Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Advanced networking question

OK, here's what I want to do, you tell me if it's possible. I want to have a poker computer and a computer network both with their own separate cable modems for internet access. I'd like my poker computer to be able to access the computer network, but other computers should not be able to access my poker comp. I'd probably do this by connecting my poker comp through a router to my "server" comp via a second ethernet port.

Can I accomplish this just by properly configuring a router? Do I need special software to keep things secure? Any cool programs out there that might make this easier?

I also plan on implementing the advice given in this post. So if what I want to do compromises any of those security steps, let me know.

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-13-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Advanced networking question

You're asking for something that I do not believe can be done using "normal" techniques with home "routers" but I am not as experienced with setting up 'true' routing with home "routers" and what capabilities exist there.

I'm sure it is probably straight old fashioned RIP on the 'routers', but how to setup two discrete networks to connect to one another by connecting the routers together - I can't say.

I keep putting "router" in quotation because not all of the home devices are actually capable of true routing across multiple subnets which is what would be required to make work what you're trying to do.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:55 PM

I guess this could be possible depending on what OS the poker and server pcs are using. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard with active directory on the server pc, or perhaps even Windows XP Pro on the poker pc. Unless I just forgot everything I know about permissions and networks, which could be true.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 PM

Don't use two cable modems, that negates all the speed you can get from your lan. Get a separate firewall and put it between your local network and the poker computer. Do not allow any incoming traffic to pass through the firewall. Voila.

Edit: You might need to give it static ip if your using DHCP for the rest of your network.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:12 AM

pretty much what nuclear said. theyre just switches with some routing capabilities. so if you do really need some routing protocols, no.

but im not really sure if you need cuz i dont really understand what you're trying to say. you might be able to setup these routes statically.

youre better off getting an expert to setup your network and secure your machines unless you wanna spend a day reading technical docs. theres no program to do this automatically. theres quite a bit to configure.