Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 06:39 AM

Default How crazy is March Madness

I'm going to Vegas March 16-20. How crazy will it be with the basketball, St. Patrick's Day and spring break all going on that weekend? Will the poker games be as fishy as they were when I was there over Thankgiving weekend.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:41 AM

Default Re: How crazy is March Madness

March Madness brings some of the biggest crowds to Las Vegas. It's right there with the Super Bowl and New Year's Eve.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:53 AM

I've been in Las Vegas for the last 3 St. Patrick's Days (unfortunately I do not have such an chance this year). It's a fun time for sure, we went to freemont the one year, it was a pretty different crowd then the strip, but I think it was a lot more fun. Bands playing and stuff.

Can't really speak for the games, as I was there mostly on a couple's vacation.

There are a lot of conventions and conferences that time of year as well, it's the big season for that, rooms are typically expensive and the place is usually packed.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:39 AM

March Madness is great. It's crazy. I've been there during the Sweet 16 and during the conference championships and it was crazy both times. The sports books are a lot of fun and the poker is great too, if you can get a seat. The weekend before the NCAA tournament might be even more fun than during the tournament itself, with the opportunity to donk bet on all the crazy conference championships, getting some ridiculous spread on Middle Tennessee Mid-Southern-Baptist-Western College versus Eastern Southwest Louisville State along with Duke versus whoever they're going to crush.

March is a good time to be there. Don't expect to get the poker rate on your room though, unless you're a high-stakes player.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:08 PM

I've been to Vegas the last three years for the first weekend of the MM tourney. Its a ZOO. You can't get a seat at the Bellagio (baby NL or limit under 10/20) after 10am without an hour plus wait. in the middle of the afternoon it could be three hours. The Mirage is about the same. Once you DO get a seat the games are fantastic, but variance is higher than usual, given the drunk frat boy any two suited players at the table.

Buckle up, take a larger than normal bankroll, have fun. Oh, and I'll be there again this year.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't expect to get the poker rate on your room though, unless you're a high-stakes player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just booked two rooms at Wynn for opening weekend and got the poker room rate. Have never set foot in Wynn so I certainly didn't get the rate b/c I'm a high roller...
Old 01-19-2006, 01:49 PM

Is that possible without a history of play? I though you had to play before booking a room most anywhere in Vegas.

Greg
Old 01-19-2006, 02:33 PM

Opening tournament weekend is my favorite time in Vegas. It rules. Big room... lots of people... lots of beer... TVs all over the place with all four games on... action on every game and again and halftime... people screaming because Coppin St. just hit a monster three with 8 seconds left to get behind by 24... when the line is 25. It rules.

Oh... and betting moneyline on the 14 seed and then watching them whoop up on Syracuse. And screaming all !@#$ing game so everyone else in the room knows that's exactly what you did.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will the poker games be as fishy as they were when I was there over Thankgiving weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

even more so.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:45 PM

I'll be there March 15th-19th w/ ~20 friends. I'm giddy with anticipation.