Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: A Halo3 review that is actually funny

bogey, just by sales it is obvious that poker video games are bought and played, and it's obvious that it is for entertainment only. Similar to 1 player IMO.

Online poker, however, is for a more competitive experience w/ something to win and lose for (bragging/level for online gaming). That was my analogy. You can escape and have a good time playing against a computer, but it's not the same intensity as playing online.

From my samples size (friends in the 20-30 range) everyone who has an internet connection plays games primarily online. The people I know who don't play online don't do it because internet is too expensive, not because they only want to play one player. We obviously have much different experiences and neither one is going to change the others mind, but the staggering stat has to be that over the first 24 hrs of H3 being released over 1 million unique users logged online to play. Obviously online play is more prevelant than you think.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously online play is more prevelant than you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never stated it wasn't prevalent. I was addressing the bogus statement that 1 in 1000 people play Halo single player. I was stating that single player is more prevalent than you think, not that multiplayer wasn't prevalent.

A million people signed in... Halo 3 has sold $300 million in it's first week. At $60/copy that's 5 million people. I'd wager the "first 24 hours" were the most fanatic of the 5 million and heavily tilted towards online play.

--Edit: "In the twenty four hour period after the game’s release, the game had already done $170 million in sales."

So, first 24 hours sold 2.8 million, of which 1 million logged in. So, ratio of single player to multi was 1.8/1.0.
--End Edit:

How many of the 5 million people have signed in more than 1 or 2 times over the week? I have no idea. There's no way at this point to say whether online buyers are the dominate buyer though. And that's just Halo, which has grown into a multiplayer beast.

Let's look at GTA. A huge, HUGE seller....and single player. If we took GTA as representative of the average player, then we'd conclude online play meant next to nothing to sales.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:42 PM

bogey1, you are using anecdotal evidence to form what you4 are claiming to be a 'fact'. Anecdotal evidence means just about nothing. I have a sample size in the hundreds for the Halo series (not just 3), and not a single person played the game exclusively for single player. But again, this means just as little as your 4 man sample size because of inherent sample bias and the fact that's just anecdotal crap.

As far as the 1million playing online within 20 hours. That was unique players. And as far as the millions of sales - those include the 1.7million preorders. Many of those preorders were not delivered/picked up on the first day, including 100% of preorders through the mail. Again, there's no telling how many people actually had Halo 3 in their hands within 20 hours of launch. All that's for certain is that 1million of them were playing online multiplayer.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bogey1, you are using anecdotal evidence to form what you are claiming to be a 'fact'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't claim fact status at all. I just said, based on my limited sample, single player was important. And then I also said that your (whoever the other poster was) experience was likely in the other direction.

I pretty expliclity laid out that the sample sizes meant nothing as a point of countering the absurdity of the statement that only 1 in 1000 people play Halo for the single player experience.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:08 PM

One other thing - this was "exclusively for the offline single player mode." This means never playing online, not playing with friends, not playing coop online, etc.. I agree there are plenty of people that purchased it for the single player, but those that will never play coop [by any means] and will never play online is extremely miniscule. And this is the sort of gameplay this review focused on.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but those that will never play coop [by any means] and will never play online is extremely miniscule.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're claiming anecdotal evidence as "fact".
Old 10-05-2007, 03:27 PM

You seemed to accept that most people play online. Suprised you have an issue with the claim that of those that do not play online, some significant portion do play offline with friends/family. Perhaps it is anecdotal. I thought it was established that there aren't a whole lot of people who 'lock away' their consoles, never playing online, never playing with friends or family, but who also rush out to buy new releases. Seems kind of like an extremely atypical situation. But yeah, you're right - I don't have any "proof" that that's not an extremely common situation. Ok.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are using anecdotal evidence to form what you are claiming to be a 'fact'. Anecdotal evidence means just about nothing. I have a sample size in the hundreds for the Halo series (not just 3), and not a single person played the game exclusively for single player.

Those that will never play coop [by any means] and will never play online is extremely miniscule.

[/ QUOTE ]