kind of knew that the flop call was spewing... just wanted to confirmthat, and that yall would call from the sb with one other cold caller. My thinking is that it almost ensures a call from the big blind so its like Im getting 3-1. Pair flops a set 12% of the time plus implied odds should make it a reasonable call preflop, no?
Old 06-11-2006, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I kind of knew that the flop call was spewing... just wanted to confirmthat, and that yall would call from the sb with one other cold caller. My thinking is that it almost ensures a call from the big blind so its like Im getting 3-1. Pair flops a set 12% of the time plus implied odds should make it a reasonable call preflop, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

If BB comes along, you're getting more like 13:3. Which is better than 3:1.

I still think it's close, though, and I could go either way on it.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:16 PM

I dont get this hand. The flop fold is obvious to me, and the rest of the streets are obviously standard.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont get this hand. The flop fold is obvious to me, and the rest of the streets are obviously standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

the op probably thought, he doesn't have KK, I'm not drawing dead, I can call. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] stuipd 97.

for real though, fold the flop. a 21/17/x bet into 3 player on the flop, give it up.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:41 AM

Preflop: Against a 21/17/21, I'm folding preflop. I understand we have the button ahead and possibly the BB calling behind. If I did make the call, Im out if I don't hit the set on flop unless a fantastic low flop hits.

Flop: 21/17 bets into 3 of us,I'm out.