Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 11:01 PM

Default HUSNG: When draws complete

This is a type of situation that comes up with me often, I have tp on the flop and then a draw completes on the turn. I am always scared that the players I am playing against have it because I know they are loose and would call with draws, so I don't want to pay them off. How would you play this turn? On the river when villain bet weakly again I figure he wants a cheap showdown with a weak hand so I raise for value and I hit two pair now so I think I beat most hands he would do this with. Do you agree with the river bet?

Reads: Villain has been limping in on the button regularly. He calls most of my button raises but not all of them. He has been folding to my cbets before this. (this is why I am more inclined to think he has at least a draw when he calls me on the flop)

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t10/t20
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: t1650
BB: t1350

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t60</font>, BB calls t40 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t70)</font>.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t120, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t80</font>, BB calls t80 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t200)</font>.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t280, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets t20</font>, Hero calls t20 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t300)</font>.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t320, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets t40</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t220</font>, BB folds.
Uncalled bets: t180 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: t400
Old 10-17-2007, 11:05 PM

Default Re: HUSNG: When draws complete

raise turn
Old 10-17-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2007, 11:14 PM

why raise the turn?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why raise the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are in a raised pot with TPGK and basically giving him a free card by checking this. Unless he is LAGtarded he shouldn't have anything that hits a draw here, and if he is then his range wide enough that you should be raising here for value anyways.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:20 PM

There are only two hands that made it on the turn, 97 and 74, one of which is *supposed* to be very unlikely (but is never really as unlikely as it's supposed to be).

But there are a lot more hands that picked up a new draw on the turn, so yeah, I think you have to raise here.

To be honest, though, I'm still unclear on what to do in situations like this if you raise the turn and get reraised. I usually end up calling, but you're definitely going to be shown the straight, two pair, or even A8 a significant percentage of the time. Of course, you also get shown stuff like any random 8, any pair with a draw, or even just flat out any pair (including crap like Q3, "hey look, I've got a pair, and I think he's on a draw, so I'm going to just take it down now"), given a sufficiently donkish opponent.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:36 PM

Thank you for the replies, I understand now why I should have raised the turn. I have another question: If instead we imagine that there is a two flush on the flop and the 3rd flush card comes on the turn, villain does the same thing with the minbet do you advocate raising in that situation?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the replies, I understand now why I should have raised the turn. I have another question: If instead we imagine that there is a two flush on the flop and the 3rd flush card comes on the turn, villain does the same thing with the minbet do you advocate raising in that situation?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes i raise, too
mostly for free sd
Old 10-17-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

yes i raise, too
mostly for free sd

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why you would raise for a free straight draw when the board has a 3 flush on it.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 AM

free showdown