Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Does HR4411 affect neteller?

NT has been blocked in Maryland for some time. Maryland said "you can't use NT", now you can't. I'm curious how it will be different when the US says "you can't use NT"
Old 07-13-2006, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure that they would not be able to prevent you from using Neteller, as neteller is a legitimate company traded on the UK market

[/ QUOTE ]

PartyGaming is also a legitimate company traded on the UK market, as is 888.com, but that status isn't going to matter at all if this bill becomes law.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NT has been blocked in Maryland for some time. Maryland said "you can't use NT", now you can't. I'm curious how it will be different when the US says "you can't use NT"

[/ QUOTE ]

When I said the US has no jurisdiction on Neteller, what I was saying was that the U.S. cannot tell Neteller who to do business with outside of U.S. borders, as it is an offshore company dealing with other offshore companies.

I know Maryland has strict state laws and banks don't do transactions with NeTeller, but FirePay works there just fine and can be used to accomplish the same thing, so I'm really not sure what the deal is there.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure that they would not be able to prevent you from using Neteller, as neteller is a legitimate company traded on the UK market

[/ QUOTE ]

PartyGaming is also a legitimate company traded on the UK market, as is 888.com, but that status isn't going to matter at all if this bill becomes law.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you will still be able to legally use these programs, provided you are playing for play chips [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If they make online gambling a felony in all states as it currently is in Washington (which isn't what this bill itself is intent on doing, as far as I know), then making a monetary bet online will be a felony. PartyPoker itself isn't going to be illegal, nor will playing poker on it be illegal, as long as no money is involved.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:04 AM

Inter-state horse betting is still allowed online with this bill (assuming it becomes law, which is fairly unlikely).

I'm fairly sure there are sites that allow wagering on God-blessed All-American thoroughbred racing that ALSO have poker rooms online.

Just saying, is all.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry for a potentially dumb post but please spell it out.

Does HR4411, in its current wording (as passed) affect neteller

1. in the xfer of $ from us bank account to neteller account?

2. in the xfer of $ from neteller account to us bank account?

assume neteller account holder is a US citizen using a US street address.

thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a very good article on the Bill at CardPlayer here.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Financial Institutions
The bill prohibits a gambling business from accepting certain forms of non-cash payments, including credit cards and electronic transfers, for the transmission of bets and wagers in violation of the Act.

The way I see it, this is the least of the threats, because as I explained above, (1) the gambling businesses are offshore and beyond U.S. jurisdiction, and (2) most banks and credit card companies already refuse to send money to offshore sites. Therefore, there are already offshore third-party companies in place that are more than happy to handle our financial transactions.

Government cannot stop its citizens from sending money out of the country for legitimate purposes. For example, if I want to buy a widget offshore, the Constitution protects my right to do so. As long as there is a third party, not involved in gaming, I am permitted to place my money in that receptacle from a U.S. financial institution and then spend it. Once my money goes to NETeller, I can buy a watch, pay for a trip, or even place that money in a gaming site. Because there are legally allowable things that can be done after sending the money to NETeller, the government cannot tell my bank not to send my money there. Our Constitution protects one's personal right to send money from a U.S. bank or financial institution to a business outside of the United States.

The company I mentioned is the popular NETeller. Others will soon appear on the horizon. NETeller happens to be a publicly traded company on the London AIM Exchange with a user base of more than 2.3 million customers. More than 1,700 online merchants accept payments through the NETeller system, and most of those companies are not gaming sites. With corporate headquarters in the Isle of Man, the company processes billions of dollars yearly. Companies like NETeller are not going to pack up and disappear. This legislation merely encourages more of the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-13-2006, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If ther eis one thing we can count on in the US...it's that our federal government will find ANY way to tax us more....and wont pass up a chance like this.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can not count on this when enough of Congress thinks they can gain votes by posturing to their 'family values' constituency. And if this bill is passed into law and a Federal beauracracy is put into place to enforce it, then that beauracracy will join the forces of those who are posturing for votes to make sure it is very difficult to undo the job.

You don't have to look any further than the marijuana laws to see a huge potential source of tax revenue that is illegal despite broad acceptance and use.

B.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If ther eis one thing we can count on in the US...it's that our federal government will find ANY way to tax us more....and wont pass up a chance like this.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can not count on this when enough of Congress thinks they can gain votes by posturing to their 'family values' constituency. And if this bill is passed into law and a Federal beauracracy is put into place to enforce it, then that beauracracy will join the forces of those who are posturing for votes to make sure it is very difficult to undo the job.

You don't have to look any further than the marijuana laws to see a huge potential source of tax revenue that is illegal despite broad acceptance and use.

B.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit of a stretch...

Poker doesnt equal pot to the masses....when was the last time you saw 10 old guys get together to do gravity bongs? Or pipes being advertised on TV?