Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 04:36 AM

Default ESPN really screwed up in their coverage on Tuesday

They didn't show the hand(they only showed it briefly in the Hold em or Fold em segment) that started Scotty's downfall. It came 4 hands before the Philip Hilm flopped set against Scotty's TPTK hand.

Mon Jul 16 2007 00:50 PST | Posted by BJNemeth

Featured Table: Tuan Lam Wins a 11.46 Million Pot Against Scotty Nguyen
Lee Childs has the button in seat 9, Tuan Lam raises from the small blind to 480,000, Scotty Nguyen reraises from the big blind to 1.48 million, and Lam thinks for about a minute before he calls. There is already 3.06 million in the pot.

The flop comes Kh5s4h, Lam checks, Nguyen bets 700,000, and Lam calls. There is now 4.46 million in the pot.

The turn card pairs the board with the Kd , and both players check.

The river card is the Jd, Lam bets 1 million, Nguyen raises to 3.5 million, and Lam goes into the tank for about five minutes before he eventually calls. Nguyen shows 4d3d for two pair, kings and fours, and Lam shows 10h10s for a higher two pair, kings and tens.

Tuan Lam wins the pot worth 11.46 million.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:26 AM

Default Re: ESPN really screwed up in their coverage on Tuesday

THAT'S the hand Scotty misplayed. All this talk about the AQ vs. set of 5s hand is BS.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:12 AM

Scotty misplayed? How? Because he got called?

I think it's an awesome play from start to finish.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 AM

Yeah, they really screwed up. Norm could have gotten at least two more "What is Scotty doing? He could coast to the FT!" in on this hand.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:40 PM

It was a good play but, not so close to the final table. Scotty Nguyen doesn't have to bluff so much when he is the favorite. Bluff for some small pots and don't get so involved in huge pots unless you have it. That's my strategy at least. But then again I'm not the Prince of Poker and I havn't won the Main Event so I'm probably talking out of my ass.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:59 PM

This was not a good play -- turned his hand into a bluff (not that had much showdown value anyway, but it had a bit), and gave an opponent he knew had some sort of hand based on his flop call 3.6 : 1 odds to call his river raise.

If this play had been made by Rahme, we'd be stringing him up by his nipples. Let's not get starstruck here -- not a good play be Scotty.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was a good play but, not so close to the final table. Scotty Nguyen doesn't have to bluff so much when he is the favorite. Bluff for some small pots and don't get so involved in huge pots unless you have it. That's my strategy at least. But then again I'm not the Prince of Poker and I havn't won the Main Event so I'm probably talking out of my ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaach! I keep reading this over and over. Don't get involved in huge pots when you can cruise to FT. Bullcrap! You need 200 million plus chips to win the ME so just having 18M at the FT is nothing. Plus, it's a 5 handed table he's on. What do you want him to do? Just get blinded every round and fold all cards? Play tight? That's for people who only care about moving up a spot for more money.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:36 PM

Look, I love Scotty, but he's got 43s against a PF raiser who called his r/r and his big flop bet. Even if Scotty just calls the river on a hunch he saves 3.5M. Yeah you have to take chances. But what indication did Scotty have that Lam didn't really like his hand?? All Lam needs is a K, J or 5 to take this down.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look, I love Scotty, but he's got 43s against a PF raiser who called his r/r and his big flop bet. Even if Scotty just calls the river on a hunch he saves 3.5M. Yeah you have to take chances. But what indication did Scotty have that Lam didn't really like his hand?? All Lam needs is a K, J or 5 to take this down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about one specific hand. I just keep reading the same thing over and over - Scotty can just cruise to FT and with his experience he will win it. That kind of thinking is so bad I can barely put into words what I am thinking. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2007, 02:47 PM

PF raiser from the SB means little. When he called it meant something. NOW why scotty would think anything that beats him would fold the river, is a mystery. Thin value bet for A-high maybe?