Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 04:59 AM

Default Quotes/aphorisms that have actually helped you in life

For me, it's a quote from Beowulf. Beowulf finally realizes what it is he's facing and after a night of drinking and partying, (preparing for his final battle with Grendel), he goes down to the beach and plants his sword in the tide, leaving it.

As he heads off to fight Grendel, he is asked, "why do you leave your sword?" and he answers "because you can't fight the sea with a sword".

I cannot believe how many times in my life that quote has popped into my head because it was relevant and helped me to deal with a situation.

You cannot fight the sea with a sword.

PS: If you respond, even just to comment, please include a quote or aphorism that has actually helped you in life. You don't even have to explain, but please give the source.

I have a couple more that I'll follow up with tomorrow.

natedogg
Old 02-14-2007, 05:25 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default Re: Quotes/aphorisms that have actually helped you in life

I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details.
-Albert Einstein

If we keep doing what we’re doing, we’re going to keep getting what were getting.
-Stephen Covey

Thus, the task is, not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.
-Erwin Schrodinger

Docendo discimus
We learn by teaching.
-Latin Proverb.

The first one very commonly gives me goosebumps.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:39 AM

Nate,

I'd be interested in a few stories where you think that quote helped you.

Personally, as a grad student I find this quote to be extremely important:

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
- Einstein

It's pretty clear to me that successful students, as far as getting a job and doing well in grad school after the classes are over, spend their time thinking on working on things. The unsuccessful students tend to continue trying to learn things. They are the ones that tend to take forever to finish, or they never do, despite the fact that they work and work and work.

For those that read my other thread, I think this is one reason that I haven't been a total failure as far as grad school goes. I have come up with some nice ideas, not as many as I would like naturally, that people seem to like. Despite not having finished anything completely the potential is there.

Even outside of academia, I think creative thought is majorly helpful. For example, when fixing something it is often hugely beneficial to figure out how to do it rather than just looking up how and following the directions.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:58 AM

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven." -- Sermon on the Mount, Matthew, Chapter 5
Old 02-14-2007, 05:58 AM

Default Baywatch

[ QUOTE ]
Quotes/aphorisms that have actually helped you in life. For me, it's a quote from Beowulf. Beowulf finally realizes what it is he's facing and after a night of drinking and partying, (preparing for his final battle with Grendel), he goes down to the beach and plants his sword in the tide, leaving it.
<font color="white"> . </font>
As he heads off to fight Grendel, he is asked, "why do you leave your sword?" and he answers "because you can't fight the sea with a sword".
I cannot believe how many times in my life that quote has popped into my head because it was relevant and helped me to deal with a situation.
You cannot fight the sea with a sword.

[/ QUOTE ]Can you, please, clarify if Beowulf meant to use the sword to fight the sea in the first place ?

Because, otherwise, I admit I fail to see the significance of his statement, or why he planted his sword in the tide, leaving it there. He could have planted there his nail clipper and exclaim "You cannot fight the sea with a nail clipper".

Mickey Brausch
Old 02-14-2007, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Baywatch

"Distance lends perspective"--I printed this out in block letters and had it on my bedroom wall for years.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:00 AM

I'll take a different angle here;

Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty [for threaded screws, bolts, etc.]

Never Eat Shredded Wheat [how i figure out what direction i'm going in]

"good ideas are worthless. hell, i could put 10 people in a room all day, and i bet i could get a hundred great ideas. it's actually doing something with the idea that is the hard part."

and

"if you have a truely good idea, finding money is the easiest part"

-Sam Shelton, professor of mine during college (designs the olympic torches now)
Old 02-14-2007, 09:31 AM

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it"

Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven, standing over Gene Hackman who is pleading for his life: "I don't deserve to die"

"But here, upon this bank and shoal of time,
We'ld jump the life to come" Macbeth. The project in mind does not have to be the brutal slaughter of all your rivals for this to be useful.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:36 AM

"Remember now what you are about to fight for."
General George Washington

This quote reminds me that before I do anything important in life, it is valuable to take a moment to pause and reflect on my goals and aspirations for what I am about to do, in other words, what I am about to fight for.

Another patriotic one, the inscription on the tomb of the unknown soldier in D.C.:
"Beneath the stone rests a soldier of Washington's army who died to give you liberty."

This is just a powerful statement... as cliche as it sounds, I sometimes just have to sit back and appreciate those who have died for me to enjoy the freedom I enjoy.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:58 AM

When in an argument with your woman, ask yourself:
"Would I rather be right, or happy"
-Dad

Unless you're absolutely, positively, 100% certain she's pregnant, never ask a woman when she's due.
-Mom