Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Biggest Waste of Talent in Sports History?

[ QUOTE ]
John Daly gets no love? The guy did win a couple of majors, which is more than most pro golfers can claim. But still a waste of enormous talent not to have accomplished more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Always thought of him as more of an overachiever if anything. Guy had problems but sobered up a few times and ran super hot for a PGA and a British. I just never viewed saw him as a underperforming talented player.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:53 PM

Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent

[ QUOTE ]
Always thought of him as more of an overachiever if anything. Guy had problems but sobered up a few times and ran super hot for a PGA and a British. I just never viewed saw him as a underperforming talented player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you're forgetting the year he was contending for the British Open and seemed to be going into DT's during the final round.

I really don't think he's the most egregious example of squandered talent, but he's certainly worthy of honorable mention.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:38 AM

LOL at Jordan. You could make a much better case for the exact opposite, he was the person who got the most out of his abilities. His mental strength is what set him apart from everybody else.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:32 AM

Derrick Coleman. The #1 NBA draft pick in '90, I thought if this guy had the drive of someone like MJ, he would have been a perennial All-Star, probably an all-time great. Incredible God given talent, but he just put it on cruise control for his entire career.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
alexandre daigle is the correct answer.

he was among the best qmjhl players ever, he received the highest salary for a prospect ever, the senators were investigated for tanking the season to draft him first and he had an excellent rookie season as an 18 year old.

then he gave interviews where he said, 'i don't enjoy hockey, but i can't make this much money doing anything else', he started a promotions company in an attempt to quit hockey, actually quit hockey for two years in an attempt to become a hollywood star and skipped practices to hang out with pamela anderson. he's still kicking around as a professional hockey player, but in switzerland.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. He's the first person I thought of. I still laugh when I see the guy in my section that wears his jersey.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:08 AM

Ted Williams. The guy leaves baseball during his prime to go fight in "World" War or something. Where's the dedication to his sport??? lolol

On a serious note, I don't think anyone has mentioned rick ankiel. The dude was a lefty who threw like 97, and he had a great start to his career. And then he started throwing like 5 wild pitches a game. He's now been converted to an outfielder.

In his second season, he had a 3.50 ERA and struck out 194 batters in 175 innings. He has pitched 34 innings since then, the last being in 2004.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ted Williams. The guy leaves baseball during his prime to go fight in "World" War or something. Where's the dedication to his sport??? lolol

On a serious note, I don't think anyone has mentioned rick ankiel. The dude was a lefty who threw like 97, and he had a great start to his career. And then he started throwing like 5 wild pitches a game. He's now been converted to an outfielder.

In his second season, he had a 3.50 ERA and struck out 194 batters in 175 innings. He has pitched 34 innings since then, the last being in 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

He will make the majors as a contributing outfielder, the book isn't closed on him yet.

For my money, Doc Gooden is the answer..but maybe because I'm a Mets fan.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:28 AM

Sydd Finch
Old 07-15-2007, 08:15 AM

Charles Rogers deserves to be mentioned more. Dude was flat out unbelievable in college and flamed out so, so hard for a #2 pick. Him spiking the ball after a reception when he wasn't touched in the NFL would have been hilarious if I wasn't a Lions fan. He assumed he was down like he would've been in college. Millions of bucks thrown his way and he couldn't even learn the rules.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:51 AM

Bo Jackson definitely has to be up there. Sure he was a great great running back, but imagine how much more he could have accomplished if he hadn't been on a [censored] team. To me that is wasted talent.