Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 09-10-2007, 04:56 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller
Default PNL Study Group Day 7: The REM Process \"Intro\" and \"R is for Range\"

Back in session...

The first step of the REM Process is to put your opponents on ranges of hands. This is one of the most important concepts in poker. So let's talk hand ranges.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:10 AM

Default Re: PNL Study Group Day 7: The REM Process \"Intro\" and \"R is for Range\"

Jack [censored] ten.
They always have jack [censored] ten.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:29 AM

Default Re: PNL Study Group Day 7: The REM Process \"Intro\" and \"R is for Range

[ QUOTE ]
Jack [censored] ten.
They always have jack [censored] ten.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft!

IMO ranging is a process of elimination rather than being a process of compilation as the group of hands he "could have" is almost always too big to quantify whereas the group of hands he "really shouldnt have" is usually much easier to define.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:36 AM

Default Re: PNL Study Group Day 7: The REM Process \"Intro\" and \"R is for Range\"

A while ago one of my friends said "if JT makes the nuts, then someone has JT". I've several times verified this to be true.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Re: PNL Study Group Day 7: The REM Process \"Intro\" and \"R is for Range

Reverse is true. If JT does not make the nuts, someone still has JT. Indeeed, if there is someone in a hand, he probably has JT.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:15 AM

Sorry, can someone give me the jist of whats going on here, or maybe i just need to wait for the discussion to start and see what it is
Old 09-10-2007, 07:42 AM

[x] hero always has AK

[x] villian always has FD
Old 09-10-2007, 10:56 AM

Putting opponents on a range of hands is the most difficult thing for me to do. I don't know where to begin. For the first couple years in minbet poker I got caught up in the popular attempt to put someone on an exact hand. Then the next couple years in SNGs, I'd assign a range based on pretty much nothing in particular that consisted of "top 10%, top 13%, etc".

Does it just take observation over time to develop a feel for what a particular opponent may open with, or call with, or raise with?

To make it more confusing, its mentioned somewhere in the book that if a hand is possible, don't rule it out. Its too early in the morning to go find the book, but it was something like, if 85o makes the nuts and villain is betting strongly, reconsider your assigned range.

Maybe I just need more practice, but I understand I cannot calculate my equity without assinging a range. Then again, maybe its just the nature of the micros that makes this part difficult.

Onaflag.........
Old 09-10-2007, 12:56 PM

I think it is very interesting that the basic concepts are seemingly glossed over. Range is SO important.

Why is it that in every article or interview that Aba does he says NL is all about putting an opponent on a range of hands? He then says it’s about the E and M.

I realize that it’s a hard topic to discuss. It takes tons of experience to "know" what ranges to assign to different players. If one wants to become a better player, they must constantly assign ranges- in and out of hands.

Perhaps we could through some HH in here of typical situations and discuss how we arrive at the range for the specific opponent. I would start, but I have no access to PT right now.

Ret
Old 09-10-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is very interesting that the basic concepts are seemingly glossed over. Range is SO important.

Why is it that in every article or interview that Aba does he says NL is all about putting an opponent on a range of hands? He then says it’s about the E and M.

I realize that it’s a hard topic to discuss. It takes tons of experience to "know" what ranges to assign to different players. If one wants to become a better player, they must constantly assign ranges- in and out of hands.

Perhaps we could through some HH in here of typical situations and discuss how we arrive at the range for the specific opponent. I would start, but I have no access to PT right now.

Ret

[/ QUOTE ]

aba is pretty sick at note-taking , if youve watched his videos on cardrunners , you can see how many notes he takes in a small span of time , in about 20 min (playing HU) , he already has enough notes to tell about a persons playing style/tendencies and makes adjustments accordingly ...