Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Elezra vs. Baxter HSP...Huh?

I know this was awhile ago, but, uh...

They both flop, sets, get it all in on the turn, and Baxter has the higher set (no redraws for either). The question is whether to run the river once or twice, and...

Elezra says once.

What the &*^%#$?!
Old 10-06-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Elezra vs. Baxter HSP...Huh?

You dont know much about poker do you?
Old 10-06-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-06-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, never mind.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity (and because I don't know much about poker), I was wondering if you could post a response that is more specific, and less designed to simply perpetuate the persona of an internet know it all douchebag.

I mean, I get the fact that you're some sort of poker stud and all, but what I need is the acumen that you so clearly possess.

Please, clearly explain what your point is.

I promise, after you do so, I'll go back to my little world that involves no understanding of poker whatsoever.

Except, of course, for that knowledge that you will so graciously impart.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:59 PM

Run it twice is to reduce variance, and no chances increase or decrease. Set vs set is a situation nobody can get away from, thus there is no reason to reduce variance.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:44 PM

Oh my God. Has this thread really gone on this long without someone pointing out that running it once, twice, 25 times makes no difference in terms of EV?

For shame 2+2.

It sounds like the guy right above me eluded to that point but lets be clear: No matter how many times you run a poker hand, any hand, your EV remains the same while your variance decreases.

If they run it twice the underset hits the one outter twice as often, yes. But he also wins half the money as he is 100% guaranteed to lose 1/2 the pot everytime he manages to suck out.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh my God. Has this thread really gone on this long without someone pointing out that running it once, twice, 25 times makes no difference in terms of EV?

For shame 2+2.

It sounds like the guy right above me eluded to that point but lets be clear: No matter how many times you run a poker hand, any hand, your EV remains the same while your variance decreases.

If they run it twice the underset hits the one outter twice as often, yes. But he also wins half the money as he is 100% guaranteed to lose 1/2 the pot everytime he manages to suck out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Christ. I love it when someone here adopts such a condescending tone over a point that is clearly open to interpretation.

I'm sorry to point this out, but nobody has brought up EV. Everything is not always a question of EV. In this case, we're talking about variance, obviously.

In the Real World (read: not the Poker Theorist Unlimited Bankroll Fantasy World), a better player will look to reduce variance, particular putting oneself into situations like set over set.

Once in that situation, most will seek to reduce the variance.

But I, unlike you, could be wrong.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For shame 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, this thread was tilting me hard. Gotta love TV forum.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:19 PM

All this other discussion is useless, to answer your question you had it right here:

Is the point, then, that there is no way on God's green Earth that Baxter would be dumb enough to run it twice, and he was just resigned to it getting run just once?