Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Fred Thompson for Poker?

Considering that we all benefit from living in a world sustained by the wisdom of Locke, Jefferson and Madison , and considering that our opponents are attempting to stop us from doing what we want in the privacy of our own homes with our own money -- I don’t think that saying that their actions are Fascist like, is that much of a stretch. Remember, they are the offender here. They are trying to tell each and every one of us what to do. That is going to, understandably , tee Americans off.

However, it is probably not profitable to call them names as their indignation will become the focus of the argument, not their intolerable intolerance.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:34 AM

Its an apt description. This isn't FCC compliant. This is not a newspaper, mailed bulletin, or flier. This is supposed to be an open, authentic discussion board. Why take two sentences to describe a certain subset when one or two will do? Maybe you should go back to the schoolyard, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." I have enough that upsets me now, so from now on, much as I hate to do it, and never had to here, just going to put you on ignore. Your puffed up righteous indignation is rather sickening, and arguing serves no point.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its an apt description. This isn't FCC compliant. This is not a newspaper, mailed bulletin, or flier. This is supposed to be an open, authentic discussion board. Why take two sentences to describe a certain subset when one or two will do? Maybe you should go back to the schoolyard, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." I have enough that upsets me now, so from now on, much as I hate to do it, and never had to here, just going to put you on ignore. Your puffed up righteous indignation is rather sickening, and arguing serves no point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me? I'm not indignant at all. You brought me into this by mentioning my name. If I hadn't responded I'd have appeared to have agreed with you by default.

Anyway, I merely suggested that you consider the feelings of other posters. Many Christians here do find it highly offensive to be compared to Nazis, especially when your use of this apparently goes beyond legislation of values.

If you wish to put me on ignore....so be it. Cheers.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Considering that we all benefit from living in a world sustained by the wisdom of Locke, Jefferson and Madison , and considering that our opponents are attempting to stop us from doing what we want in the privacy of our own homes with our own money -- I don’t think that saying that their actions are Fascist like, is that much of a stretch. Remember, they are the offender here. They are trying to tell each and every one of us what to do. That is going to, understandably , tee Americans off.

However, it is probably not profitable to call them names as their indignation will become the focus of the argument, not their intolerable intolerance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said! In any type of duscussion from two people to national politics it is often profitible to make your opponet's views seem extremist. BUT you have to let them create that fondation before you can build on it.

Because this is so prevelant in politics, you are often better focusing on projecting the "everyman" image of rational sanity mixed in with some common sense. Let you opponet get desperate and make mistakes.

What I love about this forum is the very educated, for the most part, opinions held by it's members and the passion that is evident in the posts. BUT that passion can and sadly to say very often does get overwrought.

We already have enough enimies to our cause that we don't need to create a few more from out friends. Remember in many forums there are quite a few people who read but never post. I'd say that ratio is significantly higher here given the welcome most new posters are given.....

D$D
Old 09-01-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is supposed to be an open, authentic discussion board. Why take two sentences to describe a certain subset when one or two will do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this topic bubble up a few times over the past couple of days and want to comment on it.

Even if using the terms you use to describe a small subset of the opposition is accurate (and quite frankly, I think it is terrible word choice), somehow you continue to miss the larger picture. By constantly using words that look like broad personal attacks (on religion in particular), you alienate a lot of people who may be open to our arguments.

This isn't about "Oh well, person XYZ can't handle my language--too bad for them."

It is about working very hard to bring people together, show a level of professionalism in lobbying efforts and not be written off immediately by those in the political arena due to language choice.

When an argument contains such language that is perceived by a listener/reader to be harsh/attacking/etc, I believe that a lot of people will dismiss anything else that comes with it. You risk putting yourself, and by association--online poker legality, in a position that is viewed as fringe (just as you try to describe) and irrelevant by the language you use.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:18 AM

What I want to know is why our (the PPA) lobbyist/chairman is going on national TV and proclaiming his support for someone who won't be anything but hostile to our goals. Maybe he knows something I don't, but I doubt Fred Thompson will do anything to offend the FOF crowd.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I want to know is why our (the PPA) lobbyist/chairman is going on national TV and proclaiming his support for someone who won't be anything but hostile to our goals. Maybe he knows something I don't, but I doubt Fred Thompson will do anything to offend the FOF crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it is a distinction without a difference for most people, and a politicans dodge, but D'Amto has said his support is a personal position, not that as chairman of the PPA.

Given Fred's views on a number of subjects including abortion I would not assume that he is controled by the religious right. I would also not assume that he is pro-poker.

As a "main-stream" Republican, whatever the F@$! that means these days, I feel he is about the only candidate who has a shot against Hillary Obama. Now what shot a Republican candidate has next year is another question. There are some serious people in the party for hopes with Fred, but until he declares and gets tested under fire all they are and will be are hopes.

D$D
Old 09-01-2007, 12:13 PM

I don't think you understand. I would much rather Legislurker called these people Nazis or Fascists rather than ChristaNazis. Why? Because he is using the word "Christ" in his insult, which is a very meaningful word to all Christians. I find it personally insulting and know many more that would as well.

Legislurker:

There are things in life that some people hold so very dear to them that they view it as being more important than their own life. Do you have anything like that? If not, then I don't think you will ever see my, or Frommagio's, point of view.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you understand. I would much rather Legislurker called these people Nazis or Fascists rather than ChristaNazis. Why? Because he is using the word "Christ" in his insult, which is a very meaningful word to all Christians. I find it personally insulting and know many more that would as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that's what I said.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:34 PM

the reason using fascists or Nazis is ridiculous and indefensible is because these people worked within the framework on the current government to get a law passed similar to laws which outlaw dog fighting, using illicit drugs or prostitution. Are people who support these laws fascists or Nazis as well? Most reasonable people would say no, and using the term in the way legislurker while again being incorrect is also apt to turn many reasonable people off who might otherwise be supportive.

Do I like the laws that have been passed? No and I'll do what I can within the law to get them changed but I'm not going to go around spouting off moronic adjectives because I didn't get my way.
Closed Thread