Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2007, 07:17 AM

Default Re: 50nl FTP - Reraised pot, but he checks behind flop?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some reasons why I limp;
1) Your always OOP, this is a BIG downside
2) If you limp you have direct odds to hit your set
3) Your usually in trouble if anybody decides to call preflop.

Reasons to raise;
1) You believe that its very likely to take it down preflop because villain has a tendency to limp/fold.
2) You think that there's a high chance villain will play fit or fold with better small PP's (big+).

Basically I need a decent read to raise here and my default is to limp.

Did I miss anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, building the pot to get full stacks in when you hit a set.

dont worry though, that's only 99% of the reason why this is a raise preflop

and being OOP is bad when you have a hand that isnt retardedly simple to play postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh somehow I forgot that part, I'll edit it in.

Do you really think building a pot is a such a big plus?? I'd say that being OOP the entire hand when your almost certain you'd get called in atleast one spot is a much bigger disadvantage. Also being OOP with a simple hand to play doesn't mean that it negates the disadvantages of playing OOP (ie. cbetting becomes less profitable, harder to extract, villains have a bigger tendency to play back -I swear people love to call me IP even donkeys-)...

I often raise any PP from UTG-btn and I have a big tendency to raise whenever I play (23/20 stats or so) but completing with small PP's is something I recently changed. I just don't think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, I usually already have a image that I'm crazy agressive (meh) so if I raise from the blinds I always get atleast 1 caller who's not exactly a nice 'fit or fold' type of player. So it might be my image that makes this a bad idea to do because playing OOP against a villain thats after your blood with a marginal hand (most of the time) is a bad idea.

Now if you usually have a very nitty image I can see raising to take it down, but pot building should be a minor consideration not a major on IMO.

Edit; This doesn't mean I HATE raising, I just prefer completing.
Meh can't edit my last post anymore, so just imagine 'pot building' is included.