Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 03:17 PM

Default $16 - AK vs UTG raiser

How is this?
Raise the UTG raiser preflop?
What about the cbet?
No reads/stats yet.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) by Hand Converter CG

MP1 (t1460)
MP2 (t220)
MP3 (t1470)
CO (t1780)
Button (t1470)
SB (t1480)
Hero (t1530)
UTG (t2590)
UTG+1 (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t80</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t240</font>, UTG calls t160.

Flop: (t490) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t2350</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t3090
Old 11-10-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: $16 - AK vs UTG raiser

I just call preflop, I dont bet flop.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:26 PM

Yeah, reraising here is kinda bad.
Even if villain is bad, he should have a sort of narrow range here, so RR is not that much for value.
Plus, putting in 1/6th of your stack OOP with AK isn't too good.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:31 PM

I don't think re-raising pre is that bad but I will usually call in this spot to disguise my hand a bit. Also that's a pretty bad flop to cbet so I would be checking. Too many villain's hands peel the flop to make it worth it to bet.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:31 PM

I thought about calling, but I find myself playing too scared/passive with good hands lately, so I decided to play it more aggressive.

Anyone would reraise here?
Old 11-10-2007, 03:34 PM

with reads I would, readless I just take a more passive line. I don't think re-raising is bad, just my preference to flat. Don't think one is really superior to the other.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about calling, but I find myself playing too scared/passive with good hands lately, so I decided to play it more aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

AK is only good provided you connect on the flop, which only happens a third of the time. Even if I know that the initial raiser is a powerdonk I still flat here. It's way too early to be playing big pots with a drawing hand IMO.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:50 PM

I think you are right to try to play your good hands more aggressively - if it is to: narrow the field down, take the pot down then, or get more money in the pot preflop (getting more value out of your premium hands). In this position here the UTG may shove it, although he is probably more likely to call. Most of the time you are going to be playing a hand OOP that relies on a good flop for it's strength. You have a 1 in 3 chance of hitting TPTK; and if the villain does not hold TP weaker kicker, then you are not going to get paid off. The reraise is going to create a bigger pot on the flop - so you are more likely to get all the money in if the right combination of cards occurs - however I'm not sure these narrow set of circumstances justifies the reraise.

Apologies for repeating some of what Towelie said, it wasn't there when I first started typing this.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are right to try to play your good hands more aggressively - if it is to: narrow the field down, take the pot down then, or get more money in the pot preflop (getting more value out of your premium hands). In this position here the UTG may shove it, although he is probably more likely to call. Most of the time you are going to be playing a hand OOP that relies on a good flop for it's strength. You have a 1 in 3 chance of hitting TPTK; and if the villain does not hold TP weaker kicker, then you are not going to get paid off. The reraise is going to create a bigger pot on the flop - so you are more likely to get all the money in if the right combination of cards occurs - however I'm not sure these narrow set of circumstances justifies the reraise.

Apologies for repeating some of what Towelie said, it wasn't there when I first started typing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, that makes sense.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just call preflop, I dont bet flop.

[/ QUOTE ]