Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 05:48 AM

Default Attacking BB in 5cd

Just looking for some thoughts on a situation which has occured quite a lot in my recent limit 5cd experience.

Im in the BB and its folded round to the button, who open raises every time this occurs.
What holding should i have in order to a) call, b) 3 bet.

On the other hand, is open raising every time when its folded to you on the button a profitable play or what holding should you have on the button in order to open raise.

Any thoughts would be greatly appretiated

AK
Old 03-14-2007, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Attacking BB in 5cd

serious? he raises EVERY time? or is that hyperbole, and you really mean he raised 4 times in a row / seems to raise most of the time?

this seems too good to be true. please clarify if im missing something here. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

if he really is raising every time, then i cant see myself ever folding, getting 3.5:1.

draw 5 if you have to. 3 bet him with any decent pair.

lol, what is this guy's screenname? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

*actually, maybe it would be best to fold a few of your worst hands, so as not to discourage him.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just looking for some thoughts on a situation which has occured quite a lot in my recent limit 5cd experience.

[/ QUOTE ]
a) what site is this?
b) am i getting trolled here?
[ QUOTE ]
is open raising every time when its folded to you on the button a profitable play

[/ QUOTE ]
no
[ QUOTE ]
what holding should you have on the button in order to open raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
something like 10-10 vs loose callers, 8-8 vs tighties?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:44 AM

I should have said about 80% of the time
I'm finding myself folding unless i have jj+
I don't like the fact that i'll be oop post draw with a weak pair if i start calling with 66, 77, etc.
What kind of hands should i be 3 betting with???
Thanks
AK
Old 03-14-2007, 10:02 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ah, that seems more plausible!

well, he is dealt a pair only 50% of the time. Its less than 10% that he starts with a 4flush or OESD. The balance must be 4 facecard, A-K, cathop, type hands (or worse!) Ultimately, you must realize that hands like 77,88,99 are still a BIG favorite over his range.

I share your reluctance to call mid pairs against normal raising ranges, but against this opponent, you are giving up too much by folding them. You wont have to win very often to show profit over folding (from the BB). A "normal" range for him would have him raising ~1/4 of the hands. Those are his top 25%. If he is raising more like 3/4 of them, then clearly he has sub-premium hands most of the time (~2 out of 3).

I think most hands you play vs him should be for the 3bet, seeing as he is usually drawing, either to 2pr or complete hand, to beat you. So make sure to charge him for the privilage of sucking out.

My super un-mathematical advice would be to 3bet him on any face pair or better, calling the 55-TT type, probably also 22-55.

Given the 3.5-1 price you are already offered, and that mid-pairs are favorites agaisnt his range, i think you are giving up too easily. Being OOP kinda sucks, but it wont eat up ALL your EV. Sure you will make the odd bad call postdraw, but you'll still come out way ahead.

I would like to have a 2nd opinion on this. I havent really encountered too many of these "button bullies", so i havent much experience there. Can anyone give a more refined range (Bayes?) to call/3bet, for villain stealing 80%? And what about 70%, 60%, 50%, 40%?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:58 AM

* clearly its important to differentiate between a guy who you've seen raise 4 out of 5, and a guy who you've seen raise 40 out of 50.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:58 PM

call with 10's, reraise with kings. If after doing this i have some better reads I'd adjust to calling with 88+ and AK if he's really agressive and reraising with Jacks. It could go the other way though.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:39 PM

If you three-bet him with less than a pair, draw two, and bet out, what is his calling range if you do this move occasionally, but not too often to be obvious (say, no more than once every 25 hands and probably less often)?

Does he continuation-bet a lot after the draw? If so, how does he respond to a check-raise?

What will he call you with if you call his raise, draw three, and donk bet after the draw?

Open-raising always on the button is profitable if the blinds fold too much or if they bet out after the draw with their good hands and check-fold their bad hands and missed draws.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:41 PM

against a reasonable player who open raises say any pair or better on the button i like regularly 3 betting my small pairs drawing 3 and betting post draw

drawing 1 or 2 when bluffing is less convincing

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 03-25-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My super un-mathematical advice would be to 3bet him on any face pair or better, calling the 55-TT type, probably also 22-55.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the default post-draw play here when you do not improve?