Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Stiffing

MC and ElD,

Actually there is a bit more to the story, my bad.

After she tells me we stiffed her, I told her I'd look into it, but I was pretty sure we left a tip the week before and would never stiff anyone. We sit down to eat. This time I am with my regular 3 other guys I lunched with. I relay the story to them and we start to try to figure out what went wrong. I had done the bill the week before(which I often do for the sole reason of making sure to not leave a crappy tip) so I was sure it was taken care of, I just couldn't figure out/remember how it transpired.

When the bill came, I saw the 18% gratuity thing on it and it all came back to me from the week before. Unfortunately the awkwardness of this weeks service was palpable to the point where we all knew our name was now mud, so we just left that day and basically just kind of started going to other places.

In truth, it probably could've been resolved better, but it was also one of those someone-accuses-you-of-something-but-even-though-you-are-cleared-of-any-wrongdoing-you-are-still-looked-at-differently things.

Also, regarding the $.45: It sounds like his intention was efficiency, but he can't expect everyone to see that at face value. Not to mention, he runs the risk of just blowing an hour plus of great service with a move that could easily get someones nose bent out of shape for nothing more than principle. The $.45 means nothing, but I completely agree with your "I want my $.45" tack.

Question: Had he brought the correct change, would he have gotten $45-50?

Speaking for myself, $111.00 would have scored a bigger tip and I definitely would have noticed.

Edit: Now that I think of it, this was also a goodbye lunch to an employee that my Principal and THE Principal both attended and neither picked up the $200 stinking tab. THE Principal is worth millions, held court the entire time we were there, and grabbed the bill and forked over a $20 and passed it along when it arrived.
Standard, but I never understand this...
Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 PM

Most cabbies are making more then minimum wage before tips right?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most cabbies are making more then minimum wage before tips right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cabbies don't make a wage, they earn it themselves.

I just read an article yesterday stating the average NYC cabbie works 5-6 hours before he starts making money for himself.

I guess how it works is, a few people own the majority of the hackney plates in large bunches and rent them all out.

It also said, in the end all cabbies basically make minimum wage. End of story.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 PM

I was at a bar in Montreal order three drinks it comes to $18 give bartender a 20. As she reaches for the cahsier I say "keep the change" she responds "you realize this is only a 10% tip". I respond "Don't worry I'll tip you out later." She says "well a lot of people say that and don't" I say "Okay" and walk away obviously don't tip her again for the rest of the night.

If I wasn't drunk or felt like getting into it I probably would have just been like uhhh WTF give me $2 back bitch.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:25 PM

Was she topless?

On a related note, I just just became privvy to the fact that bartenders absolutely [censored] HATE when you sit there with money hanging out of your hand waiting to get their attention at a crowded bar.
I would have never suspected this and was always under the impression it was acceptable, but I guess eye contact and a friendly up-nod when acknowledged is much better received.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As she reaches for the cahsier I say "keep the change" she responds "you realize this is only a 10% tip".

[/ QUOTE ]

"You realize if you had paid attention in math you might not be stuck begging drunks for tips?"
Old 11-06-2007, 11:34 PM

Anyone who doesn't tip is a giant d-bag imo. Aww, your food took too long to get here? Why not leave a tip anyway instead of perpetuating the sh*ttiness in the world? We have enough already as it is. I can't believe the nits sometimes. Leave a [censored] tip you cheapskate. If you have a complaint write a letter.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was at a bar in Montreal order three drinks it comes to $18 give bartender a 20. As she reaches for the cahsier I say "keep the change" she responds "you realize this is only a 10% tip". I respond "Don't worry I'll tip you out later." She says "well a lot of people say that and don't" I say "Okay" and walk away obviously don't tip her again for the rest of the night.

If I wasn't drunk or felt like getting into it I probably would have just been like uhhh WTF give me $2 back bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so horrendously noobish... you know the tipping etiquette is different in canada right? you tip per drink, your tip was a stiff, i'm amazed you got served the rest of the night.

how do you people seriously not tip per drink at a bar? wtf? amateur drinkers i say
Old 11-06-2007, 11:41 PM

not to drag this on but re: "double standards wrt tipping" ...

ARE YOU PEOPLE [censored] KIDDING ME

pick your battles ffs... if you want to combat double standards and illogic in modern day american life try paying attention to the idiots you're voting for and the bullsh*t news coverage you suck down on tv, ughhhh you nits make me sick, do you people have friends? is there like a large collection of non-tippers out there, tearing it up, not-tipping everywhere they go? god i hope i never accidentally have to eat dinner / take a cab / etc with any of you

wtf leave your fking tip you nits, act like a god damn human being for once in your stupid selfrighteous lives blahhhhhh

i gotta go read smp now to clear my mind wtf
Old 11-06-2007, 11:46 PM

Three posts in a row, very nice.